Need help, Bricked Chinese Mini Maple

STM32duino bootloader aka Maple bootloader
Nutsy

Need help, Bricked Chinese Mini Maple

Post by Nutsy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:37 pm

I've been struggling to upgrade the Chinese Maple Mini i got off ebay to the new boot loader.
I've tried using rogers stm32flash for mac program but I just get failed to init device.

i even tried the sketch method of flashing... Thats where my accident started. Hitting Y i got a warning that it failed to flash... Kept trying got same error. Me being stupid decided to remove the if statement; if (!writeChunk(chunk, size, &bootloader))
So it ran the update and I even got the update completed successfully message so it dumped the bit data...

However on restarting the Mini clone the blue like just came on... no flashing and nothing.

Mac no longer shows a Maple in the connected to USB devices...

Again I tried to run the stm32flash in terminal and still wouldnt init and upload the bootloader...

Have I got a dead for good Maple Mini or can I fix it?

I've been using a cheap usb to serial. TX going to RX1 and RX going to TX1 pins 25 and 26... Is there something else I must do to get the flasher to work? Am i missing some thing? (other than a brain)

Please help

Nutsy

Re: Need help, Bricked Chinese Mini Maple

Post by Nutsy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:15 pm

Little update. Ive managed to work out how to get it into serial boot mode and the smt32flash program can now start up... But I now get a new error; Can't initiate chip erase, failed to erase memory.

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:24 pm

Actually, I nearly fixed it. Managed to flash the 2.0 bin file on. It coems up as Maple 003 in mac usb hardware list... But I cant upload any sketches to it through the usb from the ide... Any ideas?

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:21 pm

Okay went back to the original boot loader, the mini led is flashing again... But not showing up as USB...

So i read that you have to upload a sketch to get back sketch uploading from the ide... So umm.
What sketch and how do you upload it through serial?

ahull

Post by ahull » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:10 pm

Not sure if this will help but you might find this useful. https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... from-Linux
- Andy Hull -

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:35 pm

I know you managed to flash the bootloader in the end, but just a note for other users...

The Maple Mini does not pull pin Boot1 low ( I forget what pin number that is on a maple mini)

So if you enter the internal bootloader by holding down the button while you reset the board, Its possible Boot1 will float high, and the internal bootloader will put the upload into RAM not flash.

On my board, it seemed random whether Boot1 was high or low, so sometimes it would upload into flash and sometimes into RAM.

So its best to pull Boot1 low when using the internal bootloader

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:42 pm

Sadly im not sure that helps...

I have a Uno as well, if I can put a sketch on that that would upload a working bootloader and sketch uploader into the Mini... I mean, I think I read in other threads that you need to install a sketch with the USB modem in the code... but Ive not seen any sketches for it and how can I upload a sketch? I've tried doing it with the STM32flash program. But that just leaves the maple mini dead. Doesnt run at all it seems.

Sorry just so I understand right... You say pulled low or high... Do you mean ground the pin for high or leave unconnected for low? Pin marked 2 on my board

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:47 am

Connect Boot1 to GND

Normally you'd do this through a resistor, just in case the code was pulling the pin high

Re: Sketch to upload the bootloader

I think that does exist, but I think it uses Serial (and I can't remember who wrote it, or where it is. Its possibly written my @jcw of jeelabs)

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:47 am

Thanks Roger... Also i think i found out the problem...

Ive got it working and unbricked and I can upload sketched form the IDE. The DFU util spots it and uploads through USB. A port isnt listed but doesnt seem to stop upload now, i assume thats only required for serial feedback?

I think the issue lied with the maple mini 2.0 boot loader. Maybe its not quite configured correctly? Or this maple mini board doesnt match up to the one that boot loader was made for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152115041250? ... EBIDX%3AIT
thats the one i have. It doesnt say Maple Mini like some of the blue boards, just says BTE14-07. It seems pretty well soloderd on, just 1 slightly wonky micro resistor.

I also dont seem to need to ground boot1 the boot loader installed fine.

Ive installed the maple Rev 3 bootloader. That seems to work...

The LED flashes and when a sketch starts it turns off... Is that how its meant to be?

Mind if I ask whats the real difference between the bootloaders?

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:55 am

Sorry Ill correct myself... A port does now show up o.O straaaaanngggeeness