Maple Mini DFU and Serial

STM32duino bootloader aka Maple bootloader
Pito

Maple Mini DFU and Serial

Post by Pito » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:52 am

Hi, I've got MM (and BP). Original Bloader.
The "driver" from Arduino_STM32 installed (install_drivers.bat). Win7 64b.
DFU mode works with MM fine, I've uploaded my test sketches and they work fine via serial1 uart.

However, I cannot get serial over usb working. Reading topics here it seems the serial should start when I reset while but pushed down.
I cannot see the new serial port in device manager. I see "Maple" in "Other devices" with exclamation mark - driver not installed.
Any hint plz?
Pukao Hats Cleaning Services Ltd.

mrburnette

Re: Maple Mini DFU and Serial

Post by mrburnette » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:09 pm

Remember, the bootloader serial is separate from the sketch serial. So, being able to load code to the MM does not mean that the sketch USB will automatically be recognized.

I think you should be able to use Device Manager and select the Maple device and reinstall the driver through the GUI.

I move over to Linux Mint late last year because of the Windows driver-signing nonsense. I'm an ex-MCSE and I would never go back to Win-anything.

Ray

Pito

Post by Pito » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:08 pm

No luck with serial. After several attempts reinstalling the driver (via device manager too) I cannot get it working. Sometimes I can see it as COM2x in usbdeview (not connected however), but not in device manager under Ports.
Anybody using it under win7 64bit??

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:33 pm

Maple mini works fine on W7 64bit
I use it in 3 different W7 64 machines with different motherboard chipsets

Did you upload a Blink sketch that also includes Serial.begin and Serial.print ?

Unless you load a sketch that uses USB serial, the USB serial device does not always appear.

Did you select the correct board type?

Pito

Post by Pito » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:45 am

>Did you upload a Blink sketch that also includes Serial.begin and Serial.print ?
Yes, all my sketches include Serial.begin or Serial.print (or Serial1.begin or Serial1.print).
Using Serial1 via uart - works fine.
Maple DFU works fine.

>Did you select the correct board type?
Maple Mini, Original 17k ram 108k flash.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:55 am

Umm.

Board settings seem OK.

Do you see an unrecognized device when the sketch is running.

Pito

Post by Pito » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:49 am

When the sketch was running I saw "Maple" with exclm mark in "Other devices".
After messing with the drivers I got once Maple inside "Ports" as "Maple" only (no COMxx indication).
I observed the stuff with usbdeview - I saw Maple serial driver there with ie COM25, but not active/connected. The usb dev info seems to be ok.
Tried to force a driver via Zadig, always got error with installation (3 drivers offered).

When I connect MM to Win it recognizes DFU (I see the DFU driver shortly in DevMan) then after a second it tries with Serial but ends up with no luck. I ran the driver_install.bat few times, I did also with manual installation out of the win driver folders.
I will try again this evening.

Let me recap to be sure I do it right :) :
1. the MM is disconnected from USB
2. Install drivers_install.bat (ne error indicated, I tried with MM connected and disconnected during the install)
3. connect MM to USB (my sketch had been uploaded before via DFU, it includes a) Serial.begin() or b)Serial1.begin() etc., works fine via serial Uart)
4. the sound of connecting, I see DFU driver shortly in DevMan, then it disconnects from DFU after a second
5. the sound of connecting again to Serial, in DevMan I see "Maple" in "Other devices" with yellow triangle - a driver problem.

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:00 pm

@Pito,

You may need to use Device Manager to delete completely the MM and Plug&Play association. In the process, you may wish to clean up some of your phantom comm connections ... unless you really have 20+ USB serial devices. The process is here: I summerize below...
The trick was to open the Command Prompt as administrator and start the Device Manager from the same command prompt.
1. Right-click “Command Prompt” in Accessories and choose “Run as Administrator”
2. Enter “set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1″ – without the quotes obviously
3. Enter “start devmgmt.msc”
4. In the box that opens, select “Show hidden devices” in the ‘view’ menu.
Now if you expand the section on COM ports, all the COM ports that have ever
been created will be displayed, the non present ones being in grey. You can
uninstall away anything that you don’t want (right click, select uninstall).
http://www.fettesps.com/how-to-remove-c ... re-in-use/
Specific to MM, when asked about deleting the driver physical copy, respond 'yes'. Then use the .bat file to reinstall the association.

Good luck,

Ray

Pito

Post by Pito » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:13 pm

The same. Enclosed the usbdeview report on both Maple DFU and Serial after cleaning and fresh install the association via .bat
Installed from trunk. While DFU data seem to be complete, some Serial info is missing.
Attachments
USB Devices List report.rar
(1.16 KiB) Downloaded 163 times

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:15 pm

Perplexing. I'm not USB savvy 'nuff to really know how the enumeration should look, I'm generally inclined to compare outputs from similar machines, but in this case, all of my Arduino stuff has moved from Windows to Linux. If you give a reference to download the specific tool you are using, maybe one of our Windows members can do a compare.

Ray