Maple Mini DFU and Serial

STM32duino bootloader aka Maple bootloader
Pito

Re: Maple Mini DFU and Serial

Post by Pito » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:57 am

I did with zadig 2.1. (see my post above), I got 3x error while installed the offered drivers for Maple. But I will try again..
OK I have installed the USB CDC driver from the zadig 2.2.689 and now I can see Maple in Ports.. :D
Hello via USB Serial.JPG
Thanks Vassilis!
Last edited by Pito on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pukao Hats Cleaning Services Ltd.

Vassilis

Post by Vassilis » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:14 am

I told you :D
Well done!

Pito

Post by Pito » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:49 am

Now, before people start to desolder their chips or reinstall their Win7 :), what is the right way to install the drivers??

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:57 am

Normally the bat file works OK.

I'm not sure why it didnt work for you.

Basically from Windows 7 onwards, Windows only allows "signed" drivers to be installed. To get drivers signed by Mirco$oft costs $$$$ and is basically a non-starter for Open Source or non commercial projects.

But drivers can be self signed.

Luckily we are not the only group that needs drivers, so there was existing code to simpify the self signing process

https://github.com/pbatard/libwdi

One of the community members wrote a custom version of libwdi to support the Maple drivers.

Anyway, I think libwdi works for most people, but it doesn't seem to work for everyone, and I've no idea why this is.

I must admit I can't recall if installing the drivers before or after connecting the Maple mini is the best option - but someone else may know.

stevech

Post by stevech » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:35 am

I think that signed driver policy began with Win 10; could be wrong.

Are self-signed drivers the same as the widely know awkward procedure to install unsigned drivers in win 10?

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:15 am

@stevech

I'm pretty sure that driver signing came in with W7.

XP didnt have it. We still have the legacy XP drivers, but they can't be used on W7 or newer.

Luckily W10 seems to be basically the same as W7,8,and 8.1, and the libwdi still seems to work on W10.

stevech

Post by stevech » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:37 pm

RogerClark wrote:@stevech

I'm pretty sure that driver signing came in with W7.
Yes, but my experience is that it became mandatory in win 10, though there's an awkward way around it. It's such that most people won't know how to find how to do the work around.

jaromir

Post by jaromir » Tue May 03, 2016 1:02 pm

I can confirm that installing drivers from bat file in stm32duino drivers folder didn't install the driver properly and I had exactly the same symptoms as pito had. I had to install usb CDC driver via zadig tool - though not using maple board, but generic blue pill, but I don't think it makes much difference here.
My OS is Win7 Professional, SP1, x64

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Tue May 03, 2016 5:27 pm

jaromir wrote:I can confirm that installing drivers from bat file in stm32duino drivers folder didn't install the driver properly and I had exactly the same symptoms as pito had. I had to install usb CDC driver via zadig tool - though not using maple board, but generic blue pill, but I don't think it makes much difference here.
My OS is Win7 Professional, SP1, x64
.. but on the other side of the coin, while running Windows 8.1 Professional, the .bat worked perfectly for me with a Maple Mini clone and I successfully got maybe 9 out of 10 perfect downloads. Maybe it is like a doctor giving a vaccination; you know, sometimes the vaccination "takes" and other times, the vaccination does work as expected. Linux Mint, however, is better than Windows but still not 100%.

Anyone that demands 100% perfect downloads 100% of the time, really should back off the STM32 bootloader and go to a different, less problematic flash methodology.

Ray

Pito

Post by Pito » Tue May 03, 2016 6:25 pm

Maybe it is like a doctor giving a vaccination; you know, sometimes the vaccination "takes" and other times, the vaccination does work as expected.
Imagine IT would work that way :)