massively parallel stm32duino blue pill

What could be included in further releases, or for the forum.
ag123

massively parallel stm32duino blue pill

Post by ag123 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:21 am

'long' ago rasberry Pi did it
http://hackaday.com/2012/09/12/64-rasbe ... rcomputer/

would it be about time stm32duino do basically the same? and to be more 'hard core' ethernet is not needed, i2c bus can chain 1024 stm32duino blue pill together on just 2 wires
:lol:

ahull

Re: massively parallel stm32duino blue pill

Post by ahull » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:11 pm

ag123 wrote:'long' ago rasberry Pi did it
http://hackaday.com/2012/09/12/64-rasbe ... rcomputer/

would it be about time stm32duino do basically the same? and to be more 'hard core' ethernet is not needed, i2c bus can chain 1024 stm32duino blue pill together on just 2 wires
:lol:
At $2 per bluepill, there's still the small matter of sourcing the $2048 - but if you provide the bluepills, I'm sure we can come up with something. :D
- Andy Hull -

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:54 pm

Clustering the PI makes sense as it can run linux and is easy to network together to create high amounts of number crunching...
And being linux opens that number crunching to all sorts of possible uses...

The blue pill... Well... simple not as fast or built for that kind of use.

Paralleling the blue pill would be pointless for number crunching. Please correct me if im wrong. But i just dont see any reason to do it with this chip.

Its an embedded chip for embedded processes...

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:17 pm

it indeed doesn't make any sense, even at 2$ per bluepill, but would still be a fun project XD

ahull

Post by ahull » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:27 am

If you have 1024 small tasks that need to run in parallel, say 1024 ffts or something similar, then it would be a useful trick.
Paralleling smaller numbers of pills is useful, for example you can use one as a display controller, another as a radio driver, a third as a sensor controller and a fourth to read and write some storage. The tight coding loops you can achieve with individual boards and the modularity this provides are the advantages in this scenario.
- Andy Hull -

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:46 pm

The $5 per node RPi Zero is the least expensive commercially available microprocessor per-node implementation I have seem built into a cluster. The implementation is facilitated by the fact that the RPi is a Linux SoC board.

http://hackaday.com/2016/01/25/raspberr ... s-a-punch/

For microcontrollers, a distributed application architecture presents a serious limitation since routing worker threads becomes more complicated. Rather, breaking up the roles of microcontroller to assign specific hardware tasks provides a better overall utilization of investment: peripheral controller, display controller, serial communications controller, main logic orchestrator, etc. In such a scenario, each of the microcontrollers run a single repetitive task that performs one need, such as SD card logging or collecting sensor data. SPI or high-speed serial can tie multiple uC together such that the main application controller only has to deal with pre-digested datasets from the tentacles nodes and program logic.

Ray

PS: I would highly recommend anyone who has not played around with a $5 RPi Zero to get on board. If you need WiFi and Bluetooth, the $10 U.S.D RPi Zero-W is a great play. Essentially your $5 buys you a 1GHz cpu, HDMI video, and 512MBytes of RAM, and SDIO microSD card interface, and USB OTG. More than 50% of your RAM will be available to you after the X-server starts the GUI. If you go headless and drop the Xserver/VNC and use only SSH and CLI, then you will have about 75% of the RAM. These are extraordinary interesting little Linux boards.

The downside to the SoC is the increased power dissipation... The SoC board can easily consume 750mA plus. Various sub-systems such as HDMI can be disabled to bring the current requirements < 100mA (non-W board) based upon some of my testing ... putting it just north of the ESP8266 average 80mA idle current.

Ray

ag123

Post by ag123 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:04 am

agreed with ahull, using lots of connected mcus probably fit different niche use cases
as such mcu's excel in io, adc and control, it could split io tasks that needs to control many different devices / element

an example scenario might be something ilke this
https://vimeo.com/46857169

using it for compute may be possible for specific niche shared litle or shared nothing use cases, e.g. simulating artificial neural networks which each mcu being a neuron and the synapses travel along the interconnecting buses. but that role is probably done much more cheaply and efficiently using present day GPUs with their SIMD vector processing functionalities.

@ahull, i posted this out of an accidental brainwave, i couldn't really afford the 1024 blue pill experiment personally :lol:

ag123

Post by ag123 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:39 am

incidentally, as present day spi tft screens like the ili9341 are pretty much command driven and independent of the mcu and having its own memory, it might be possible for several blue pill to share 1 ili9341 over spi and for each stm32 blue pill to draw their own parts on the same screen

and i'd imagine with several blue pill doing adc and doing stochastic or probabilistic sampling, it may be possible to go multi mhz oscilloscope with that 'parallel' sampling but the trouble would be how to have them co-ordinated to assemble the original wave form :lol:

ag123

Post by ag123 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:02 am

@mrburnette
imho rpi, beaglebone black et.al. are of different 'class' in that they are full single board computers (some multi core like Rpi 3)
the main stumbling block and the transition to *bare metal* duino style developments normally is *power consumption* and *cost*.
for small projects i'd think rpi and beaglebone black are still quite managable in terms of 'cost' in particular if it is useful to the functional scenario.
on rpi and beagle bone one can simply run a full java or python stack that eats hundreds of megs of memory and flash.

the main thing would come to *power consumption*, i tried powering a beaglebone black on batteries. but in my case a 7 inch tft icd is connected and powered from the same board. i think the power consumption comes out to a whopping 1+ - 2 amp and a 10,000 mah usb powerbank runs dry in i'd think about 2-3 hours. that probably means the setup beaglebone black + tft lcd (more the tft lcd i'd think) probably runs between about 3 watts to 10 watts
that's pretty high power consumption and would not be feasible to do on a sustained basis on batteries. (i'd think removing the tft lcd would last much longer but still at 1ghz and 512m dram, it would take quite a lot of energy management to conserve power)

hence, more and more i'd think dedicated functionality 'small' bare metal boards like stm32duino e.g. blue pill, maple mini would fill this niche of 'small apps' that runs on batteries (very feasible), it fits a 'low power' profile for a small device and dedicated application
this is off-topic from the 'massively parallel' theme, but it'd seem to me that running several stm32duino or alike would eventually fill a different niche compared to the likes of rpi and beagleboards

one of the reasons for mcu's like stm32 running on low power i'd think is the use of sram, which unlike dram does not need periodic refresh.
but sram eats quite a lot of expensive chip real estate and is precious leaving us with 20k on bluepill, maplemini vs 512mb-1gb say on rpi or beagleboard :lol:

ahull

Post by ahull » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:20 am

Mobile phone type SOCs like the Pi and the BBB are pretty good at power sipping, but any application that runs lots of cores at full speed will obviously use quite a bit of power. 1024 bluepills are actually relatively frugal in their power needs. I wonder what would be the best mips per watt we could manage.
- Andy Hull -