wiki.stm32duino account creation disabled due to spam

Information on the latest releases
RogerClark

wiki.stm32duino account creation disabled due to spam

Post by RogerClark » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:44 am

Guys

I've had to disable non verified account creation on the wiki.stm32duino.com as the wiki has been bombarded with spam and it looks like its going to take me a while to get rid of it all

Unfortunately I can't simply restore a backup as there are legitimate edits as well as spam over the last 2 or 3 days

I'm not sure if I'll need to disable public wiki access to the github wiki as well, but perhaps github is not so prone to this

neo2121

Re: wiki.stm32duino account creation disabled due to spam

Post by neo2121 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:00 pm

Is there no way to put a Recaptcha on it or something similar to stop spam? Let me know if i can help, I don't have experience with wiki systems, but I'm a PHP/HTML developer.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:40 pm

I think there is a way to add that, but I found most generic anti spam measures didnt work on this forum.

What worked was to ask a technical question, ( albeit a simple one about the LED pin on a Uno board), because either the spam is generated by bots or by people who have no way to look up the answers to questions etc.

I am sure there would be a way to add such a question to the mediawiki account creation page, but i am not sure if there is a plugin architecture for this, or whether it would mean changing some pages and making them non static.

I had thought of manually moderating the requests, but I could not see an option on mediawiki to do that, and looking at the volume of spam users that were created in 2 or 3 days, I now think I would get swamped in spam account creation emails, e.g 50 or more a day. So that would not be workable.

The other option, though I dont know if its too late, is to use the forum's DB for the wiki's user DB.

Apparently this is possible, but there is a problem in that all mediawiki user names must be lower case, but PHPBB ( the forum ) allows upper and lower case.

So people have issues when PHPBB users have accounts with upper case names.

But there is probably a way to query mysql in a case insensitive way on the BB, which may be a solution to this.

ddrown

Post by ddrown » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:26 pm

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:10 pm

Thanks dan

I guess I will give that a try, but carefully monitor what happens.

As Im still getting multiple bounced email registration notifications from the wiki, after 3 days of rampant spam-botting

ddrown

Post by ddrown » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:24 pm

Yeah, wiki spam is a huge target. Botters love it. Let me know if I can help with it.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:05 pm

OK
I will try to find time to install that question / answer extension today

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:23 am

ddrown wrote:Yeah, wiki spam is a huge target. Botters love it. Let me know if I can help with it.
That plugin was already in the extensions, but it looks like its not turned on by default

So I added the code as show on the Mediawiki page, and I have just enabled it for account creation and adding a new page and also adding a hyperlink.

I have re-enabled account creation, so I'll need to monitor very carefully whether new accounts are still getting created by spambots

Actually I may manually turn off account creation at night, as it will be a pain to wake up and find 100 new accounts + spam I have to remove

ddrown

Post by ddrown » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:14 pm

Ok. I've added http://wiki.stm32duino.com/index.php?ti ... entChanges to my RSS reader to keep an eye on it

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:10 pm

dan

Thanks

I checked that page as soon as I could this morning, and things seem Ok at the moment.

I did however get one email bounce during the last 8 hours, so I will need to open the attached data file in a text editor and see if it came from the wiki or the forum.

I got a load of bounced emails when the site was getting spammed as the bots often give false email addresses

Edit

That bounced email was nor from a Wiki registration.

Someone sent a message via the BBS contact the admin system, but didnt give a valid email address. So when I replied it bounced.

I really wonder how people expect me to communicate with them, when they don't enter valid email addresses in either their forum registration or other communications to me (arrrggghhhh).......