HB100 Radar speed detector

What are you developing?
ahull

Re: HB100 Radar speed detector

Post by ahull » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:51 pm

Just a thought...

Could you use the sections of the BISS0001 PIR detector chip to do your detecting I wonder. After all, it contains a bunch of op amps and comparators.
- Andy Hull -

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:17 pm

Andy.

I see what you mean, but I seem to have damaged 2 of the 3 "Motion sensor" boards, so I don't know if the opamp chip is still usable.

Though I don't suppose it would do any harm, to cut the track to the Osc section and try feeding in the IF output from the Doppler module.

I checked through my small stock of ICs and all I had were a few assorted 4000 and 7400 series devices plus a 555 and odds and sods. No OpAmps at all.

Luckily, Australia has a chain of shops called Jaycar which still sell resistors and capacitors and an assortment of ICs, as well as their normal fayre like speaker cable and TV antennas and batteries.
So it's only a 10 min drive to get common components. ( though at an enflated price)

There is also another smaller chain of stores called Altromics which have a better range of components, but they are around 30 mins drive from where I live, so I only go there if I am desperate to get something in a hurry, as if I am willing to wait a few days where are plenty of EBay vendors in Australia that each seem to see an odd assortment of components

Edit

I just powered up one of the RCWL 9196 based motion detectors which I thought I had fried, but it looks like its still working !
(Despite me applying 5V to its 3V pin!!)

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:25 pm

BTW.

I connected the IF output of the Doppler module into the mic input of my PC, though a 4.7uF cap.

If I record it and then use the Normalise feature in Audacity, I can hear both the noise from my linear PSU and also the dropper audio signal.

So the first problem is to get rid of the supply noise. Because my linear supply was surprisingly noisey when dealing with signals in the millivolt range.

I will need to see how noisey the PC USB or a USB PSU is by comparison, but it looks like getting rid of supply noise many be difficult.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:24 pm

I've had another thought about this...

I have a Nucleo F334 board, and the F3 has a built in OpAmp as well as comparitor(s)
http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/ ... 097745.pdf

So I presume that it would be possible to configure the internal opamp to amplify the signal and possibly to feed its output into a comparator before sampling by a GPIO.

I've taken a quick look at the CubeMX to see if its obvious how to configure it, but all I can see is how to enable it, and not how to set the gain or routing

Hopefully @fpstm can shed some light on potentially using the F3 for this.

PS. I will still try using an external opamp, and also the BISxxx chip from the other motion detector.

ahull

Post by ahull » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:35 pm

Sadly I don't think you would be able to use the 555 as an opamp (unless you are a masochist of course -> http://www.pmonta.com/555-contest/op-amp/op-amp.html ), though it does have two comparators, a flipflop and a buffer.
- Andy Hull -

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:38 pm

ahull wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:35 pm
Sadly I don't think you would be able to use the 555 as an opamp (unless you are a masochist of course -> http://www.pmonta.com/555-contest/op-amp/op-amp.html ), though it does have two comparators, a flipflop and a buffer.
LOL

Are you sure ;-) They seem to be able to used as virtually any other component ;-)

ahull

Post by ahull » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:52 pm

You can use it as a class D audio amp though.. sort of.. https://circuitdigest.com/electronic-ci ... er-circuit
- Andy Hull -

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:57 pm

I has comparators as well, so it may be possible to use it !

fpiSTM

Post by fpiSTM » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:28 am

@roger
I'm not very familiar with opamp. :roll:

Have you look inside F3 Cube example:
STM32Cube_FW_F3_V1.8.0\Projects\STM32F334R8-Nucleo\Examples_MIX\OPAMP\OPAMP_CALIBRATION\

you could make a post on https://community.st.com/community/stm32-community
You will have more precise answer.
Anyway I will try to have more information

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:07 am

Frederic

No worries.

I will see what reference information I can find.

I may also ask Avik De who has the Koduino repo as he is an expert in the F3 series

I'm also trying using an external OpAmp with the F1