Hosting currently running slow

Information on the latest releases
RogerClark

Hosting currently running slow

Post by RogerClark » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:10 am

In case anyone wonders why the site appears to be running slow at the moment ...

Its because its hosted by HostGator in Houston Texas, and hence has has problems as the result of the severe weather because of hurricane Harvey.

ahull

Re: Hosting currently running slow

Post by ahull » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:15 am

I thought it felt a little windy round here. :D
- Andy Hull -

stevestrong

Post by stevestrong » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:32 am

And wet... :D

Pito

Post by Pito » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:19 pm

They do backup(?) hopefully..
Pukao Hats Cleaning Services Ltd.

ahull

Post by ahull » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:46 pm

Pito wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:19 pm
hopefully..
In my experience...

A) If I don't have things backed up locally I don't have things backed up.
B) You can never have too many backups
C) A backup is only a "good" backup once you have restored from it.. anything else is a "possibly good" backup.
D) You can never have too many backups
E) You *always* miss *something* when you backup.
F) You can never have too many backups
- Andy Hull -

Pito

Post by Pito » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:03 pm

There is a story on a disaster at Philips/Signetics from past (I think 2000) - because of wild grass fire in New Mexico it came to over-voltage in the net and the transformer station at the Philips plant in Albuquerque caught on fire. Except 8 months outage they lost the master masks of the famous NE602, so it is not produced anymore (they produce NE/SA612 instead).. A good Backup is important..
Last edited by Pito on Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ahull

Post by ahull » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:40 pm

Many years ago, early in my career, a customer of mine was particularly unlucky.

There premises were near the river Clyde in Glasgow, which burst its banks in a most spectacular manner following some extremely foul weather. They had their servers on the ground floor of their factory, and the tide mark from the river ultimately reached as far as the tops of the windows in the wall of the second floor (due to the pressure of the water being forced up the side of the building). There were cars in the car park which were destroyed by the filthy muddy water, as were a lot of other local businesses.

Now these guys did everything right. They had a disaster management plan, they had backup tapes taken off site and stored in the local bank vault. They had backup tapes on site in their fireproof safe, and the accountant kept an additional backup in his car.. you can perhaps see where this is going..

Well.. the bank vault was in the basement of the bank in a nearby street... the flood water there also reached up to the second floor windows.. the accountant was working late on the night in question, and was lucky to escape (on foot).. his car however... was not so lucky. Fireproof safes, are unfortunately not completely waterproof, nor do they float. As a result, they had no recoverable tapes. We did attempt to dry out some of the tape cartridges that were recovered, but they had spent the best part of a week slowly dissolving in sewage, and mud, so that was a fail.

The insurance paid out big time, but they still had to resort to drying out reams of printouts, quite literally pegging them out like washing, and then keying data back in by hand. This almost cost them their business. As I said.. you can never have too many backups.
- Andy Hull -

ahull

Post by ahull » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:51 pm

Pito wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:03 pm
There is a story on a disaster at Philips/Signetics from past (I think 2000) - because of wild grass fire in New Mexico it came to over-voltage in the net and the transformer station at the Philips plant in Albuquerque caught on fire. Except 8 months outage they lost the master masks of the famous NE602, so it is not produced anymore (they produce NE/SA612 instead).. A good Backup is important..
http://soldersmoke.blogspot.co.uk/2009/ ... ne602.html

Interesting story, I hadn't encountered that particular sorry tale before. :shock:
- Andy Hull -

kangear

Post by kangear » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:18 pm

got it. :P I'm newb;

Pito

Post by Pito » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:45 pm

ahull wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:51 pm
Interesting story, I hadn't encountered that particular sorry tale before. :shock:
Yea, it seems the full-text searching is quite easy today :) :)