STM32F7xx Discovery Board

Information on the latest releases
monsonite

STM32F7xx Discovery Board

Post by monsonite » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:25 pm

The long awaited STM32F7xx Discovery board is now available from several distributors. Complete with 4.3" capacitive touch screen

STM32F7xx Discovery boards with 4.3" capacitive touch screen - now available from Farnell http://uk.farnell.com/stmicroelectronic ... st=2480961 … Newark, Digikey, Mouser etc US$50

http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/ ... scovery-pr

Ken

RogerClark

Re: STM32F7xx Discovery Board

Post by RogerClark » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:35 pm

Did you notice that it has Arduino headers on it .

I'm not sure why they do this, as i dont think there are a lot of shields that work on 3.3v devices - though i guess his may change with the advent of the Zero

Btw. i will post this to a separate thread, but i found this article listing shields that work with Nucleo boards

https://developer.mbed.org/blog/entry/2 ... platforms/

strawberrymaker

Post by strawberrymaker » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:06 am

Theoratically everything that doesnt uses the ADC Pins should work as every other pin is 5V tolerant
Still dont see any interesting shield

~Straw
Twitter : @maker_berry

sheepdoll

Post by sheepdoll » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:00 pm

Heh. I am still working on getting something decent to work on the STMF429I Discovery.

The F4 on the F429I has almost every pin tied to some peripheral. Almost none of the serial ports are exposed. It looks more like th STM32F7xx are designed to check marketing comparison boxes.

Now if only Mouser and Digikey sold Maple (MINI) and clones ...

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:28 pm

Now if only Mouser and Digikey sold Maple (MINI) and clones ...
I suspect they would not be able to do this unless the boards were manufactured somewhere to ISO 9000 standards.

At the moment, I seem to be getting amazingly quick delivery time from eBay vendors in China. Just over a week for various bits and pieces, including some blank PCB, USB to Serial adaptors and rotary encoders.
However I'm still waiting for another batch of Maple Mini's from AliExpress - from Baite, which i ordered the previous week.

I'm not sure if US eBay sellers are now selling Maple minis, I know one store is here in Australia (no idea who they are, they have not been in contact with me), There was a guy called @chillitronix on the Arduino.cc forum, who was selling them in the UK, but i dont known if he is registered on this forum.

Do you you think supply problems are an issue in the USA.
I do wonder sometimes, how these boards are still flying under the radar of Adafruit and Sparkfun.
After all, sparkfun used to sell Maple and Maple Mini, when the were manufactured in the US/Canada.

So you'd have thought they could easily source some good quality clones and sell them at inflated prices ;-)

strawberrymaker

Post by strawberrymaker » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:58 pm

RogerClark wrote:
So you'd have thought they could easily source some good quality clones and sell them at inflated prices ;-)
When i look at the prices of local sellers on ebay and the chinese sellers. They sell it for 3x of the normal price without doing anything else than taking it from the shelve into a post bag and put a sticker on it.

General speaking:
Is it just me wondering why this shiny new super fast MCU doesnt offer MIPI?It is really a great interface to use with high resolution displays. They're doing it with the F469 but not with that one?

~Straw
Twitter : @maker_berry

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:17 pm

@straw

Yes, there is some money to be made by reselling locally, but not too much. My local vendors are selling for $12 but postage etc costs would be about $2, so they will make about $4 per board, plus eBay takes their cut, so perhaps profit before labour costs is $3.

It is something I considered as a side business, but it would not ever to be a main source of income, as they may only sell a few boards a week.

It would be better if they reflashed with the new bootloader, but the resellers are generally not techie and just sell all sorts of stuff, and probably dont know what it is they are selling.

Actualy, this does not just apply to eBay sellers.
We have a local "varienty" store which sells all sorts of stuff imported from China, from toys, to tools, to art supplies, to clothes etc.

Anyway, the other day I found they had a vice for a drill press, but when i took it to the register to pay for it, they had no idea whay it is, or even if they sold it.
I had to tell them what it was, and what it was used for, and where i had found it in the store :-)

monsonite

Post by monsonite » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:30 pm

Hi All,

Having thought about the STM32F746 Discovery board over the weekend, and it's lack of exposed I/O - I thought I'd have a go at something simpler, and hopefully easier to tinker with.

Meet STM32F746 BOB (break-out-board)
BOB_746.jpg
BOB_746.jpg (201.14 KiB) Viewed 2440 times
So I took the 100 pin LQFP STM32F746 package, and laid it out on a 66mm x 66mm 2 layer pcb with all of it's I/O broken out to the same headers as found on the Discovery F4 board.

So basically its a 216MHz F7 "Discovery" board, pin pluggable compatible with the Discovery F4.

I have added a 32kHz crystal for RTC and a super capacitor for battery back-up.

It has "Reset" and "Boot" switches, and a dedicated connector to plug in a FTDI cable and do a serial bootload using USART1 (PA9 PA10).

It has a MCP1640 boost regulator - so this will run off a LiPo down to about 2.8V or a dc supply down to about 1.5V.

Hopefully these pcbs will be available by the end of August, if there is a a demand.

Ken

martinayotte

Post by martinayotte » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:20 pm

Wow ! Nice !
Did you have it done in Eagle or Kicad ?
Did you sent your design files to a PCB manufacturer ?

monsonite

Post by monsonite » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:34 pm

Martin

The files are in EagleCAD. I can share these when I get the boards built and tested.

I just sent off today for 5 prototypes. Be a couple of weeks

If you bought a batch from the likes of Seeedstudio Fusion PCB - the cost of the board would be about US$2.

The STM32F746VGT6 is about $12.50 in 250 off.

http://uk.farnell.com/stmicroelectronic ... dp/2484971

As well as the "Discovery" board format, I am also considering mounting the same circuitry on an Arduino MEGA footprint

Ken