Hello from Germany

Please read this if you are new to the STM32
ramimo

Hello from Germany

Postby ramimo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:24 am

Hi all!

I found this forum while searching for information about the STM32F1. Roger, you did an exceptional work!

About me: I code computers since the stone age (1982 or so). My first computer was a Casio PB100 with 544, byte RAM. Then Sinclair Spectrum, Atari ST and more x86 computers than I can count. Normally I program Windows machines to pay my rent, up to quite large systems, eg. with databases in the TB range.

Some time ago I stated to tinker with the simplest Arduinos. But the limitations drove me nuts. I am not new to optimization, but that was too much. Then I found the STM32F103 on my regular hunts at aliexpress. Finally, enough humph for some real work, and cheap as dirt, too! But only your code made it possible for me to get something done with this beauty. At my current project, I have to get a signal from a TCRT5000L, display something on a color LCD and run two tiny motors. It is amazing what you can do with some cheap boards and wires. I also ordered some GD32F103 boards, even when they are relatively expensive (https://de.aliexpress.com/item/100-new- ... 82303.html). More is better :)

So, after getting so much from you, I try to give something back. It won't be much because microcontrollers are not my specialty, but I'll try.

Fun fact: I got some STM32L053 Discovery boards for almost free. ST integrated a ST-LINK V2 on that board, with a STM32F103CBT, which is was way more powerful than the mc you are encouraged to play with.

Oh, and a question. In my current project, I use SPI1 with DMA and DIV2 to push data to a display. Additionally, I put a 10 kHz PWM signal on A2 (I need that resolution for the project), connected to the LED+ of the display (yes, I suffer with that LED background light, too). Sometimes the data are not sent correctly via SPI. Is there some side effects between A2 / Timer 2 and SPI, or is it just the flimsy free flying cabling or crosstalking on the display board that cause this effect? I think of the latter because everything is nice when I simply don't connect die PWM signal to the display. It is not a real problem because I can simply switch PWM off before starting the transfer, I am just curious.

danieleff

Re: Hello from Germany

Postby danieleff » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:54 am

ramimo wrote:Fun fact: I got some STM32L053 Discovery boards for almost free. ST integrated a ST-LINK V2 on that board, with a STM32F103CBT, which is was way more powerful than the mc you are encouraged to play with.

I have it too, there is also a STM32L152 on that. One day I'll get that epaper work in arduino.

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:35 pm

Maple Mini's are still under $5

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 46722.html

I have a feeling that the search feature on AliExpress is not very good

Also. I found the Black Pill is still cheap

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-ST ... 0.0.rJI1lD

I think the German AliExpress site seems to have "German" prices ;-) (i.e they think you can afford more than us impoverished Australians)

ramimo

Postby ramimo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:31 am

RogerClark wrote:I think the German AliExpress site seems to have "German" prices ;-) (i.e they think you can afford more than us impoverished Australians)

Nah :) With three kids, money is just a faint idea for us. I buy the cheapest Blue Pills I can get, eg. €1.47 / AUD 2.08 for one (up to 5 w/o additional shipping costs) or 10 for €16.70 / AUD 23.71. For the GD32F103 I had to pay more, €8.08 / AUD 11.47 each. But they are for the rare occasions when 120 MHz are needed. Please don' t tell me you are paying way less :)

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:39 am

Same price for me ;-)

I'm generally using Maple minis, which cost a bit more but are better quality.

Chufu

Postby Chufu » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:10 am

Fon mir auch!!! From me to!!!
Hallo an alle Deutsche und Deutschsprachigen und
and
Hello at the rest of the World!
:D
LG
Der Chufu

zoomx

Postby zoomx » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:09 pm

RogerClark wrote:I have a feeling that the search feature on AliExpress is not very good

I found that if I open an incognito window and do the same search I find much more results.

Return to “Welcome & FAQs”