$10 O-Scope revisited

What are you developing?
ThunderOwl

Re: $10 O-Scope revisited

Postby ThunderOwl » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:53 am

rexnanet wrote:I've encounter this thing which is in a good price range and it's the "same" as we are doing here... sort of....
https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/Digital- ... ryId=50502

By the looks of things displayed, it is the same famous DS0-138 (also usually costs about 20 USD), but form factor and controls are changed.
EDIT: I read this is DSO150, targeted as replacement of DSO138. Firmware the same.
Speaking of chinese shops, I recently went to order some more "typical" TFT SPI 2.2" module(s), and was surprised - they went up in prices, and not it is more practical to buy TFT SPI 2.8" ones, those are still 7 ... 8 USD as they were before. I guess, stocks of old 2.2" screens are running dry?
In every man's childhood, first 40 years are the hardest

mausi_mick

Postby mausi_mick » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:20 am

I think it's a problem with the initializing the variable last_time, you have to set it to micros() in setup() or behind loop() ?

I have solved it a little bit other because I show the new functions/parameters on the display direct behind loop()

Code: Select all

void loop()
{
  // last_time = micros();
   if ((s_encp == 1) || (s_encf == 1) || s_sw >= 1) {
       showEncVal();  // display encoder values
   }   

and in showEncVal() I insert a delay(150) if the button is touched:

void showEncVal() {
      TFT.setRotation(LANDSCAPE);
      TFT.setTextSize(2);
      TFT.setCursor(80, 224);//230);
  //    TFT.setTextColor(ILI9341_BLACK,ILI9341_LIGHTGREY);
      if (col_fp == 1) TFT.setTextColor(ILI9341_RED,ILI9341_LIGHTGREY);
      else  TFT.setTextColor(ILI9341_BLACK,ILI9341_LIGHTGREY);
      TFT.print(actFunc);
      TFT.setTextColor(ILI9341_BLACK,ILI9341_LIGHTGREY);
      TFT.print(" ");
      if (col_fp == 2) TFT.setTextColor(ILI9341_BLUE,ILI9341_LIGHTGREY);
      else  TFT.setTextColor(ILI9341_BLACK,ILI9341_LIGHTGREY);
      TFT.print(actPosP); 
      TFT.print("  ");
      TFT.setTextColor(ILI9341_BLACK,ILI9341_LIGHTGREY);
      TFT.print(actValue);
      TFT.print("  ");
      TFT.setTextColor(ILI9341_GREEN,ILI9341_BLACK);
      if (s_sw >0) delay(150);  // <<######################### debounce switch #######################

s_encp   = 0;
      s_encf   = 0;
      s_sw     = 0;

rexnanet

Postby rexnanet » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:11 am

mausi_mick wrote:and in showEncVal() I insert a delay(150) if the button is touched:

That approach will slow down things a bit, but maybe it's ok.

BTW adding delays inside the encoder interrupt routines will end up in a stall, found out the hard way :) stack overflow maybe :roll:

rexnanet

Postby rexnanet » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:26 am

ThunderOwl wrote:
rexnanet wrote:I've encounter this thing which is in a good price range and it's the "same" as we are doing here... sort of....

By the looks of things displayed, it is the same famous DS0-138 (also usually costs about 20 USD), but form factor and controls are changed.
EDIT: I read this is DSO150, targeted as replacement of DSO138. Firmware the same.
Speaking of chinese shops, I recently went to order some more "typical" TFT SPI 2.2" module(s), and was surprised - they went up in prices, and not it is more practical to buy TFT SPI 2.8" ones, those are still 7 ... 8 USD as they were before. I guess, stocks of old 2.2" screens are running dry?

Yep, it's the same firmware mostly (changed to support encoder and analog setting functions) but it has a digital analog frontend as you don't need to change the switches with the gains as in the DSO138.
Also the case is better IMO.
Adding a battery and it may be a good investment :)

ahull

Postby ahull » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:49 pm

rexnanet wrote:
ThunderOwl wrote:

Yep, it's the same firmware mostly (changed to support encoder and analog setting functions) but it has a digital analog frontend as you don't need to change the switches with the gains as in the DSO138.
Also the case is better IMO.
Adding a battery and it may be a good investment :)

Its cheaper than the majority of usable mult-imeters. (Still twice the cost of the $10 O-Scope, though). I think there may be an open source firmware for the DSO-138 lurking about on the internet somewhere. Not sure it would work with this version as the hardware is a little different. It would make an interesting dev kit, and theoretically the $10 O-Scope code should work on it with a little tweaking once you figure out what display it uses and which switches and GPIO pins do what. I might need to look at getting one too.
- Andy Hull -

mrburnette

Postby mrburnette » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:36 pm

When I first conceived of the $10 Arduino O'scope it was simply as an educational tool, something a teacher or at home hobbyist could throw-together for under $10 from commonly available eBay parts - and very few parts!

As Andy has shown, brilliant software can turn a demonstration device into a really useful tool. His Pig Scope software advances the useful characteristics far beyond a classroom demonstration.

But I find little value in discussing morphing the scope beyond the $10 range since cheap Chinese hardware is designed in a dedicated manner. I think taking Andy's code and replacing the firmware of the Chinese scope is interesting, but I am not certain that any real value is going to be gained ... an interesting rainy-day project, perhaps: use ArduinoIDE and the STM32duino F1 core files to reprogram the Chinese scope.

Anyway, perhaps such discussions are best moved to their own home topic since they are not in the spirit of the $10 Scope.

Ray

ThunderOwl

Postby ThunderOwl » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:58 pm

My point of view here is, that, it is all about doing things. Not necessary reaching some sensible goals. For people like me, it is hobby to solder things together, criss-cross several devices, "hack" here and there. And, for me it is definitely not about a "cost per device". Hobbies are about money spending like there is no tomorrow, not about saving! :D Anyways, about costs - I have bought so many displays, dev boards, etc, etc, that sure for that money I would have already some both not expensive chinese USB-scope and something scope-ish with display. I don't really need a scope that much actually :) And I have some at work, that I can take home too. It is a Joy of Creation. Being Creator, not just a consumer (strong words, eh? 8) )
Oh, and I still need to make some off-topic post about list of DIY scopes besides O-Scope,that I have my eyes on. But here is short insight:
http://bildites.lv/users/ThunderJuris/albums

ahull

Postby ahull » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:27 pm

Oscilloscopes and multi-meters, you can never have too many of either. :D
- Andy Hull -

zhanx

Postby zhanx » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:45 pm

My take on the Scope Sketch is here..

https://github.com/pingumacpenguin/STM32-O-Scope

Its a fun little project and well worth building just for the entertainment value. Currently bandwidth is a little limited, but with a little extra effort it would be possible to make a fully functional 2MHz Scope for next to nothing. Ideal for probing i2c, audio and other low speed signals.

Andy are you still maintaining the GIT on this?

UTouch has changed the name of the Library and

#include <URTouch.h>
URTouch  myTouch( PB12, PB13, PB14, PB15, PA8);
#endif

Is all that needs to be changed, I downloaded everything and tested today ( i lost my DSO and this was a cheap replacement for now)

ThunderOwl

Postby ThunderOwl » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:02 pm

zhanx wrote:UTouch has changed the name of the Library ...

Yeah, I have mentioned that too some time before, on page 30. Also, if you are on Windows and need serial interaction with O-Scope, you probably need to change one more line (see my recent posts).

Return to “Projects”