PHPBB hosting issues and problems at HostGator

Information on the latest releases
RogerClark

Re: PHPBB hosting issues and problems at HostGator

Post by RogerClark » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:08 am

BTW.

It looks like HostGator have screwed up some other sites again, so it could be only a matter of time before this site gets the same problem again :-(

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:28 am

Just trying to work out what would be suitable on AWS

Looks like "On Demand" Linux server, up to t2.small level would be only a bit more expensive than I'm paying at the moment.

But its hard to know how many different things have to be added to the price as the On Demand EC2 doesn't seems to have any storage at all with it, so that has to be factored, though its only appears to be 10 cents per Gb per month, for the cheapest, i.e only $1.20 per Gb per year, so thats not going to break the bank.

However there could be other charges i'm not aware of

ddrown

Post by ddrown » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:42 am

RogerClark wrote:Just trying to work out what would be suitable on AWS

Looks like "On Demand" Linux server, up to t2.small level would be only a bit more expensive than I'm paying at the moment.

But its hard to know how many different things have to be added to the price as the On Demand EC2 doesn't seems to have any storage at all with it, so that has to be factored, though its only appears to be 10 cents per Gb per month, for the cheapest, i.e only $1.20 per Gb per year, so thats not going to break the bank.

Yeah, the EC2 stuff is all unbundled prices (compute+storage+transfer). You might want to check this out: https://amazonlightsail.com/

And Linode is who I use: https://www.linode.com/pricing

DigitalOcean is also popular: https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/#droplet

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:20 am

ddrown wrote:
RogerClark wrote:Just trying to work out what would be suitable on AWS

Yeah, the EC2 stuff is all unbundled prices (compute+storage+transfer). You might want to check this out: https://amazonlightsail.com/

And Linode is who I use: https://www.linode.com/pricing

DigitalOcean is also popular: https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/#droplet
@ddrown

I looked at the installation, and it looks non-trivial to get LAMP, and email (SMTP + POP + IMAP) setup

So I may just have to move to somewhere else that makes this a bit easier.

I looked at @sheepdoll's host (Dreamhost) and they seem to get better reviews than HostGator, who's recent customer reviews have been plentiful and all very negative

BTW. According to other users, HostGator seems to be reapplying the cache change which breaks PHPBB operation, so I'm expecting we'll suffer the same problem again soon ;-(

Trying to backup all my active domains, and downloading all the files now (2Gb worth)

Then need to backup all the DB's

probably won't move today, but at least I will have a complete and fairly recent backup of all files and all DB's,

leavesw

Post by leavesw » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:41 pm

I am using AWS to host some of my sites - I found LAMP setup not too bad, and reserving EC2 instances (instead of on-demand) saves a lot of the cost.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:54 pm

leavesw wrote:I am using AWS to host some of my sites - I found LAMP setup not too bad, and reserving EC2 instances (instead of on-demand) saves a lot of the cost.

Thanks. I wasnt sure if on-demand or one of the other options was the best value.

Just backed up all my sites files and it totalled 2Gb, but I suspect some of those files are redundant. So storage costs on AWS would not be too costly.
I am not sure about bandwidth, I will see if HostGator have any metrics available for my current usage.

With, you setup... Do you run email as well ?

And, Which Linux do you use ? Ubuntu ?

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:42 pm

As we're discussing issues on the forum: am i the only one that from time to time gets logged out on this forum? i often visit this forum, and a few times per week i have to log in again, not sure why.

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:23 pm

usually when i take too long composing a reply.
not this time
stephen

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:54 pm

racemaniac wrote:As we're discussing issues on the forum: am i the only one that from time to time gets logged out on this forum? i often visit this forum, and a few times per week i have to log in again, not sure why.
Either the cookie has expired or you browser cache has been cleared, or possibly the hosting company did something that cleared this.

Not a lot I can do about it really, as for security its best to be on the side of caution and be logged out.

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:55 pm

RogerClark wrote:
racemaniac wrote:As we're discussing issues on the forum: am i the only one that from time to time gets logged out on this forum? i often visit this forum, and a few times per week i have to log in again, not sure why.
Either the cookie has expired or you browser cache has been cleared, or possibly the hosting company did something that cleared this.

Not a lot I can do about it really, as for security its best to be on the side of caution and be logged out.
well, it expires very quickly then :p
and it's certainly not me clearing the cache XD.
And it's always been like that, i've become used to logging in here almost daily :).
but it's pretty strange though, this is the only forum where i get logged out so often :(.