F405 & F411 versions of the BluePill

What are you developing?
User avatar
RogerClark
Posts: 7683
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: F405 & F411 versions of the BluePill

Post by RogerClark » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:54 pm

Steve

I think Victor added SIO recently.

But here are many things missing from the F4 version of the LibMaple F4 (Arduino_STM32)

BTW.

I agree... Just use STLink to upload.

victor_pv
Posts: 1864
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:12 pm

Re: F405 & F411 versions of the BluePill

Post by victor_pv » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:54 am

Steve added SDIO to libmaple F4.
I ported Steve's to libmaple F1.

About bootloader, I started the thread with the F4 bootloader, it was based an STM application note.
Adding the timeout should be easy enough. Making it compatible with the F1 may not be so easy, but honestly as long as we may reliably launch dfuse from the IDE and the bootloader reboots after a reasonable timeout, I think that would not matter.
The bootloader is independent what core we use.
I think give the effort STM in putting in their core, and that's highly portable to more MCU, I plan to give it a shot.

victor_pv
Posts: 1864
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:12 pm

Re: F405 & F411 versions of the BluePill

Post by victor_pv » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:56 am

Squonk42 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:31 am
If you ar eordering some parts at Digi-Key, I may be interested in some (I don't have the 1616 RGB LED) if you can forward them to me, as they don't provide USPS to EU so shipping from them is expensive. Things like crystals (I have a few), F405 (I only have 2) and AP2214HA (I only have 5).
I still haven't place my order, but need to do so by tomorrow, which components do you need?

User avatar
Squonk42
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:25 am
Location: Bordeaux, France

Re: F405 & F411 versions of the BluePill

Post by Squonk42 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:15 am

RogerClark wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:54 pm
Steve

I think Victor added SIO recently.

But here are many things missing from the F4 version of the LibMaple F4 (Arduino_STM32)

BTW.

I agree... Just use STLink to upload.
Yes, on the STM32F405, the USB DFU mode requires the HSE external crystal, which may not work for us in the early stages, see ST AN2606, page 97.

csnol
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:57 pm

Re: F405 & F411 versions of the BluePill

Post by csnol » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:15 pm

Squonk42 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:15 am
RogerClark wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:54 pm
Steve

I think Victor added SIO recently.

But here are many things missing from the F4 version of the LibMaple F4 (Arduino_STM32)

BTW.

I agree... Just use STLink to upload.
Yes, on the STM32F405, the USB DFU mode requires the HSE external crystal, which may not work for us in the early stages, see ST AN2606, page 97.
?? Is there not 8M HSE external crystal on BP F4 board?
It is easy to upload STM32F4 on Arduino IDE by USB DFU mode if you don't mind to hold BOOT0 and press nRST key at everytime upload. I've tested on STM32F401.
but I think it is stupid press any keys before upload.
I Still have not better way to upload STM32F4 base on ST official bootloader.

racemaniac
Posts: 698
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:09 am

Re: F405 & F411 versions of the BluePill

Post by racemaniac » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:48 pm

csnol wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:15 pm
Squonk42 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:15 am
RogerClark wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:54 pm
Steve

I think Victor added SIO recently.

But here are many things missing from the F4 version of the LibMaple F4 (Arduino_STM32)

BTW.

I agree... Just use STLink to upload.
Yes, on the STM32F405, the USB DFU mode requires the HSE external crystal, which may not work for us in the early stages, see ST AN2606, page 97.
?? Is there not 8M HSE external crystal on BP F4 board?
It is easy to upload STM32F4 on Arduino IDE by USB DFU mode if you don't mind to hold BOOT0 and press nRST key at everytime upload. I've tested on STM32F401.
but I think it is stupid press any keys before upload.
I Still have not better way to upload STM32F4 base on ST official bootloader.
...
follow the discussion a bit before you panic :). We're going to slowly test the features of this board, not just slap everything on and pray it works. That includes things like the crystals. Step by step verify subparts working. So once we come to mounting the crystals, we can start using the bootloader etc... but that's not our first priority.

User avatar
Squonk42
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:25 am
Location: Bordeaux, France

Re: F405 & F411 versions of the BluePill

Post by Squonk42 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:43 pm

victor_pv wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:56 am
Squonk42 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:31 am
If you ar eordering some parts at Digi-Key, I may be interested in some (I don't have the 1616 RGB LED) if you can forward them to me, as they don't provide USPS to EU so shipping from them is expensive. Things like crystals (I have a few), F405 (I only have 2) and AP2214HA (I only have 5).
I still haven't place my order, but need to do so by tomorrow, which components do you need?
Well, I have most of the parts for non-optional features, except for the 1616 RGB LED (D2) and some stupid 510R and 560R resistors (R2/R3/R12/R14) but I should be able to get these last ones.

However, I only have 2x STM32F405RGT6 (U3) and only 5x AP2114HA (U1) and 5x FC-12M crystals (Y1).

And I don't have the parts for the battery charger: MCP73812T-320I/OT (U5), IRLML6402 (Q1) and 15k resistor (R17).

If you can get some extra of these in the same shipping from Mouser/DK (at least the ones I am missing or having in QTY < 5), please drop them in an envelope and send them to me by USPS, I will refund you via PP if you don't mind.

I have 10x NX3225GD (Y2), 20x SY6280 (U4) and 50x micro USB connectors (J5) that perfectly fit into the footprint (yeah!), so if you need some, pelase let me know!

User avatar
BennehBoy
Posts: 503
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:21 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: F405 & F411 versions of the BluePill

Post by BennehBoy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:59 pm

I'm using STM32Generic quite successfully, uploading using STLINK - although an F1 style bootloader would be great.

SDIO seems to work really well too - with the right cards.

I've not noticed much activity from Daniel lately, has he 'moved on'?
-------------------------------------
https://github.com/BennehBoy

User avatar
Squonk42
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:25 am
Location: Bordeaux, France

Re: F405 & F411 versions of the BluePill

Post by Squonk42 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:21 pm

First tests: I wanted to test the power supplies first, so I only soldered by hand the required components:
  • U1/C6/C8/C18 for the main LDO
  • U2/C1/C7/L2 for the analog LDO
  • D1/R2 for the power LED (I had to change R2 to 150R instead of 510R)
  • R19/R20 to bypass the charger
  • J5/D3 to feed +5V from USB
I have +4.84V on the 5V pins (because of the D3 Schottky diode drop), supplied by a wall wart (I don't have a bench supply and I don't want to fry my PC :) ).

The 3V3 is a little low at +3.20V, but the 3V3A OTOH is rather high at +4.20V ?!? No detected heat on any component. I checked with a scope and all voltages look clean. All other header pins are at 0V, and the green POWER LED turns on.

I checked U2 (the AP2112K3.3-TRG1 LDO), it is marked "G3P" which matches the datasheet. Its VIN pin is at 4.84V as well as its EN pin, GND is at 0V, but VOUT is +4.20V :?:

I will check the solder joints tomorrow at work with a Mantis binocular to see if there is something wrong.

Any idea?

User avatar
ahull
Posts: 1729
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:04 pm
Location: Sunny Scotland
Contact:

Re: F405 & F411 versions of the BluePill

Post by ahull » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:40 pm

Add a small load, say a 100 Ohm resistor across the output and see if it settles at a more reasonable level since the load regulation only appears to be stated with VIN=4.3V, 1mA≤I OUT ≤600mA

The AP2112 doesn't appear to come in a 4.2V version, so it isn't a packaging mistake. I suppose it could possibly be a fake.
- Andy Hull -

Post Reply