Anyone tried to make a 3D Printer controller?

What are you developing?
strawberrymaker

Anyone tried to make a 3D Printer controller?

Post by strawberrymaker » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:18 pm

Just did the math and saw that it could be possible to make a controller with atleast 3axis, 2 extruder, fans, 2 thermistors and 6 buttons (min, max). And from the sketch size it could also fit marlin onto a maple mini. Only thing would be a custom board with the pins. Did anyone tried this already? If not i'd take that as a side project :D

~Straw
Twitter : @maker_berry

RogerClark

Re: Anyone tried to make a 3D Printer controller?

Post by RogerClark » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:07 pm

I'm not aware of anyone having done this.

I think what you are suggesting is to make a ramps board that connects to a STM32 board, e.g. put a socket in the middle of the RAMPs board and plug a STM32 board into that socket rather than plug the RAMPS into a Mega 2560

I'm not sure how may pins you need and whether the Maple mini or most generic STM32F103C boards would have enough pins for this

You may need to use a small STM32F103VET board instead, as it would definitely have enough pins.

The other consideration is of course the voltage levels, as I'm not sure if the POLO stepper drivers can be controlled by 3.3V (you'd need to check)

strawberrymaker

Post by strawberrymaker » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:20 pm

@RogerClark Just checked the drv8825 drivers. their threshhold for high signal is 2.2-5.5V, so thats no issue. a4988 is also no issue, but i think ill rather test that.
Something ramps style was also my first thought, with the maple board plugged on the top side.
There shouldnt be any problem with pinout, as the ramps basically just uses ~24 pins. there could be a problem when using lcd, sd card or something else.

For me, this seems as an bit easier project than the ultimate dev board *cough* *cough*

with an vet6 board this could end up like something really crazy. but also an idea. guess i add one in my next order ^^

Well, i'll take a look at the weekend. but i have to check if atleast marlin is directly compatible with the maple/stm32.

~straw

sheepdoll

Post by sheepdoll » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:25 pm

RogerClark wrote: The other consideration is of course the voltage levels, as I'm not sure if the POLO stepper drivers can be controlled by 3.3V (you'd need to check)
I have been wondering that myself. There does not seem to be a good guide when it comes to what works and what does not. Especially at the component level. AVRs are fairly tolerant, It takes a good 12V with some current behind it to blow them.

enif

Post by enif » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:57 pm

The stepper drivers will definitely work with 3.3V. I have a modified RAMPS here that runs with an Arduino Due without problems on 3.3V, dicussed here. And there are several other 32-bit controllers which also use 3.3V electronics. The big discussion is rather about driving the MOSFETs with only 3.3V. But if you're going to design a new board, it's easy to add an additional transistor to drive the MOSFET gates at a higher voltage.

strawberrymaker

Post by strawberrymaker » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:15 pm

Ok, a short list of Things :
-5 Stepper Driver (15 Pins)
-6 Buttons for Min. & Max. (6 Pins)
-3 Thermistors (3 Pins)
-2 Hotend (2 Pins)
-3 Fans, 2 for Hotend + 1 for Driver (3 Pins)
-1 Heatbed (1 Pin)

That way I basically end up with no Pin left, fits perfectly :D .

Working on a schematic now.

~Straw

enif

Post by enif » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:14 pm

Woudn't it be good to have some additional pins left for adding some kind of display adapter and an SD-Card reader?

This would of course mean going to some larger STM32 board, such as e.g. this one, as already proposed by Roger. But given that you will be putting a lot of time and effort into this, it might be worth while.

strawberrymaker

Post by strawberrymaker » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:54 am

Guess I'll have to wait for the next delivery. I could take a look at the firmware for it in the mean time. I don't think that any firmware will run native on it

~Straw

strawberrymaker

Post by strawberrymaker » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:55 pm

Hmm...... Just thought about an addon : using a ili9341 screen with touch, but instead of driving it with the main controller (the vet6 board), driving it with a seperate baite maple mini which is sending gcode to the board and acting like an host controller (maybe with the esp8266). As im not quite sure how hard the vet6 is going to work for the actual controlling and if it going to slow down that hard if its driving the display.

~Straw

Drakelive

Post by Drakelive » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:41 am

Good morning

There are news? I am particularly interested in this project for some time that I try to document me.
I am listening.

Drk