Hello from Poland

Please read this if you are new to the STM32
RogerClark

Re: Hello from Poland

Post by RogerClark » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:03 pm

I think the increased processor speed etc, gives better stepper control, and the ability to handle things like automatic bed levelling.
Because the firmware has to do a lot of work, as it is simply sent commands to move to x,y,z and set flow rate, and has to work out exactly what pulses to send the 4 motors in order to do that in the most efficient and accurate way.

It also has to run the PID on 2 heaters, with the HotEnd needing to be turned on and of several times a second to keep it at an accurate temperature.

So , I guess the AVR processor is working very hard to do all of that.

PS. @madias got a new 3d printer from Aliexpress a while ago, and was impressed with what he got for the money.

I have an old MendleMax 1.5 which I have had for at least 3 years, and it still works fine, despite just being left in the shed, without any maintenance etc.
But i did make a cabinet for it, ( which keeps the dust etc off it).

I am sure 3d printing has improved a lot since I bought my machine, and printers are now a lot cheaper ( I paid $800 USD for a kit which came from a company in Malaysia )

Mine is probably slow and inaccurate by modern standards

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:27 pm

A chap I work with has 12 of them.

He recommended that I start with an original Prusa i3 V2 and just upgrade any components as I see fit. They are ~ 600 quid and have a 7 week lead time.

I didn't think that was too bad of a price for a pretty capable machine.
-------------------------------------
https://github.com/BennehBoy

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:48 pm

BennehBoy wrote:A chap I work with has 12 of them.

He recommended that I start with an original Prusa i3 V2 and just upgrade any components as I see fit. They are ~ 600 quid and have a 7 week lead time.

I didn't think that was too bad of a price for a pretty capable machine.
I think thats what @madias bought on Aliexpress, for about half the price.

mmonsterski

Post by mmonsterski » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:42 am

I see STM have an eval printer board and their own fork of Marlin.
Is there any reason why to actually chose STM over AVR for the contoller? Other than because it can be used that is?
I really like the idea of building my own 3d printer.
Ok. There are big list of changes in this version ofMarlin and it will be simplier just to port vanilla version than modify code from that board. Instead of regular stepstick-s they use L6474 based solution which are controlled by SPI (there is no support in vanilla code).
I think the increased processor speed etc, gives better stepper control, and the ability to handle things like automatic bed levelling.
Because the firmware has to do a lot of work, as it is simply sent commands to move to x,y,z and set flow rate, and has to work out exactly what pulses to send the 4 motors in order to do that in the most efficient and accurate way.

It also has to run the PID on 2 heaters, with the HotEnd needing to be turned on and of several times a second to keep it at an accurate temperature.

So , I guess the AVR processor is working very hard to do all of that.
My main reasons are: speed and precision :lol: AVR is to slow to use with reasonably print speed 0.9 stepper motors and 1/128 stepsticks (True 1/128 ew. HR4988, THB6128 ). They greatly improve print quality ( especially 0.9 motors ). AVR have also big problem with refreshing full graphics display without noticeable slowdowns.
Minor reason is: Bluepill is very cheap comparing to Arduino Due ( now discountinued ).
Now I'm trying to make a prototype with modified Bluepill ( Bluepill don't have any protection about powering it from usb and 5v pin simultaneously - so I've just cut trace from 5v usb), arduino mega prototype, power regulator (to power board from Ramps), and ramps board board.