Upgrade to PHPBB 3.2

Information on the latest releases
RogerClark

Upgrade to PHPBB 3.2

Post by RogerClark » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:33 pm

Guys

As the update to PHPBB 3.1.10 was successful, I'm probably going to update the site to version 3.2 in the next week.

I'll do a local update on my PC first to check the site is compatible, but I think it should be OK, because I don't have any third party plugins installed, or use any special themes. The only thing that is customised is the site logo.

It normally takes me an hour to update the site, so if its offline you'll know why ;-)

racemaniac

Re: Upgrade to PHPBB 3.2

Post by racemaniac » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:52 pm

another question as you're working on the forum: would it be possible to allow uploading pictures to the forum? Right now you see people trying to host their pictures in various places, and in a year you'll have a lot of missing pictures that might have contained interesting data for the community.

RogerClark

Re: Upgrade to PHPBB 3.2

Post by RogerClark » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:52 pm

You can upload pictures.

I did it the other day in the Postbag section

We had an issue for a while where the board seemed to think the storage quota had been reached, and was ignoring the changes I made to the site admin settings to increase the quota size.
But that bug seems to be fixed now.

max file size is only a few hundred kb, but i am not going to increase that, as its plenty for images, and anything larger eg. no limit to image size, people would end up uploading 10Mb or larger images from their phones, which would make it impractical to do backups of the uploaded files.
I have to do offsite backups, i.e basically download the files, as my hosting cant be trusted to do backups or restores.

I had enough hassles when they changed the server caching and broke the site, and it took 3 days of effort to get them to admit they had screwed up.

Anyway, image can be uploaded, but you may need to scale and recompress to get them to an acceptable size