USB reset issue in the Bootloader and libmaple core

Information on the latest releases
mrburnette

Re: USB reset issue in the Bootloader and libmaple core

Postby mrburnette » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:43 pm

SukkoPera wrote:Nope, that's not the problem.

I also noticed that when I get the serial monitor working, I can't upload any programs unless I close it, as it keeps the port busy.

Working Maple Mini configurations have a "reset" circuit onboard. Your s/w configuration is not sending the reset sequence OR your board is not responding to the signal (hardware.)

Ray

Added: Regardless of the OS (Win , OSX, Linux) no one has reported 100% reset activity... I'm about 95% but sometimes even my system fails to work as designed. Get use to it.

SukkoPera

Postby SukkoPera » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:54 pm

Agreed, I can live with that. I'm more concerned about how hard it is to get anything showing on my serial monitor. :o

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:19 pm

The Serial terminal issue is almost the same on the PC.

The IDE will re-upload with the Serial terminal open, but the terminal does not reconnect after upload, and you have to close it and open it again manually.

zmemw16

Postby zmemw16 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:17 pm

linux debian jessie 64bit,
(1.6.9) i can confirm the maple mini and single sketch and that it then requires the Maple mini to be set into dfu mode to load another sketch.

(1.6.5) i can also confirm the port busy message, i thought i'd posted that somewhere.
(1.6.5) extraordinarily long time for serial monitor to open, already posted.
(1.6.5) i also have the maple bootloader update sketch issue, once the serial monitor opens it just sits.

i'm hard put to think any company would just say live with it for an issue in their product or toolchain, oh i forget, that's M$.
just me or even if i was a company i still don't think i'd be too inclined to continue with a supplier after those words.

support tools are the bricks you build on, they need to be solid, if you start doubting them, it's becomes a problem.
yes i also have binaries for 32bit and 64bit trees of all the linux tools to copy as required and i seriously dislike having to repeat tasks.
in about 20yrs, i've only seen one error in the g++ code, a colleague spent a week tracking it down and reducing it to a test case to report it. drove her bats for more than a month though. :evil: :lol:

variables, windows(7,8,10 whichever)? linux, 32bit/64bit(also for windows maybe?), maple mini, the pills, bootloader, serial, serialusb(?), oops almost forgot arduino; historical results are 1.6.5, above were with 1.6.9 last night.

debian jessie all the way though this. updated very regularly.
i was having issues prior to xmas, 32bit at that point, still have same ones on 64bit, also i wasn't doing anything with the boot loader upgrade, leaving it well alone until its rate of change fell significantly.
when i did do an upgrade of a bunch of my maples this year, i don't recall any immediate issues.

predominantly my upload method is via st-link, probably in response to not getting much success with other methods

does anyone ever recall thinking they'd uploaded a sketch, seen the dfu '#####'s and it ran the previous sketch?

stephen

mrburnette

Postby mrburnette » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:45 pm

zmemw16 wrote:linux debian jessie 64bit,
<...>
stephen

I'm running 64-bit Mint 17.3 on a 4G RAM dual-core Intel (2.4G) Acer notebook. I tested first with 32-bit live CD before I wiped Win8.1.
Overall, the Linux experience with Mint is suburb.

As I am only using the Maple Mini Baite clone for STM32F1xx (I do have a barebone STM32F103C8T6 board under $2 USD on order just to get a feel for how those other members are faring with the various other upload methods.) I have to admit, MM has spoiled me as I rarely have any issues under Linux... far less than under Windows USB on the same PC hardware. With MM under Windows, everything worked about 9 times out of 10 but now it is better under Linux ... maybe as good as 95%.

But...

As good as the Maple Mini is under Linux, the ESP8266 NodeMCU is better behaved since it has the CH340 onboard ... I never have to close the Monitor window ... compile 'n upload in ArduinoIDE now just works and the Monitor will refresh (clear) and acquire focus when the upload has completed and the sketch comes online. It's very cool.

I suspect an Arduino Nano would perform the same way but I have not verified.

Ray

SukkoPera

Postby SukkoPera » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:08 pm

I did all of my testing with 1.6.9, as I like to use the latest versions of tools. Though I must admit that the version numbering scheme used in Arduino is somewhat questionable to say the least, as they are introducing massive changes just changing the revision number. For instance 1.6.4 brought in the Board Manager, which was quite a revolution, while one would just expect a few bugfixes wrt 1.6.3!

