Split IDEs subforum

What could be included in further releases, or for the forum.
pico

Split IDEs subforum

Post by pico » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:15 pm

I suggest splitting the IDEs subforum into two subfora: Arduino IDE and Other IDEs.

Reasoning: A single thread covering all the issues pertaining t the Arduino IDE is probably insufficient. Already the thread has been taken to completely different topics as every time someone has an IDE issue they post in that same thread, rather than starting a new one.

mrburnette

Re: Split IDEs subforum

Post by mrburnette » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:36 pm

pico wrote:I suggest splitting the IDEs subforum into two subfora: Arduino IDE and Other IDEs.

Reasoning: A single thread covering all the issues pertaining tO the Arduino IDE is probably insufficient. Already the thread has been taken to completely different topics as every time someone has an IDE issue they post in that same thread, rather than starting a new one.
I'm not keen on the suggestion.

This project & forum is titled "STM32DUINO" for a reason: our primary target platform for the various implementations of STM32 is the Arduino ecosystem.
But...
Our members are highly diverse individuals, so it is natural to discuss various other tool(s) in the context of "duino-ish" but moving thoughts off to a separate thread destroys the contextual nature of the thought processes. It is how our brains work (sometimes!)

Ideas arise from discussions. Thoughts mature through exploring the vastness of the possibilities.

Ray

pico

Post by pico » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:53 pm

mrburnette wrote: so it is natural to discuss various other tool(s) in the context of "duino-ish" but moving thoughts off to a separate thread destroys the contextual nature of the thought processes.
My suggestion is not to isolate thought. It is merely pointing that since the most commonly used IDE will be the Arduino IDE, most of the issues arising will be for this IDE, and a single thread for the whole subject has already become unwieldy.

We need more than one thread for all discussion pertaining to "Arduino IDE".

If another IDE or build platform became well-represented enough that a single thread was also insufficient to organise discussion, then I'd suggest a subforum fro that IDE/build platform too.
Last edited by pico on Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:55 pm

Conceed - compelling argument. Which is the reason we jumped the old forum thread to a new site. Makes sense.

Ray

sheepdoll

Post by sheepdoll » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:22 pm

mrburnette wrote:
Conceed - compelling argument. Which is the reason we jumped the old forum thread to a new site. Makes sense.

Ray
I am sort of playing catch-up here having only been able over the weekend to read these forums on my iPhone. I agree with @mrburnette too. Having read the full of megathread.

If needed i can if motivated code on the command line a bare metal system. In the past I have been proud to do so. On the other hand times and the way things are done have changed.

What has attracted me here is the IDE and the use of processing/wiring to get to the problem. There are a lot of "getting started books." Some of the people I work with get attractive to shiny low cost easy to use boards. Even though I already have a solution, I get handed "The latest and greatest, cheapest niftiest."

As far as the Arduino IDE the choice is not ours. I personally skew a bit twards *.cc as that is the url that appears in almost every book printed in the last few years.

Sure it would be great if there was a one size fits all approach. In the meantime, we have these forums, lets use them to work out STM32 specific issues.