Hello from Stockholm

Please read this if you are new to the STM32

Message to all users

I've upgraded the forum (PHPBB) to version 3.1.10 which is the last stable release in the 3.1 tree.

As far as I can tell everything is still working OK, e.g. all posts look like they are there and the attachments are OK

If anyone has any problems please PM me.
PS. Don't PM the admin account as for some reason I still don't get email notifications of these PM's (but I never have ;-)

MartinP

Hello from Stockholm

Postby MartinP » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:12 pm

Howdy.

I found out about the Maple Mini just about a year ago (can't remember where though).
I'm a mechanical engineering student, very fund of mechatronics and embedded systems.

Today my latest creation took its first own steps.

Looking forward to envolve myself, instead of just lurking around.
Cya!

RogerClark

Re: Hello from Stockholm

Postby RogerClark » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:29 pm

Welcome Martin.

Thanks for sharing your video

Can you add some comments to your video, saying its using a Maple mini etc, and perhaps link to this post.

If you find that the Maple Mini does not have enough CPU speed, or you need floating point maths, there are more (cheap - less than $10) STM32F407 boards starting to come out of China, which we should be able to support soon.

MartinP

Postby MartinP » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:46 pm

Hi Roger.
Will do.

I might look into the boards later on. I have a long way to go until I know if the PID is too CPU-hungry or not 8-)

This is what I'm up against:

(The 3 identical cars uses Teensy 3.1 if I'm not wrong)

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:55 pm

Teensy is faster than the Maple mini. Clock speed is higher and it has FPU, (but its $25 not $5 !)

I just bought this board from AliExpress for under $10

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/STM32F4 ... 0.0.xnyky1

But at the moment its not easy to upload to, as we don't have a working bootloader for it, and the internal USB DFU bootloader is not compatible with our existing DFU uploader :-(

But when its working, It should be much faster than a Teensy, as clock speed is 168Mhz and it has FPU.

You can overclock the Maple Mini, but the USB doesnt work above 72Mhz.

MartinP

Postby MartinP » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:10 pm

Thanks, ordered one. I have a chinese ST-link V2 in the lab, happy to get use of it.

Regarding the Teensy used in the cars above; They don't come with FPU https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/25909-Teensy3-1-and-FPU-(Floating-Poitn-Unit)
Youre refering to the new ones (3.5 and 3.6). 8-)

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:18 pm

Martin

OK.

We have some basic F4 support in the LibMaple core (the one you will be using for the Maple Mini) and STM are developing their own core (based on their HAL), which will eventually include support for the F4 (though at the moment it only supports the F1 and L4)

Re: Teensy

OK. I must be getting confused with the newer versions.

I think the Maple mini has marginally lower performance than the Teensy, but Paul has the option to overclock the Teensy and we don't have that via a menu etc, though you could easily change it yourself (at the expense of loosing USB)
The GD32F103 is a good device, but boards which use it are hard to find, it can run overclocked at 120Mhz and still have USB.

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:21 pm

BTW. What sensors are you using ?

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:17 am

Thanks

That looks a useful sensor. I have tried the ultrasonic distance sensors but they don't work that well, and the short range IR ones are only useful for detecting you about to bump into something.

I presume its the same as this one on eBay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Arduino-Shar ... 0940090233

MartinP

Postby MartinP » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:22 am

Roger
The main difference between my sensors and the you showed me is that the output of mine is a ten bit number on the I2C bus ;)

Return to “Welcome & FAQs”