open sourced STM32 smartwatch / smartclock / IOT / blurbs about STM32

What could be included in further releases, or for the forum.
madias

Re: open sourced STM32 smartwatch / smartclock / IOT / blurbs about STM32

Post by madias » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:16 am

Ok, the STM32F7xx is the most interesting MCU at the moment - can't wait for the sub 10$ dev boards on ali.
Back to the smartwatch: I personally have problems with the sense/operation of ALL smartwatches (SW) they are currently out ,most of them are software related:
  • Even the first wristwatch (Abraham Louis Breguet, 1810) had a decisive advantage as opposed to all modern SW: You can read the time WITHOUT pressing any button or getting the right angle for the gyro. So we need a SW where the display is ever ON (OLED or e-paper like the pebble is a big step forward)
  • Bluetooth: If you use the SW as bluetooth device the range is really bad: You cannot even go to the toilet without loosing the connection (even on the expensive ones). So the big question is about getting a strong (and stable) connection without consuming too much power. (again the pebble with BT4.0 but you have to own a super new smartphone)
  • Touchscreen: A really pain on small screens. Most GUI's on SW are nearly impossible to use, even the fingers of my 4-year old daughter are too big.
  • Bluetooth mode: phone with the SW (loudspeaker - microphone) is lousy (if you do not just want to call a black Trans Am) . When connected to BT there is no possibility to use an additional BT-headset

madias

Post by madias » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:36 am

ADD: The first pebbles used not an e-paper, but a sharp LCD display. I bought 2 of them a while time ago (for my TI Tiva TM4C123G LaunchPad) at a discount price. Sadly the shipping costs for the launchpads and boosterpacks are incrediable high (to Austria, before it was free shipping) so I stopped using all TI products.
But the display is VERY nice, outstanding reading angle and nearly no power consumption. So if you can get one cheap, just take it:
http://www.ti.com/tool/430boost-sharp96
There is somewhere a (basic) library written for Energia, so it's no real effort to adapt it. (apart from the capacitive touch sliders, you need a MCU with hardware support for it (MSP430)

ag123

Post by ag123 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:23 am

i'd guess f7 would be more suitable for the 'high end' type of dev, it'd feel a somewhat expensive to start with an F7 blinking leds for 'hello world'' :lol:
but i'd think f7 would be better to run with external sdram say 512k or even 1gb at least and large amount of flash say > 1gb, that would allow full fledged OS such as linux and even android to run and it is no less an mcu i.e. with all that gpios, adc/dacs, spi, i2c, etc

another thing is there is something i like about the 'evo (open4) primer' concept is that 'extension board' concept

http://www.stm32circle.com/resources/do ... anical.PDF
http://www.stm32circle.com/resources/stm3242Iprimer.php
http://www.raisonance.com/open4.html

this is something i've been thinking about and made a reality by Raisonance and ST. that is pretty much the attractive point about the 'arduino shields' concept and i'd think fill an important niche. the primer takes it beyond 'development boards' it is pretty much a complete appliance (almost a multi-purpose 'game console') and u'd be able to 'plug and play' 'extensions' such as gps, radios (e.g. wifi / bluetooth, gsm/lte (makes it a phone) etc), and perhaps many more possibilities

many higher speed arm 'development boards' failed to fill this particular aspect/niche of 'plug and play extensions' and it keeps arduino (even those 'low speed' unos) in a niche of its own.

strawberrymaker

Post by strawberrymaker » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:54 am

@ag123 yeah, pretty amazing what people have done with the fancy stm32 chips :D
Yeah, the eval and discovery boards are a bit costy for the f7, but still, the f7 PLUS a 'big' screen (4.3inch 480x272) PLUS Audio PLUS Ethernet still seems like a good deal IMO.
But the chip itself isnt that expensive compared to what it can do. You can get it for like ~10$ at digikey.

EDIT: I dont think you need linux on your wrist, let alone a full android version. I would LOOVE to use the android wear os in a stripped down version, but well, couldnt find the sourcecode. and seems like its qualcomm only again. else the chinese would already have 100 SW with it running for 20€ xD

@madias have to agree with you on the first and third point. always on is a must. I wanted to work with this full color oled for a moment, but i ordered just the screen to embed it directly into a project and it didnt turned out working on my side of things. maybe some day. Here is also a seller with really neat epaper screens, but still missing color. dont know if there is any manufacturer who got behind how they are doing 63 colors, but the maximum i could find was 3.
Touchscreens are just a nogo, only useful way is to have one or two buttons, but that will also limit the way you can interact with it really. Or something like the approach of the new samsung gear, where the outer ring acts like a small touch slider, with which you can navigate through the menues.
The Bluetooth range really seems to be a problem generally with bluetooth devices. also things like my bluetooth speaker wont handle more than 20 meters on the beach without starting to lagg around.
About the mode: Im pretty sure that, atleast in android marshmallow, you can select which functions you want to use from a bluetooth device. F.ex. you can deselect that the smartwatch also acts like a microphone and enable that function in your headset.

~Straw
Twitter : @maker_berry

ag123

Post by ag123 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:26 am

@strawberrymaker

as to android or android like os running on smart watches, i've come across this 'bleeding edge' attempt :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKFSYqBCqk4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ4oqciE7ZA

actually my (accidental) foray into stm32 is basically to 'patch some sensors' to a device, smartphones these days are pretty much 'non-extensible', hence 'arduino' and this stm32 boards i come across seemed like a nice fit to that 'extension' concept.

madias

Post by madias » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:37 am

...Another MCU Candidate for smartwatches would/could be the ESP32, with this chip you have nearly everything "onboard": WIFI(802.11n), BT (4.2), ADC, DAC, temperature sensor, hall sensor. Even I2S, so you can build a really "high-end" audio device with it. OP is freeRTOS. Here is the manual of the ESP-WROOM-03 dev board: https://github.com/CHERTS/esp32-devkit/ ... _EN_v1.pdf

ag123

Post by ag123 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:41 am

actually this is already a reality, u'd only need to google for it, but of course it is tad big to be a watch :lol:

http://makezine.com/projects/s-m-a-r-t-alarm-clock/

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:46 am

The ESP8266 isnt a very good candidate as it takes loads of power.

I know it has sleep modes, but AFIK they are not that easy to use.

ag123

Post by ag123 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:55 am

the challenge about making smart watches i'd think actually is *miniaturization*, it is relatively easy in a manufacturing context to make very compact devices in large volume, however, for a 'hobbyist' this is pretty much difficult unless one really go the distance to shrink the components. if one succeed it would amount to making 'arduino swiss watches' i.e. complicated custom hand made watches of the IOT age & if u run android in it with 4gb flash & 1gb ram it is a grand complication :lol:

zoomx

Post by zoomx » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:31 pm

RogerClark wrote: I know it has sleep modes, but AFIK they are not that easy to use.

Code: Select all

ESP.deepSleep([microseconds], [mode])
but when it awakes restarts from the beginning
http://www.esp8266.com/wiki/doku.php?id ... ower_usage

So you're right, in this application is not easy to use.