compiler warnings

What could be included in further releases, or for the forum.
Rick Kimball

compiler warnings

Post by Rick Kimball » Wed May 06, 2015 4:48 pm

@RogerClark So I'm not sure if you want suggestions here on the forum or in the issues feature of github.com. I'll put this one here and you can let us know.

There is a feature I just noticed (not sure when it got added I'm using Arduino 1.6.4 compiled from source) in preference box:

Compiler warnings: "None|Default|More|All"

If you add this to the platform.txt before the compiler section:

Code: Select all

# compiler warning variables
# ----------------------
compiler.warning_flags=-w
compiler.warning_flags.none=-w
compiler.warning_flags.default=
compiler.warning_flags.more=-Wall
compiler.warning_flags.all=-Wall -Wextra
And then change the "-w" in the c and cpp flags to:

compiler.c.flags=-c -g -Os {compiler.warning_flags} -MMD -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -DBOARD_{build.variant} -D{build.vect} -DERROR_LED_PORT={build.error_led_port} -DERROR_LED_PIN={build.error_led_pin}
and

compiler.cpp.flags=-c -g -Os {compiler.warning_flags} -MMD -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -DBOARD_{build.variant} -D{build.vect} -DERROR_LED_PORT={build.error_led_port} -DERROR_LED_PIN={build.error_led_pin}
Once that change is made, the user can select different levels of compiler warnings. Just testing on a few example sketches reveals a lot of warnings that probably should be addressed. If nothing else, it shows more friendly warnings and errors without having to resort to the "Show verbose output during compilation" option.

-rick
-rick

RogerClark

Re: compiler warnings

Post by RogerClark » Thu May 07, 2015 11:21 am

Rick,

Sounds like a good idea, but I'll initially put it in a branch for people to test.

I can't do it now, as its getting late'ish and I've only just fixed an issue with Maple RET6 and also updated all the board.cpp files for the PIN_MAP change

But I will look at it tomorrow.