F405 & F411 versions of the BluePill

What are you developing?
Squonk42

Re: F405 & F411 versions of the BluePill

Post by Squonk42 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:25 pm

If the current connector is turned 180°, you can clearly see that it is not possible to have the card edge aligned to the PCB edge because of the microUSB connector depth, and that the microUSB plug prevents extracting the card anyway:

Squonk42

Post by Squonk42 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:39 pm

racemaniac wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:55 pm
i'm from europe (belgium). Not sure how much it would cost for squonk to send some to me (he's from france, neighbouring country).
I just checked sending from belgium to france for example. The very least it'll cost is 7€ (that is if the total weight is below 350g and it's not thicker than 5mm)
if it's more than 350g, it becomes 14€...

at those prices it can quickly become cheaper to just have multiple shipments from china >_<
We are lucky, PCB and parts do not weight much... I check on my kitchen scale, an original Bluepill without header weights only 5g!

And for letters < 3 cm and < 20 g for Belgium, it only costs €1.20 with 3-4 days delivery, and €1.30 for most countries outside Europe. Add a plastic bubble envelope @ €0.20, grand total is €1.50 ($1.85).

I have almost all parts from AliExpress, and enough of them to build ~ 10 boards, except for the STM32 itself, you get the BOM details in my previous post above.

For those ready to do 0603 soldering, I can probably organize the shipping of unmounted PCB+parts to them for performing the initial tests (DON'T EVEN THINK IT WILL WORK AT ALL!!!), meaning you will probably need a fine-pitch soldering iron, a scope, binoculars at least... You are warned!

If you are still interested, please send me a PM.

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:02 am

Squonk, then what do you think, keep original connector in the position it was originally, or are you going to try that smaller one you found?
I don't think this is a deal breaker for anyone, at least not for first revision testing.

On a different subject, I'm going to make a comment on how I have replaced some diodes and resistors in tiny formats successfully:
Normal Iron, no binoculars.
Place a tiny bit of solder paste or flux in the pads.
Place component in pads with tweezers.
Hold component down and touch on top of component end with the iron for long enough for the component end to heat up, melt the solder, and solder to the pad.
Remove soldering iron from that end.
Let component cool down a bit, and while still holding it down, repeat process with the other end to solder it.

I have replaced some diodes and 0603 components. You need to hold the component down steadely, I have done so by carefully applying a bit of flux or solder paste to the pad, placing component (sticks a bit to the pcb thanks to the flux or paste), then release the tweezers and place the tip of the tweezer in the center of the component and press it down.
I think the key is to have good vision, you dont need to be extremely steady because once you are pressing down the component just enough it will stay in place just by friction, and the iron doesn't need to be anything special, large tips still work as long as you can touch the end of the component while holding it down.

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:58 am

Squonk42 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:39 pm
racemaniac wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:55 pm
i'm from europe (belgium). Not sure how much it would cost for squonk to send some to me (he's from france, neighbouring country).
I just checked sending from belgium to france for example. The very least it'll cost is 7€ (that is if the total weight is below 350g and it's not thicker than 5mm)
if it's more than 350g, it becomes 14€...

at those prices it can quickly become cheaper to just have multiple shipments from china >_<
We are lucky, PCB and parts do not weight much... I check on my kitchen scale, an original Bluepill without header weights only 5g!

And for letters < 3 cm and < 20 g for Belgium, it only costs €1.20 with 3-4 days delivery, and €1.30 for most countries outside Europe. Add a plastic bubble envelope @ €0.20, grand total is €1.50 ($1.85).

I have almost all parts from AliExpress, and enough of them to build ~ 10 boards, except for the STM32 itself, you get the BOM details in my previous post above.

For those ready to do 0603 soldering, I can probably organize the shipping of unmounted PCB+parts to them for performing the initial tests (DON'T EVEN THINK IT WILL WORK AT ALL!!!), meaning you will probably need a fine-pitch soldering iron, a scope, binoculars at least... You are warned!

If you are still interested, please send me a PM.
that's indeed more affordable :)
i'd certainly love to get a few pcb's to test with :) (and i'm completely set up to assemble these :). i can make my own solder paste stencils, have got good solderpaste, have got all required parts here, etc... :) ).

Squonk42

Post by Squonk42 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:05 am

victor_pv wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:02 am
I think the key is to have good vision, you dont need to be extremely steady because once you are pressing down the component just enough it will stay in place just by friction, and the iron doesn't need to be anything special, large tips still work as long as you can touch the end of the component while holding it down.
Then you have to repeat this for the 60+ components, half a day work... And you wish you had a binocular :D

Squonk42

Post by Squonk42 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:09 am

racemaniac wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:58 am
i'd certainly love to get a few pcb's to test with :) (and i'm completely set up to assemble these :). i can make my own solder paste stencils, have got good solderpaste, have got all required parts here, etc... :) ).
Yes, I can arrange to ship what you need to you, no problem, just let me know if there are special parts (connector, crystals, etc.) that you don't have.

I don't have a way to make stencils, nor do I have solder paste left, but I have a small Chinese T962 oven.

I guess I will have to solder by hand then :(

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:38 am

Squonk42 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:09 am
racemaniac wrote:
Yes, I can arrange to ship what you need to you, no problem, just let me know if there are special parts (connector, crystals, etc.) that you don't have.

I don't have a way to make stencils, nor do I have solder paste left, but I have a small Chinese T962 oven.

if you decide to get paste, i can always send you some stencils in return ^^

Squonk42

Post by Squonk42 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:54 pm

racemaniac wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:38 am
Squonk42 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:09 am
racemaniac wrote:

if you decide to get paste, i can always send you some stencils in return ^^
OK, let's do that!

Squonk42

Post by Squonk42 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:34 pm

I pushed a new version to Github, where I lengthen the 0603 resistor and capacitor pads by 5 mils to make hand-soldering easier. The SDCard connector is unchanged.

Also included in this version is the BOM wit hthe Aliexpress source column and the 3D model for R8 (USB pull-up) removed , as it is not mounted in the case of the STM32F405.

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:22 pm

nice, looks great :D