PHPBB hosting issues and problems at HostGator

Information on the latest releases
admin
Site Admin

Re: PHPBB hosting issues and problems at HostGator

Post by admin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:41 am

Guys

Kinda related...

Just in case the dodgy virus warning email got sent has a grain of truth in it, I'm going to investigate updating PHPBB.

I tried doing it ages ago, but the automatic update failed.

So I'm going to create a local instance on my PC and see if I can upgrade that, and if the automatic update fails I will see if I can do a manual update.

I'll keep you posted

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:56 am

Main failure causes on the auto update are plugins and permissions btw.

I look after updating a fairly large phpbb forum for a friend who is let's say 'less than tech savvy and prone to tinkering' and frequently have to muck about.

I tend to do a file & db backup, put the site in maint mode, ftp the new version over the top (being careful not to overwrite config.php), run the db upgrade, check the main theme works, take out of maint mode.

There are significant difference between 2.x and 3.x versions so if crossing that boundary more work may be required. Same from 3.0.x to 3.2.x (latest release).
-------------------------------------
https://github.com/BennehBoy

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:49 am

BennehBoy wrote:Main failure causes on the auto update are plugins and permissions btw.

I look after updating a fairly large phpbb forum for a friend who is let's say 'less than tech savvy and prone to tinkering' and frequently have to muck about.

I tend to do a file & db backup, put the site in maint mode, ftp the new version over the top (being careful not to overwrite config.php), run the db upgrade, check the main theme works, take out of maint mode.

There are significant difference between 2.x and 3.x versions so if crossing that boundary more work may be required. Same from 3.0.x to 3.2.x (latest release).
Thanks.

I've managed to update a local copy of the site from 3.1.3 to 3.1.10 by basically doing what you describe.

I just over-wrote all the files with a new installation of 3.1.10, then re-instated the config.php settings, and then realised I needed to run the db update, which seemed to work OK updating from 3.1.3 to 3.1.10

Looking at the update needed from 3.1.10 to 3.2 it looks like I need to do the same thing again.

So I think I'll probably run the update locally, and if thats successful I'll copy the files back to the server.

But I will need to take the server offline while I'm doing this, otherwise any posts to the forum will be lost.

I suspect the best time for me to do this is on Saturday afternoon here in Australia, as its very early morning for Europe at that time and late at night for the USA.

But at least, it does look like the update is possible and has not caused any noticeable differences in my local version of the site

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:56 am

3.2 doesn't have a specific DB update, it's all done from an 'update page'

I'd not recommend upgrading to it yet since it's still in RC.

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:44 pm

Typical, the board I look after just died lol.

Host cut off mysql writes because the DB is @ 1.2GB.

Restored a backup locally to find a 450mb search index, lol - truncated.

There's also 1 thread which is taking up 150mb in itself!!!! Word association thread ffs.

Ah the joys.

ddrown

Post by ddrown » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:52 pm

admin wrote:Guys

Kinda related...

Just in case the dodgy virus warning email got sent has a grain of truth in it, I'm going to investigate updating PHPBB.

I tried doing it ages ago, but the automatic update failed.

So I'm going to create a local instance on my PC and see if I can upgrade that, and if the automatic update fails I will see if I can do a manual update.

I'll keep you posted
I wonder if that SiteLock email is related to this recent security issue with Wordpress: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/arch ... e-content/

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:01 pm

The sitelock emial explitly sited this forum. But i do have some WP instances e.g. my blog kn the same hosting package.

Some of the other users who had the caching bug on HostGator must have been hit by the WP issue as HostGator actually deleted some of their php files from WP installations, whuch caused a load of problems for them.

But my WP instances are definitely up to date and there was no mention of the WP instances in the sitelock email.
It seems highly suspicious that the one domain I contacted HG support about, gets this dubious email.
I also did some more research on SiteLock and they have hundreds of reports of being a barely more than a scam preying on the non technical web site owners.

Naguissa

Post by Naguissa » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:51 am

About servers, I started using low-line dedicated servers several yars ago, after some incomprensible abuse notifications on bottom-line VPS.

I started with a simple 2-cores/2threads Atom with 1Gb of RAM, running 3 sites, in Digicube (France).

Support was not good, but as it's a dedicated server....

But this January they had a power outage that lasted around 10 days. Their behaviour:
- Not send any message to customers telling the issue
- Not reply ANY ticket (they said they had been overloaded)
- Don't notify on site, anywhere.

So, because this and because I wanted add some technologies (MongoDB added, now waiting for some time to add node.js) I ended up switching to online.net (Europe based, Paris and Amsterdam, as I am Spanish...). I've chosen this one:

Dedibox® SC 2016
Intel® C2350 (Avoton)
2C / 2T @1.7 Ghz
4 GB DDR3
1 TB SATA or 120 GB SSD
€8.99/month --> + VAT!

I'm sure that there same or better offers on USA.

But what I'm really sure is that I prefer a simple dedicated server above any shared server (shared hosting or VPS). Even the simple Atom with 1Gb RAM and 30Gb SSD was capable of serve over a million of petitions / month.

EDIT: Any help you need, send me a note!

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:07 am

Thanks for the PM

I think in the long term I'll switch to VPS hosting somewhere e.g. Linode, etc but at the moment I've got far to many other more urgent things to get done

I will however upgrade to PHP BB 3.2 , possibly over the weekend , if I can find a few spare hours