New registratiion rules to reduce bot registration

Information on the latest releases
RogerClark

New registratiion rules to reduce bot registration

Post by RogerClark » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:15 am

The forum is increasingly getting AI bots registered who make semi meaningful posts but which just clutter up the site and potentially could swamp the site if their overloads decide to do so.

After discussion with some other members, I'm going to change the site permissions so that newly registered users need to first post to "New users post here, and let us know a bit about you and your projects"

viewforum.php?f=2

I know this seems like a bit of an imposition, but it is for the benefit of the vast majority of users who (hopefully) are not AI bots ;-)

RogerClark

Re: New registratiion rules to reduce bot registration

Post by RogerClark » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:00 pm

Guys

Its taken a while to find out how to change the permissions on the site to disallow new users from posting anywhere except the "New users must post here first..." section

Its a bit time consuming to set this up, as it involves manually setting multiple checkboxes, so I'll make the change over the next day or two when I get time

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:14 pm

OK

I think I've managed to change the permissions so that new users have to post to the New Users section first

Next job is working out why we have 800 members who are fully registered but who never made a post.

I'll PM the most recent of these and see if they reply

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:27 pm

does being marked as new users affect their reading or downloading attachment privileges ?
if it doesn,t then mark them as new users; in effect that's what they are as they haven't posted anything.
stephen

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:33 pm

I just changed it so that they can't post.

They can still view the whole site and also download any attachments, etc

Note.

The "newusertest" is me. I had to create a new user who has not posted, so that I can test what a new user can and cant do.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:38 pm

zmemw16 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:27 pm
does being marked as new users affect their reading or downloading attachment privileges ?
if it doesn,t then mark them as new users; in effect that's what they are as they haven't posted anything.
stephen
BTW.

Running some other analysis on the site, your GeoIP location does not match the location you put in your details.

@pito is the same, he reports as Rapa Nui but thats not where he actually is. (He has posted is in the northern hemisphere and Rapa Nui , is Easter Island which is definitely in the southern hemisphere.)

PS. I do not run Google Analytics on the site, its just the tools in PHPBB

ahull

Post by ahull » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:10 pm

I'm not sure how reliable the geo-location results are likely to be. My ISP thinks I'm in Bath. :lol: You might think they would be slightly closer, since they do actually manage to send me a bill every month to the correct address. I guess they did actually manage to get the correct hemisphere, if not the correct country.
- Andy Hull -

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:23 pm

Thanks andy.

perhaps some lookup databases are better than others.

I normally find what looks in the USA and here in Australia seem to be pretty accurate, but perhaps the same does not apply in the Uk - which is good for your privacy

zoomx

Post by zoomx » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:42 am

GeoIP works well when you have a public IP. Some ISP in Italy use private network (mobile and WiFi usually) and you are behind a NAT so the public IP that you see can be very far.