Anyone tried to make a 3D Printer controller?

What are you developing?
victor_pv

Re: Anyone tried to make a 3D Printer controller?

Post by victor_pv » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:47 pm

xebbmw wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:45 pm
victor_pv wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:07 pm
I'm designing a board around a VET MCU and can have 8 steppers 6 fets, 4 thermistors, 2 sdcards, LCD, and have pins to spare.
Do you mean here STM32F1 or STM32F4 VET board?
Should work with either.

xebbmw

Post by xebbmw » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:11 pm

victor_pv wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:47 pm
xebbmw wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:45 pm
victor_pv wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:07 pm
I'm designing a board around a VET MCU and can have 8 steppers 6 fets, 4 thermistors, 2 sdcards, LCD, and have pins to spare.
Do you mean here STM32F1 or STM32F4 VET board?
Should work with either.
There is no much difference in price between STM32F1 and STM32F4 VET. From the size point of view STM32F1 VET seems to be a bit smaller and some F1 VET boards have no SD card slot. I do not think flash size should be a problem for Marlin at this point but for sure the black F4 VET has more SRAM.
Last edited by xebbmw on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:15 pm

I'm designing it so I can plug this board:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-STM ... e3a558ae8e

I think it's one of the smallest and cheapest stm32F4 boards.
I do not like the voltage regulator in it, and don't like the microUSB either.
Other than that, is a nice board with all IO pins broken out, 32Khz xtal, i2c eeprom, sdcard. There is an F103VCT version, surprisingly for a couple of bucks more.
But I really like the tiny form factor, and that can be unplugged for programming, testing, or reuse on anything else.

xebbmw

Post by xebbmw » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:21 pm

victor_pv wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:15 pm
I'm designing it so I can plug this board:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-STM ... e3a558ae8e

I think it's one of the smallest and cheapest stm32F4 boards.
I do not like the voltage regulator in it, and don't like the microUSB either.
Other than that, is a nice board with all IO pins broken out, 32Khz xtal, i2c eeprom, sdcard. There is an F103VCT version, surprisingly for a couple of bucks more.
But I really like the tiny form factor, and that can be unplugged for programming, testing, or reuse on anything else.
It is a nice mini F4 VET board. I only looked at black F4 VET, but the mini version is even better. I am going to order one also.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:23 pm

Victor

I agree, that board has a good form factor and good price. I posted about it in a different thread yesterday, where someone wants to make a Due form factor board, to show that its probably pointless as they cant compete on price etc.

I dont have one of those, but I will order one today.

Re: Regulator etc

You can put a duplicate reg on your board, and depending on the internal USB wiring on the board, you can probably put a duplicate USB connector on your board

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:00 pm

spon! wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:11 pm

That's great news! Unfortunately, my cat decided to learn how chew-able electronics are and stole from the table my only bluepill (note to self: next time buy more than one) so I have to wait until the new one arrives... yeah, that's my luck...
[
you might want to check the feline's teeth, also if any bits are missing from the BluePill. I'll leave further investigation to you, note X-Ray of the cat in the UK costs £70, the further bit to remove the 2" needle and its attached thread adds another £250.

you might also want to check the Baite Maple Mini clone for batch pricing, 10 off is pretty good.

stephen

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:17 pm

Roger, the USB pins (PA10 and 11 or whichever they are) are indeed in the headers, so I have thought on that.
5V and 3.3V are also available, so I could add a usb connector, then power the regulator on board with 5V, or add a different regulator and feed the board just with 3V3.
The only pins sadly not available in the headers are the analog refs and grounds, and the Resest pin, so you reset you have no choice but to use the board button. It's a really nice little board.
The voltage regulator is not too good, and there is no diode protection on VBUS, those are the major drawbacks I have found.

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:18 pm

zmemw16 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:00 pm

you might want to check the feline's teeth, also if any bits are missing from the BluePill. I'll leave further investigation to you, note X-Ray of the cat in the UK costs £70, the further bit to remove the 2" needle and its attached thread adds another £250.

stephen
I guess someone's cat ate a needle :lol:

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:20 pm

@spon!

Ah.. Its a single layer PCB. That explains things. Are you making the board yourself?

Re: Straps

I'm not sure how this is accomplished, the only workaround I can see is to add some 0 ohm resistors to your schematic, for the connections you know need to have straps, when choose a footprint of a resistor which is big enough to bridge the gap.

then in production, just fit a insulated copper wire.

As a matter of interest, I will see what the KiCad work-around is for that...

ag123

Post by ag123 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:34 pm

alce wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:32 pm
Here is another fw for stm32f46re nucleo. I fixed the adc to work with multiple sensors and I've been printing couple of days now. I am really pleased with the print quality even at high rates. I could not get the adc dma to raise an interrupt so the temperature readings can seem little bit noisy. I am using A4988 for xyz. The cheap A4988's I got seem little too wimpy for mk8 extruder so I am using drv8825(w/ diode fix and 3cm fan). Some of the fets I had in there were working but I also saw couple instances where they started reaching very high temperatures for unknown reasons. I ended up wiring external 2 channel relay module I had instead. I am going to try using 4x "High power MOS Field Effect Tube Trigger switch" instead. Also the nucleo started crashing when I added 2 ohm heated bed most likely because of voltage drop.

https://filebin.ca/3bxb4sEv8Oa7/main.bin
https://filebin.ca/3bxbM2u3kznT/config.default should be saved as config.txt on sd card to be read.
would you mind sharing some photos of the boards and the prints? :D
it did seem indeed that smoothieware may be an easier starting point and better fit with stm32 controllers as smoothieware is after all based on
NXP's Cortex-M3 LPC1769
http://smoothieware.org/
the photos could perhaps be uploaded and linked from https://imgur.com/