Hello from Canada

jonnm4

Hello from Canada

Post by jonnm4 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:33 pm

Hello, Everybody

It's a pleasure to talk to fellow electronics enthusiasts.
I'm a huge Arduino fan but recently I've become a little obsessed with Digital Signal Processing & I really want to make a digital synthesizer.
But, even with an R2R DAC and direct port manipulation, I've been unable to reach the desired frequencies without having to reduce the number of bits in the DAC, Let alone be able to read ADC & do the DSP.

A teacher at Mohawk College suggested STM32F4-Discovery (STM32F407VG), which I immediately purchased. I had difficulty using STM32CubeMX & Atollic's True Studio, so I used Roger Clark's Arduino_STM32 to enable me to use the Arduino IDE.
https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/Arduino_STM32

I can upload code though the Arduino IDE to blink LEDs. But, I'm having a great deal of trouble including the STM32F4 libraries to access the on-board peripherals, specifically the CS43L22 audio DAC. I've tried adding the STM32F4 libraries to the arduino libraries folder & Including the libraries I need at the top of my sketch but I get many errors when I try to compile,
- this is the location of the previous definition
- conflicting declaration 'typedef struct ADC_Common_TypeDef ADC_Common_TypeDef'
- 'ADC_Common_TypeDef' has a previous declaration as 'typedef struct ADC_Common_TypeDef ADC_Common_TypeDef'

I can only assume I added too many libraries and some contradict each other.
Any pointers would be very much appreciated, as you can probably tell I'm not a programmer.
Sorry In advance for not starting a new topic, I don't post on forums often enough to know the proper forum etiquette.

Thanks, Jonnm4

jonnm4

Re: Hello from Canada

Post by jonnm4 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:59 pm

Hello Everybody,

Just found STM32F407 Core for Roger Clark's STM32 Arduino project : STM32F4 discovery Audio codec I2S enabled
https://github.com/mubase/STM32F4-Arduino-core

I'll let you know if I get it running :D

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:18 pm

welcome

The F4 is a good platform for dsp as it has floating point, but I2S is also available on the larger F103 decvices.

F4 support in my repo is not as well supported as the F1 ( about 90% of the forum members only use the F1), so you may want to look at STMs own Arduino Core or Danielef’s STM32 GENERIC Core, both of which are based in STMs HAL

There are sections in the forum for both these cores, so you may like to take a look and see if they are more suitable for what you are doing

jonnm4

Post by jonnm4 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:45 pm

Thank you good sir, you are a scholar and a gentleman.
I greatly appreciate the tip.