DeltaSigma PWM audio Output

Can someone help me port this library?
martinayotte

DeltaSigma PWM audio Output

Post by martinayotte » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:34 am

I was looking at his thread on ESP forums, a MP3 WebRadio outputted on plain GPIO pin :

http://www.esp8266.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... =40#p21048

Victor ? are you the same Victor "pvvx" author of this work on ESP ?

If Yes, do you plan to port some of this work to the STM2duino ?

Ciao ! ;)

victor_pv

Re: DeltaSigma PWM audio Output

Post by victor_pv » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:51 am

I'm not the same, but is funny I was reading about using PWM for audio output, guessing that we have a bunch of timers with DMA capabilities that could be easily used for that, even for an stereo output... without much CPU usage for the output part.
But I have done nothing about it except download an MP3 decoder project for the STM32F4 that I intended to try to port at some point...

EDIT: I had a quick look, this looks really cool. I have a few ESP laying around that I need to put to some use...

EDIT2: had a bit better look, I don't think this should be difficult to port at all. We could use 2 channels of a single timer to do PWM output. We have freeRTOS and CoOS working already.
Last edited by victor_pv on Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

martinayotte

Post by martinayotte » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:11 am

Ah ! Ok ! (I came to this possible coincidence because "victor_pv" ~= "Victor pvvx" :? )

@matthias, our audio expert, what do you think about that ? do you think is is worth to have it ported ?

madias

Post by madias » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:50 am

I've done only a quick look at https://github.com/espressif/esp8266_mp3_decoder
This is the most interesting part for me: How to implement a mp3 software decoder. As I know the sw codex is much RAM intensive, so I read:
The MP3 example is a very memory-sensitive piece of code: the MP3 decoder uses almost all the RAM and the needed buffers for input and output buffering take up the rest: when using no external SPI RAM, only a few bytes of memory are left. The SDK libs that come with this example are libraries that have been optimized for memory usage and are known to work.
and further:
Support all ESP2866 modules (512 Kbytes flash)
Free Flash (512 Kbytes): 200 Kbytes. Free Heap: 20 Kbytes.
MP3-decodec-out uses IRAM Buffer > 20 Kbytes (IRAM: 48k + 16k cache Flash):
The specs for the ESP8266 are:
[*]64KBytes of instruction RAM
[*]96KBytes of data RAM

So I doubt getting mp3-sw-decoding, pwm-out plus frontend (incl. hardware like display...) working on a medium-density device. It's more a job for the high-density ones - and they have I2S on board, so no fooling around with PWM-delta-sigma audio would be necessary (I2S DAC's costs about a few cent up to 2-3 USD).

So maybe using the PWM-delta-sigma code for something else than mp3 (or any other compressed audio format) like speaking alarm clocks,...? This should be possible!

Off topic:
A really impressing demo of what can be done with pwm-audio (using 2 pins) even on AVR's is the outstanding mozzi library:
http://sensorium.github.io/Mozzi/

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:22 am

I really don't think its worth the effort, even if it was just about possible

VS1053 boards are less than $10, and we have a lib for them (thanks to vasillis)
$10 http://www.ebay.com/itm/VS1053-MP3-Modu ... 4853e421c4

Offloading MP3 (or WAV etc) playback to external hardware is most likely the best option as it leaves the main processor free to do some other things

madias

Post by madias » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:37 am

I really don't think its worth the effort, even if it was just about possible
I agree if the goal is to build up a whole audio player. If you wanna use only some audio files for your project (acoustic feedback), because you are annoyed of the beeping of microwave oven, than a smart 2-pin-pwm resolution isn't a bad idea (you only need two girls resistors and a cap):
http://sensorium.github.io/Mozzi/learn/output/

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:31 am

Matthias

Thanks for the link to the Mozzi wiring diagram. I wondered why it needed 2 pins.

i agree. Mozzi sounds excellent, so perhaps we should port it t STM32.

i have looked at audio playback on AVR before, which used multiple pins, but it was not as clever as Mozzi. I cant remember the name of the library, but it just played beeps on multiple pins, so that you could have very basic polyphonic music e.g. like cheap musical christmas cards.

But Mozzi sounds amazing. I presume that the 2 bits, give output levels. I wonder if its scalable to more pins ?

madias

Post by madias » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:40 pm

Yes, indeed, there is *really* much brain behind that technology. It's well explained at http://www.openmusiclabs.com/learning/d ... -circuits/
Porting mozzi to stm32duino is a huge project, the author is a maniac (positive meaning!) Read the "Caveats and Workarounds" on front page. I've done a closer look at the code and there is much low level content. There was a plan for porting the lib to DUE, but I think the author stopped that, because of teensy support. So a port to STM32 is possible, but you need to look into many *.h and *.c files, because there is sadly no common hardware setup file, as you can see on the many #ifdefs for teensy. No problem should be to rewrite the timer libraries (maybe a good idea to rewrite/wrap the prjc timerX libraries at all, they are nearly "standard" ).
I don't think there is much benefit in scaling more pins, because even for 14 bit dualPWM you need a resisior accuracy of 0.78% (see the table in the openmusic document) and for triplePWM you'll get in serious troubles matching the resistors at all! So mozzis 14bit for hi-res audio is honestly and trustworthy, everything else (above 14bit) would be a sham and waste of resources.

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:47 pm

madias wrote: <...>
the author is a maniac (positive meaning!)
Oh, yea... I drove into some of his FFT stuff a couple of years back and my head is still mushy from the experience!

Ray

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:14 pm

The mp3 decoder running in the ESP seems to have been ported from an NXP port of the decoder.

According to NXP application note:

Code: Select all

1.7 Memory requirements
The EFSL and the libmad libraries consume memory to work. The amount of the memory
is about:
Table 1. Memory requirements for the MP3 player demo
RAM [kB] Code [kB]
Libmad + EFSL 33 109 
I will have a look at the application note to see where is most of that RAM used, but if it is in the decoder, little we can do.

So probably not easy if possible at all to fit in the C8/CB chips, but should fit on an RCT with 48KB.

NXP also has another application note on another mp3 decoder (helix) which is the one I have seen ported to the STM32 F4 series.

I will anyway try to write a timer/DMA based PWM audio player, will come handy for playing wav files directly from an SD card on chips without the DAC.