STM have developed a HAL MX core

Information on the latest releases
RogerClark

STM have developed a HAL MX core

Postby RogerClark » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:30 pm

I received some exciting news from STM this evening, as they (STM) have developed a core for the Arduino IDE.

I don't have too many details at the moment, but I understand that STM are going to do a public release of the code later this week (or possibly next week), to github

I had phone conference with STM this evening, and I said they can use the other github account which I manage (http://github.com/stm32duino) - and I have given them write access to create a repo .

As far as I can tell, release is more like a public Beta than an absolutely finished product, as it will only support a small proportion of their STM32 MCU's, but the idea is that that one from major series' e.g. F1 series, one from F4 , one from L4 etc will be part of the release.

As would be expected the core is based on the HAL, and I think from files exported from the STM32 Cube MX, like the core developed by @ sheepdoll.

I have advised them, that its best to prioritise the STM32F103 for the initial release and also to follow that closely by the F4.
So hopefully this will be the order in which they are released.

As far as I can tell the only upload method that has been developed is for Nucleo boards and may be via mass storage or via STLink.

So we will definitely need to make changes to, or fork the repo to add support for the bootloader and other upload methods.

Thats about all the information I have at the moment, but hopefully the code will be made available at the end of the week, so we can take a close look.

mrburnette

Re: STM have developed a HAL MX core

Postby mrburnette » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:54 pm

This is, in my mind, a rather "WOW" announcement since I would not have believed that STM would have made this move into an ArduinoIDE integrated core. My suspicions are that STM32duino has created a momentum sufficient to capture Corporate's attention and therefore they wish to take a guiding role in the Arduino process and perhaps provide a smoother migration to their desired development environment. Of course, IoT could also be causing them some direction changes as they compete with RF products also containing ARM microcontrollers and Chinese silicon.

I will be most interested to see what actually transpires. Congrats Roger for creating a 'movement' ;)

Ray

zmemw16

Postby zmemw16 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:18 pm

last guy who did that was Linus someone :D
srp

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:19 pm

Ray

Yes. It is rather a WOW moment.

In my phone conversation with Laurent at STM, they did not seem to want to take control.

I offered them the use of the stm32duino "organisation" account on github, but I still ratain control as I am still the "owner", the STM guys are "members" ( these are the github terms not mine ;-) )

And I think I have steered them so that they initial release will be for the F103 rather than, the STM32L4 , which was their marketing departments preference ( but would not be much use to the existing community , because of lack of affordable hardware).

I will PM. some more forum members today, e.g. @grumpoldpizza as he wrote a repo to support some L series hardware ( I think it was L0 ).
But I ran out if time last night.

I may see if I can get them to do a private release of the code to me, sooner than the public release, as I would then be in a better position to advise about what the community needs.
But we'll see how that goes.

I dont know how long the team at STM will be assigned to this. I got the feeling that this was a temporary assignment for the 3 guys who are involved, and after that, support within STM will be limited.

However if we can get the issues ironed out quickly we can make the most of this temporary resource, for everyones's mutual benefit

martinayotte

Postby martinayotte » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:31 pm

I hope they will do the same with a bunch of other variant, such the F476 ... ;)

Rick Kimball

Postby Rick Kimball » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:42 pm

RogerClark wrote:In my phone conversation with Laurent at STM, they did not seem to want to take control.

I'm glad to see they don't want to take control. Marketing organizations in hardware companies seem to want to check a lot of boxes regardless of whether it actually works or not and then walk away. Having them provide some short term dedicated resources seems like a decent way to kickstart a HAL based framework that probably will check all the boxes and be reasonably complete.

Hopefully, they will attack some of the things missing or not well supported in the existing core. It would be awesome if the HAL core provides some of the missing USB devices like USB Audio, USB CDC, USB HID, USB Gadget, USB Keyboard, USB Mouse, and USB MassStorage.

-rick
-rick

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:50 pm

Martin

I asked them to prioritise F103, then F40x , and then L0, after that things are a bit more undefined.

I asked about F7 but they had not done any work on that, which surprised me.

I will see if they have any resources to at least start in the F7

Rick

I did ask about the items we dont currently have, e.g. SDIO, CAN but I didnt ask about the USB stuff.

The HAL already has some of the USB devices you mentioned, but I think the difficulty will be that I dont think the HAL is setup as a composite device. So its just one device type at a time.

Ideally the this would be setup as a composite device with pick-and-mix ability to add devices, preferably dynamically in the code ( not just hard wired at compile time)

But I dont know if the resources they have available, would be able to program something like that, as USB is a bit of an art form

But we can add it to a wish list ;-)

zoomx

Postby zoomx » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:35 am

:shock:
WOW!

testato

Postby testato » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:06 am

Incredible news.
This can win on Mbed ?
Mbed already have usb, can, etc. But he do not have a simple and stable offline ide+toolchain.

Another milestone is a rtos integration in the api. Mbed already have OS thread in the Api.

May you suggest OS integration in the priority list ?

The Bluepill board will become immediately most famous than Uno :D

GrumpyOldPizza

Postby GrumpyOldPizza » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:18 am

RogerClark wrote:I will PM. some more forum members today, e.g. @grumpoldpizza as he wrote a repo to support some L series hardware ( I think it was L0 ).
But I ran out if time last night.

STM32L4 that is. Best of the bunch from ST for allaround, really. So I understand the marketing department there.

Did they go into which hardware platforms ? I mean they do their Nucleo boards. So it seems that would be their interest, rather than generic 3rd party boards.

Return to “Builds and Announcements”