PHPBB hosting issues and problems at HostGator

Information on the latest releases
User avatar
ddrown
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:49 am

Re: PHPBB hosting issues and problems at HostGator

Postby ddrown » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:58 pm

RogerClark wrote:
BennehBoy wrote:Great to see that support is on the ball


Well, I practically had to their job for them ;-)
Told HG where to look and organise all the other customers with the same problem to post pertinent details about what servers they are on and when the problem started

Until I did that, HG were unable to fix the problem


What did the problem end up being? Did they have a reverse proxy cache set too agressively?

Edit: "We added some additional rules particularly relating to Apache, Nginx configuration changes and cache-control headers with the intent to improve performance," - yup, they did.

User avatar
BennehBoy
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:21 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: PHPBB hosting issues and problems at HostGator

Postby BennehBoy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:33 pm

Great, I can stop using the godawful 'Edge' now.
-------------------------------------
https://github.com/BennehBoy

fredbox
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: PHPBB hosting issues and problems at HostGator

Postby fredbox » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:36 pm

I have the forum in my RSS reader and only log in if I want to post. I never noticed that anything was wrong.

stevestrong
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:06 am
Location: Munich, Germany

Re: PHPBB hosting issues and problems at HostGator

Postby stevestrong » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:46 pm

fredbox wrote:I have the forum in my RSS reader and only log in if I want to post. I never noticed that anything was wrong.

Yes, and as you didn't post anything, it seem to be normal that you did not observe anything...

User avatar
RogerClark
Posts: 5470
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: PHPBB hosting issues and problems at HostGator

Postby RogerClark » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:58 pm

@ddrown

Yes.

They tried to "improve performamce" by changing settings in Apache and also other systems on each server.

I suspect this was an attempt to squeeze more customers onto the same physical machine.

I have been using HostGator ( based in Texas ) for quite a long time, perhaps 5 years or more, but I am now considering moving all my hosting elsewhere.

Their support ticket system does not seem to work anyone.The only support appears to be via their LiveChat system, and either the people I spoke to lied to me, or they are dont have access to information about changes to the server.

Whichever reason, it still gives me big cause for concern about HostGator, and I will start looking around for another hosting company.

PS. I have 6 domains, so any move is not going to be easy.

User avatar
sheepdoll
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 12:58 am
Location: Silicon Valley Vortex
Contact:

Re: PHPBB hosting issues and problems at HostGator

Postby sheepdoll » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:22 pm

I use Dreamhost (which is based in the US)

Just renewed my blogs on that hosting site for another 2 years. Last time I updated them was in 2012. Got tired of upgrading wordpress every time I logged in to post something.

User avatar
RogerClark
Posts: 5470
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: PHPBB hosting issues and problems at HostGator

Postby RogerClark » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:39 pm

sheepdoll wrote:I use Dreamhost (which is based in the US)

Just renewed my blogs on that hosting site for another 2 years. Last time I updated them was in 2012. Got tired of upgrading wordpress every time I logged in to post something.


Thanks

Looking at the thread on PHPBB, HostGator are still causing problems on some people's sites, possibly as they are rolling out the same change again (aarrgghh)

Local hosting in Australia, is no good as the internet link on and off the island are limited, often damaged and not that fast.
( in fact I have to host some files for one of clients, as a mirror of their australian servers, as overseas users have speed problems accessing from Europe to Australia.)

So hosting would need to be in either USA or Europe.

User avatar
RogerClark
Posts: 5470
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: PHPBB hosting issues and problems at HostGator

Postby RogerClark » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:03 pm

BTW

I did consider AWS but as I have multiple domains including email addresses, all of which would need to be on the same virtual machine, it would be hard to configure and maintain

User avatar
ddrown
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:49 am

Re: PHPBB hosting issues and problems at HostGator

Postby ddrown » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:45 pm

RogerClark wrote:@ddrown

Yes.

They tried to "improve performamce" by changing settings in Apache and also other systems on each server.

I suspect this was an attempt to squeeze more customers onto the same physical machine.


Yup, dynamic content (especially wordpress and the various bulletin board systems) use up lots of resources, so aggressive caching "helps" lower that.

RogerClark wrote:I have been using HostGator ( based in Texas ) for quite a long time, perhaps 5 years or more, but I am now considering moving all my hosting elsewhere.

Their support ticket system does not seem to work anyone.The only support appears to be via their LiveChat system, and either the people I spoke to lied to me, or they are dont have access to information about changes to the server.

Whichever reason, it still gives me big cause for concern about HostGator, and I will start looking around for another hosting company.

PS. I have 6 domains, so any move is not going to be easy.


A co-worker of mine used to work at HostGator, and only had negative things to say about them. Although, shared hosting is low margin, so bad support isn't very surprising.

sheepdoll wrote:I use Dreamhost (which is based in the US)


Yeah, my mother in law's small business uses Dreamhost. Their webservers seem fine, but their email service isn't very good.

RogerClark wrote:I did consider AWS but as I have multiple domains including email addresses, all of which would need to be on the same virtual machine, it would be hard to configure and maintain


Yeah, my personal stuff is on Linode. Like AWS, I had to setup all my email/websites/etc myself. However, once that was done, I'm very happy with the stability/speed of it. Let me know if you'd like any help with that.

User avatar
RogerClark
Posts: 5470
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: PHPBB hosting issues and problems at HostGator

Postby RogerClark » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:07 am

@ddrown

HostGator used to be OK about 5 years ago, but I guess its a very competitive business to be in, with a race to the bottom on pricing and service level.

I have an AWS account, but only ever used storage and a full virtual server.

I'll need to checkout their current prices and see how things stack up.

I did investigate using Azure for one of my clients, as initially a single virtual server was reasonably priced (something like $15 a month).
But Azure prices and plans change almost by the day (I'm always getting updates), and what was initially a $15 per month plan suddenly started costing well over $50 per month. So I have to move all everything off that and re-do the web services in PHP so that could be moved back in-house onto the client's own server, (which is on a relatively low bandwidth connection)

So there is no way, I'd be using Azure unless someone else with very deep pockets was paying the bills ;-)


Return to “Builds and Announcements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest