Hello! First project is DIY NeoPixel for the theater

KevinZ

Hello! First project is DIY NeoPixel for the theater

Post by KevinZ »

Hello, new user here. Just got access to this board.

I'm hoping to design a version of a NeoPixel, an addressable RGB LED device, for a stage production. Because it's a stage production, we can't use conventional NeoPixels, they're too small and dim. My idea is to create a custom PCB, with 1-4 discrete LEDs for each color channel, including a white channel, driven by a MOSFET from a +12v power rail. I'm hoping to use a STM8 or STM32 to provide the logic and the 3 or 4 output pins to control the MOSFET.

The control logic should be do-able in a STM8 or -32. Strings of 24 bits (for RGB) or 32 bits (for RGBW) are sent down the data line. The first NeoPixel captures and acts on the first 24 or 32 bits it sees on the data input line, and passes on the remaining bits on the data output line until the data line is quiet for more than 50 milliseconds.

Searching for the controlling parts, I can find a WS2811 that can control RGB, but I can't find the SK6812 required for RGBW. At $0.50 each, the WS2811s can't be beat, but if we require RGBW, we'll have to go with a custom solution.

Thanks for any advice or guidance you can offer on this project. I look forward to working with the STM family of microcontrollers.

-Kevin
KevinZ

Re: Hello! First project is DIY NeoPixel for the theater

Post by KevinZ »

Wow, if I could just find the UCS2912 available for sale...

-Kevin
KevinZ

Re: Hello! First project is DIY NeoPixel for the theater

Post by KevinZ »

Well, did find it for sale, at a reasonable price $0.70 each. But, the shipping is $30; too rich for me to just futz around with.

Also found a UCS2912BS for $0.36 each.

-Kevin

Return to “Let us know a bit about you and your projects”