HI from Boston

dmaxben

HI from Boston

Post by dmaxben » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi everyone...been messing around with Arduino for a while.

All of my past/current projects are automotive related, so CAN is my main focus. Ive used the Arduino Due/SAM3X8E in the past because of the dual CAN controllers and good processing power...but the chip is HUGE. I need to make my devices as small as possible, so its frustrating that we get locked into this massive 144-pin QFP if we want dual CAN controllers in Arduino!

After lots of searching...it seems the STM32 might be what Im looking for...integrated/native CAN, Arduino support, 32-bit power, small package!

Looking forward to learning more.

Ben

RogerClark

Re: HI from Boston

Post by RogerClark » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:22 pm

Hi Ben

We have some support for CAN, but its not in my repo (Arduino core) at the moment, because CAN uses the same internal resources as USB on the F103.

I think people have got CAN working by modifying by repo, and there has been some effort to try to combine it into the master version of my repo, but as it breaks the USB operation, this merge is still pending

Use google to search the forum, and you'll quickly find the thread about CAN

PS.
Perhaps the STM32F4 boards can provide both CAN and USB at the same time, so you could potentially use one of them, and then use either STMs official Core or Daniel's STM32GENERIC Core! both of which use STM's HAL

vargham

Post by vargham » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:30 pm

F2xx MCUs can also provide both CAN (2x) and USB at the same time.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:21 pm

vargham wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:30 pm
F2xx MCUs can also provide both CAN (2x) and USB at the same time.

Does the F4 do this as well?
F4 seems to normally be a superset of the F2 and F4 boards seems more generally available than rhe F2