STM32F7xx Discovery Board

Information on the latest releases
strawberrymaker

Re: STM32F7xx Discovery Board

Postby strawberrymaker » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:44 pm

Seems really nice :)
But why are you using right-angled routes?

~Straw
Twitter : @maker_berry

monsonite

Postby monsonite » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:08 pm

Straw,

At the frequencies used on this board for GPIO, little is to be gained from 45 degree mitred routes.

monsonite

Postby monsonite » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:15 pm

Hi All,

The first sample boards turned up - see attached. Should have the first built up later today.

I think initially I can program these with the STM32F7xx version of mbed. Looks like STM are pushing towards theie STM32F7 Cube - hardware abstraction layer - and towards the Keil or evwarm compilers.

regards

Ken
Attachments
STM32F7BOBlowres.jpg
A "Discovery" board for STM32F7
STM32F7BOBlowres.jpg (159.3 KiB) Viewed 936 times

martinayotte

Postby martinayotte » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:06 pm

Wow !!! :)
Did you got chance to do the assembly yet ?

monsonite

Postby monsonite » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:00 pm

Hi All

After a quick assembly job, here is the minimum populated board -including mcu, clock and reset circuitry.

The 6 pin right angle headers provide access to the debug port (USART3) and the bootload port USART1 on PA9,PA10.

ST Microelectronics have released a free to use IDE called "System Workbench" - based on Eclipse, that allows potential users to develop code without having to fork out for Keil or EVWARM toolchains. More details here http://www.st.com/web/catalog/tools/FM1 ... 3/PF261797

It comes with a lot of example code - based on the new STM327 Cube and the HAL hardware abstraction layer. Worth a look if you want free to use tools for any of the STM32F range.

EagleCAD board and schematic files attached.
Attachments
STM32F7.zip
EagleCAD boad and schematic files for STM32F746BOB
(95.21 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
STM32F7BOM_small.jpg
Minimal Assembly - STM32F746 Break Out Board
STM32F7BOM_small.jpg (172.79 KiB) Viewed 933 times

Rick Kimball

Postby Rick Kimball » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:05 pm

monsonite wrote:ST Microelectronics have released a free to use IDE called "System Workbench" - based on Eclipse, that allows potential users to develop code without having to fork out for Keil or EVWARM toolchains. More details here http://www.st.com/web/catalog/tools/FM1 ... 3/PF261797

That thing is such a POS!

You are better off with the standard eclipse and the ARM GNU Plugin.

http://eclipse.org
http://gnuarmeclipse.livius.net/blog/
-rick

sheepdoll

Postby sheepdoll » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:31 pm

Rick Kimball wrote:
That thing is such a POS!

You are better off with the standard eclipse and the ARM GNU Plugin.

I pointed the eclipse to the tools installed by the Arduino IDE for cortexM development like the Duo and our project. Have not had much time for experiments the projects do compile (although the IDE has to be open to find the sources in the temp directory.)

I keep checking the OpenSTM for OS X support. Has been real soon now for months. PITA as one has to log in all the time to read the forums. So the OSTM forums are pretty dead as no one has time to browse them given that one had to drill down several levels to find them (after logging in.)

STM recently updated the STM32CubeMX with new devkits. I installed it through Java, and my existing HAL projects still open. At least the CubeMX team does a decent job with the mac OS X support -- even if it is mostly undocumented.

monsonite

Postby monsonite » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:48 am

Hi All

I found a 32KB code-limited version of Keil's uVision 5 that has all the plug-in packs to support the STM32F746 device. After some deliberation - this proved the easiest way to get the first code to run on the 'F7.

They had a LED blinky example that was intended to run on the 'F7 Discovery board - flashing a LED on Port PI1.

I found that Keil had locked for editing all of the files that set up the GPIO pin for the LED - so I had to make a copy of their file, edit it and substitute it for the original. Finally I managed to get a LED on Port C13 to flash.

This at least proves that the chip and it's support circuitry on the board is correctly working.

Another thing to note is that you must have VDDA connected to this chip - otherwise the PLL and reset logic won't work. Once connected the board could then be programmed normally using the ST-Link section of a convenient Discovery F4 board.

The code they use is such a dog - the fastest it would flash was 355kHz - so lots of scope for improvement here! (108MHz possible)

One word of warning - if you set up the PLL divide values incorrectly - you can lock yourself out - and unable to program the chip using the ST-Link. In this case you have to set the ST-Link to "connect under reset" and then do a full eprom erase.

I am now reading the 900 page manual on the HAL libraries to see if I can make some more progress beyond a single slow flashing LED.

regards

Ken

monsonite

Postby monsonite » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:57 pm

Hi All

A bit more progress with the I/O code

Using the following code - the I/O toggling speed is now up to 4.08MHz

while(1)

{
GPIOC->BSRR = (GPIO_PIN_13) << 16; //reset bit
GPIOC->BSRR = GPIO_PIN_13; //set bit
}

The scope tells me that the reset bit is lasting for about 65nS and the set and the while takes about 180nS

I now need to try to confirm what else is running in the background - and whether I have the PLL set for the full 216MHz main clock

Ken

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:14 pm

thanks for the update Ken...

Return to “Builds and Announcements”