Arduino TFT libraries compatibility

ChrisMicro

Re: Arduino TFT libraries compatibility

Post by ChrisMicro » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:46 pm

Then I remembered https://xkcd.com/927/, and dropped the idea.
Yes, it is always a problem with standards. But despite of this yoke, standards do exist.

One type or standard is the standard designed from people sitting around a green table:
all fantasies are included and every one has problems implementing it over the next ten years.

Other standards evolve during time: Their sheer number will lead to declaring it at some point as standard.

From a point of Arduino-view I would say: close to a standard is Adafruit-GFX and its drawing functions and probably the best way to adapt written software is to write small classes which David calls "glue" and I call "wrapper".
Efficiency might be a problem.

david.prentice

Post by david.prentice » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:46 pm

C++ Compilers are pretty clever. I would not worry too much about efficiency. It is seldom noticeable.

Templates and inheritance works slightly differently.

I have got to a stage where MCUFRIEND_kbv has so many initialisation sequences that it is significant on a Uno.
Which means that the "less common" controllers are conditionally supported. So you no longer have the situation where "anything" will plug and go.

Olikraus has a better system with u8glib. But you have to know exactly what hardware you have before you write the constructor.

Hey-ho. At least STM32 has more Flash to play around with.

I do think that it would be wise for Libraries to run on different platforms. i.e. make it painless for a Mega or Due program to work out of the box on STM32. Ok, you will always have a lowest common denominator but no one minds if an extra "bell or whistle" needs the bigger Flash or faster CPU. Just as long as the basics work.

David.

danieleff

Post by danieleff » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:01 pm

I got to make your library work on my F411, but I had to #define STM32L476xx and ARDUINO_NUCLEO_L476RG in top of mcufriend_shield.h.

It will be a pain if every nucleo board needs to be spelled out one by one. (plus had to add one more WR_ACTIVE; to WRITE_DELAY to not have corrupt screen. what joy)