date & time code the git zip download

What could be included in further releases, or for the forum.
zmemw16

date & time code the git zip download

Post by zmemw16 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:25 am

i find it useful when i download the zipped version to right click and select 'save as' to change '-master' to be date and time.
e.g.
Arduino_STM32-ddmmyy-hhmm.zip

much nicer than
Arduino_STM32-master.zip
Arduino_STM32-master(1).zip
Arduino_STM32-master(2).zip

i can do "md5sum Ardui*.zip" | sort" to easily see if it really has changed and to remove/manage duplicates.

it allows me to revert versions relatively painlessly and also means a 'git expert' can pin down which 'version' the repository was at and finally in the sketchbook/hardware directory making Arduino_STM32 a symbolic link to a directory Arduino_STM32_ddmmyy-hhmm allows for multiple versions.

of course a 'git expert' could do it (all | almost all) with a command line:-)

stephen

mrburnette

Re: date & time code the git zip download

Post by mrburnette » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:27 pm

zmemw16 wrote:i find it useful when i download the zipped version to right click and select 'save as' to change '-master' to be date and time.
e.g.
Arduino_STM32-ddmmyy-hhmm.zip
<...>
Yea, I download but rename as YYYYMMDD_<orig-name> and they are stored on my personal server in a "Downloads" partition, organized by <Product> or <Project> directory. This partition gets automatically backup'd nightly to a physical 1T drive. Having the YYYYMMDD prefix makes the directory sort easy.

Ray

zmemw16

Re: date & time code the git zip download

Post by zmemw16 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:52 pm

the sort is on the first field - md5sum and i only look at the low end 4 digits for duplicates,
in a konsole, in the zips directory

Code: Select all

md5sum A*.zip
type 'rm -f '  (double click on duplicate, middle click space ) repeat as required
other sad habit is i tend to pull the zip file anyway, as i'm never sure about the last updated x days ago message

stephen