Anyway, is there a company behind STM32duino, or is it just some skilled individual's effort? Again, I am new to this but, as I understand, Leaflabs is not supporting the project, which is led by Roger in his spare time instead. Am I wrong? If I'm correct, the "live with it" approach is fine to me, I don't think you can expect anything more in this case. The project is open, so anybody who doesn't like this is free to join and change things.

My experience with Arduino shows that most boards are very reliable regarding serial communication, even the Leonardo and Due which use serial over USB. I don't really know why I am having these issues with the STM32.

zmemw16

Postby zmemw16 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:15 pm

oh dear,
additionally a nano and a virgin BMM are not seen when plugged into the usb3(2) on laptop left, but seen if in the usb2(1) on right

seems i left out usb2.0/usb3.0 as a variable :(

so what happens with a usb2.0/3.0 combo hub with usb3.0 out into usb3.0? seems ok, although i tend to plug into the usb2.0 ports. on lenovo at the moment.

i have a nano and a virgin BMM (so dfu) to play with.
so what happens with a usb2.0 hub into usb3.0? with asus seems ok, but my device soft links don't always appear.
e.g. mainly i see

Code: Select all

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root             7 Jun  9 17:02 Nano_0 -> ttyUSB0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root dialout   188,   0 Jun  9 17:02 ttyUSB0
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129 Card Reader Controller
Bus 001 Device 004: ID b49a:04f2 
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:57b5 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 032: ID 1a86:7523 QinHeng Electronics HL-340 USB-Serial adapter
Bus 001 Device 033: ID 1eaf:0003 
Bus 001 Device 029: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. 4-Port HUB
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 10c4:8105 Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

or sometimes this

Code: Select all

crw-------  1 root root      188,   0 Jun  9 17:01 ttyUSB0
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129 Card Reader Controller
Bus 001 Device 004: ID b49a:04f2 
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:57b5 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 031: ID 1a86:7523 QinHeng Electronics HL-340 USB-Serial adapter
Bus 001 Device 030: ID 1eaf:0003 
Bus 001 Device 029: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. 4-Port HUB
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 10c4:8105 Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

usb2.0 hub 4 switched ports switched, with psu, has one of those really diddy connectors. using a 5v 1A with only 2 ports on.

is it just this asus a555d with this issue?
nope, it's the same on my lenovo i7

stephen

rolo644u

Postby rolo644u » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:45 pm

SukkoPera wrote:maybe if rolo can give it a try...

I did, works fine on my board !

For reference, I'm using windows 10, STLink-V2 USB to flash the bin file. Did an "Erase Chip" first.
I use the development branche files.

mrburnette

Postby mrburnette » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:38 pm

SukkoPera wrote:<...>
Anyway, is there a company behind STM32duino, or is it just some skilled individual's effort? Again, I am new to this but, as I understand, Leaflabs is not supporting the project, which is led by Roger in his spare time instead. Am I wrong? If I'm correct, the "live with it" approach is fine to me, I don't think you can expect anything more in this case. The project is open, so anybody who doesn't like this is free to join and change things.

My experience with Arduino shows that most boards are very reliable regarding serial communication, even the Leonardo and Due which use serial over USB. I don't really know why I am having these issues with the STM32.
Everything is Spare Time."

A few skilled individuals, but Roger pays the bills and manages github. There is a history https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/Arduino_STM32#background--support

The project is open, so anybody who doesn't like this is free to join and change things.

Should read, "try and change things." Of course, you can clone the github and 'go your own way.'

I do not understand your issues either, my MM's are very solid, but I buy only fro Baite Webstore. Bad experience with eBay.

Some of the members have devised a working serial reboot circuit for some of the boards. Most of us are self-sufficient and do not overly post about day-day failures... all part of being on a non-supported product. Most call if fun.

Ray

SukkoPera

Postby SukkoPera » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:57 pm

mrburnette wrote:
SukkoPera wrote:Most of us are self-sufficient and do not overly post about day-day failures... all part of being on a non-supported product. Most call if fun.

As I already said, that's fine. I only need to understand which failures are to be expected and which are my fault. I don't think I am overly posting complaint. Actually I think I have been pretty collaborative, did my own hacking and came up with a bootloader that solved my own issues. I even contributed that to the forum, helping another user who had my same problems.

Thanks @rolo for the test!

Return to “Builds and Announcements”