STM32 Soldering Station

What are you developing?
.rpv

Re: STM32 Soldering Station

Postby .rpv » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:56 pm

Ollie wrote:Nice - good work

racemaniac wrote:love it :)
looks like a fun project :). Was it hard to get the temperature readings of the soldering iron correct?

No, that was easy, the PTC on those irons changes its resistance pretty linear with the temperature so Kuro (the original project's author, better explain: https://hackaday.io/project/3417-hakko- ... 2-software ) uses 2 very simple linear equations and you need something to capture both of them, then use the equations:

EquationA= (maxtemp-mintemp)/(maxanalogvalue-minanalogvalue)
EquiationB= mintemp-EquationA*minanalogvalue

On my project version this is a bit more automatic, you only need to enter directly both temps and the software do the equations and saves the values on the eeprom (flash). This can be even more automatic, I use an arduino with a max6675 (temp sensor) to check the temps, if the soldering station also have the max6675 can be almost fully automatic, but you need to do the calibration once (per soldering iron), so maybe this will be unnecessary/over kill.

Thanks.

.rpv

Postby .rpv » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:32 pm

neo2121 wrote:Looks great, I always wondered how hard it would be to make a control board for a soldering iron!

I'm curious, how does it perform in practice? Does it take long to get up to temp? What kind of stuff can you solder with it, would it work on some bigger through hole parts with bigger thermal mass etc.? Is it better/worse compared to the el cheapo' Hakko clones?

how does it perform in practice?
The temp it's pretty stable, usually varies +- 1-3º, the max variation I saw was about 6º, the original project reads the temp every 100ms and didn't explain why was choose this speed, the basic logic will tell that if you read the temp more quickly can perform better, I'll try with 50ms to see if there's a real performance improve.

Does it take long to get up to temp?
Took about 1min40s to reach 300ºC from 28º, now on this I used a 30w soldering iron and a small solar system to power it, I'll try with a proper AC power source and see if takes less time.

What kind of stuff can you solder with it, would it work on some bigger through hole parts with bigger thermal mass etc.?
Well, that depends on 3 things: the soldering iron, the power source and the mosfet you want to use, with the IRLZ44N with 3.3v as gate voltage (if I didn't read bad the datasheet) you are pretty covered, I soldered for >20mins and didn't get even warm and I'm not using heatsink for it but only was under 3A for this soldering iron, I've a hakko soldering iron 50w clone, but I think for me with the current iron it's OK.

Is it better/worse compared to the el cheapo' Hakko clones?
I don't know what clones are you referring, I saw some that are pretty much the same config as this and are from 9usd with those segmented led numeric display and some even with oled display for 16usd, but I think that this will be better because you can use the display/components you want/have, also I don't know if those can be calibrated so if you need precise temp regulation can be a issue.

Thanks.

.rpv

Postby .rpv » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:06 pm

A ~2min gif:

.rpv

Postby .rpv » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:16 am

Hi, so I've used this soldering station a lot since I opened this thread and works really well, with a 24v power supply the iron reach 300º from room temperature quicker that I reported when I used 12-16v (now takes 30 seconds or less).

I'm working on the version 2 of this soldering station, this is the schematics I'll use:

rSTM32.v2.schematics.png
rSTM32.v2.schematics.png (198.79 KiB) Viewed 449 times

The major differences are:
  • Change the nokia display for a small TFT
  • Change the rotary encoder for a numeric keypad.
  • Since it's now fast to reach the required temp I'll use a vibration switch to have a "stand-by" status to reduce the temp to, let's say, 100º, so when the iron isn't used the temp will be 100º, at the moment to move the iron the temp will reach the required temp.
  • And with this active/stand-by status can be used also to control a fume extractor.
  • Led driver control, using a PT115E, will be nice to put one unused PWM pin from the STM32 for dimming the led.

And this are some screens of my idea of this soldering station:

rSTM32.screens.v2.png
rSTM32.screens.v2.png (64.17 KiB) Viewed 449 times

What do you think or have you suggestions?
Thanks.

testato

Postby testato » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:46 pm

incredible good job ;)
may you post a video ?

zouk199

Postby zouk199 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:36 am

do u still have max6675 library for this project??

can u share??

thanks

Return to “Projects”