which core

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
ag123
Answers: 24

which core

Post by ag123 »

I've updated the faq here, it might help for the 'clueless'
https://github.com/stm32duino/wiki/wiki ... running-on
mrburnette
Answers: 7

Re: which core

Post by mrburnette »

+1

A decent effort.
fpiSTM
Answers: 91

Post by fpiSTM »

Thanks
mrburnette

Post by mrburnette »

Opinion:

The great thing about being "clue-less" is that everyone in the field of computer science or electronic engineering started out clueless; Everyone!

Getting out of that novice state is as simple as acquiring some basic knowledge and enforcing that learning with a bit of hands-on experience. One simply needs to approach this hobby (job, schooling, project) with an understanding that no one has all the answers because answers must exist within the context of the physical environment: prototype tools, uC choice, PC OS, PC hardware, cables, USB-serial adapters, power supplies, and physical wiring. And this is not a complete list ... just scratching the surface of things that will bite you often.

What my above statement means is that everyone wanting to move out of the novice category must embrace an open-minded attitude and must expend some time and effort (work) to elevate her/him to the next level. Build a checklist of problem-solution ... yes, in Excel or on paper or even in Notepad - something always handy and easily editable (I use a text file on my desktop.) Maintain this list which means reviewing it regularly and editing to resource new materials and removing obsolete notes.

We live in an age of free access to the greatest library ever assembled but not all of those Internet articles are accurate! Weeding the knowledge garden to remove erroneous statements is part of the maturing process; as you become smarter, you begin to see issues and errors in online knowledge which will make navigating the materials easier.

Good luck on your journey,

Ray
ag123
Answers: 24

Post by ag123 »

normally this isn't a 'problem' ,but that IDEs these days seemed to hide 'everything' and some don't know what they are working with. the extravagance of convenience, click and install (even the source url is 'hidden'), it 'just works' :lol:
as it happens, people are compiling the highly complex marlin for stm32duino (and libmaple) firmware with all that 'click and install', it isn't too hard to guess that to some the hardware stm32 and for that matter stm32duino (and libmaple) is 'foreign' to them, just that - it runs the 3d printers ! and many other appliances possibly
mrburnette

Post by mrburnette »

ag123 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:50 pm ...
but that IDEs these days seemed to hide 'everything' and some don't know what they are working with. the extravagance of convenience, click and install (even the source url is 'hidden'), it 'just works' :lol:
That damn IDE does cause lots of forum questions!

I've just finished a really fun project using SDCC (small device C compiler) and got back into just Notepad++ and using the command-line and the nostalgia was great for a few weeks, but it all does get a bit monotonous at the command prompt. There is an appeal of a well-working IDE.

I do not expect that programmers should know all the workings of the IDE any more than a driver should know all the details of how their automobile works.
JimEli

Post by JimEli »

what's a faq?
mrburnette

Post by mrburnette »

JimEli wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:07 amwhat's a faq?
Frequently Asked Questions; aka Q/A in some circles. Most forum have a section: viewforum.php?f=2

Even our WiKi has one https://github.com/stm32duino/wiki/wiki/FAQ

Return to “General discussion”