mmahmud1: Greetings from Max in NY

mmahmud1

mmahmud1: Greetings from Max in NY

Post by mmahmud1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi there. I'm a retired data center operations manager who likes to play with hardware and software: computers, electronics, audio and video etc. I'm working on some projects with wireless sensor networks, voice recognition, home automation, etc. But I'm just starting out after 25 years of mostly management stuff.

When I was an engineer, i did a lot of programming on early PCs, micro-controller designs, PCB layouts etc. I did assembly and C, FORTH. I learned JAVA in 2005 when my son took it in high school, I wrote a Batttleship game. I'm a little rusty, but programming is one off my strengths.

I set up a Raspberry Pi a few years back. Ran some general linux web servers, and a KODI install. A couple months back I got my first Uno. Been going through the basic examples. I am planning to do some FFTs and convolutions, pattern matching I hope. I saw some processor comparisons in an academic article, and that lead me to get a maple mini.

I'm having some issues with the USB device configuration. I spent all day yesterday working on it. I got it working partially, but not right so I need some assistance. I think you will find the story amusing.

Thanks in advance.
Max

RogerClark

Re: Greetings from Max in NY

Post by RogerClark » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:13 pm

Hi Max

What operating system are you using?

If you Re running windows I presume run ran the bat file to install the drivers ?

mmahmud1

Post by mmahmud1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:34 am

It is Windows 10. I'm planning to provide the details under the installation section. Thank you for the prompt reply and i look forward to participating here.

I did run the batch file, several times in fact. I finally did get the port to show up but it will not persist. I captured the log output and can provide that as well.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:48 am

Windows 10 is know to work OK.

A common missunderstanding is the bootloader just provides DFU (not Serial).
Maple mini boots into the bootloader,
Bootloader appears as a DFU device on USB
After timeout (waiting for upload) bootloader jumps to sketch
Sketch provides Serial USB

If your board does not have a sketch installed, you don't see any Serial USB

Just upload a empty sketch

The normal way to do this is to hold the reset button down until the IDE tries to upload, then release the button.

BTW. This is only a problem because the Chinese vendors of the Maple mini use an old (out of date) bootloader. The new one contains both the bootloader and a dummy sketch.

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Hello, Max;

Welcome to the STM32duino forum. I made some comments to a new forum member this week, you may find something interesting in my response:
http://stm32duino.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3073#p39605

Ray

mmahmud1

Post by mmahmud1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:51 pm

Thank you Ray I did read that post before I submitted mine.

Thank you Roger for the prompt reply again. I did load a sketch, and it did take, however there was DFU error and afterwards,the port disappeared. I will provide more details and the script output in the installation section.

Here is the output from loading onto a virgin Maple board. After the first run, the behavior changes. I will provide the details.

First run on VIRGIN BOARD: (port was not available, used default from previous run)
Sketch uses 16020 bytes (14%) of program storage space. Maximum is 110592 bytes.
Global variables use 2816 bytes (16%) of dynamic memory, leaving 14592 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 17408 bytes.
maple_loader v0.1
Resetting to bootloader via DTR pulse
Reset via USB Serial Failed! Did you select the right serial port?
Searching for DFU device [1EAF:0003]...
Assuming the board is in perpetual bootloader mode and continuing to attempt dfu programming...

Found it!

Opening USB Device 0x1eaf:0x0003...
Found Runtime: [0x1eaf:0x0003] devnum=1, cfg=0, intf=0, alt=1, name="DFU Program FLASH 0x08005000"
Setting Configuration 1...
Claiming USB DFU Interface...
Setting Alternate Setting ...
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
Transfer Size = 0x0400
bytes_per_hash=320
Starting download: [##################################################] finished!
state(8) = dfuMANIFEST-WAIT-RESET, status(0) = No error condition is present
Done!
Resetting USB to switch back to runtime mode
error resetting after download: usb_reset: could not reset device, win error: The system cannot find the file specified.

mmahmud1

Post by mmahmud1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:05 pm