Greetings from Serbia

mikikg

Greetings from Serbia

Post by mikikg » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:11 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm HW and SW developer with almost two decades of experience, I have done mostly industrial PLCs and various interfaces for that.

My first experience with modern PC was on ZX81, later ZX Spectrum and Sinclair QL, later in "Internet era" I done various WEB based applications (ERP, CMS, CRM).
For PLC I have used various MCU/CPU, first with Z80, then 8052 and derivates, and of course then Microchip come to light with PIC16C52 and you know then rest of the story. dsPIC was my favorite until STM32duino come to scene :)

In previous period I worked (for myself) on different Software Defined Radio (SDR) projects, I'm one of "co-author" of "famous hack" for converting cheep DVB-T dongles into HF SDR receiver, also I bring Si5351 interests to public as alternative for expensive Si570 long before Adafruit and others :)

I found this STM32duino forum about month ago and I think that idea about STM32+Arduino can be very usefully. I did not code too much in Arduino IDE, mostly bare metal on STM32F4 Discovery.
First thing I done following tutorial from this forum is to build BMP on Blue Pill. I'm extremely satisfied how that small and cheep device work!

Like @RogerClark I also run small forum for applied electronic, we discuss about audio, precise analog electronics, SDR, DC/DC power converters (hot topic is LLC resonant power converters), programming in general and other interesting topics:
http://forum.yu3ma.net
http://yu3ma.net

Also check some of my OS HW project which I recently publish on GitHub (new project soon):
https://github.com/yu3ma/

Best regards,
Miki
Last edited by mikikg on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RogerClark

Re: Greetings from Serbia

Post by RogerClark » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:37 pm

Hi Miki

Welcome.

I think you have a very similar background and experience to many of the regulars on the forum.

I built the original Zx80 from a kit while I was still at school, and had the Zx81 and Spectrum computer, and got into assembler programming to get the most out of the CPU. I also used to build my own expansion ports for those machines, and built a clone of the SpecDrum hardware when I was a bit older ( possibly when I was just about to go to university)

We have forum members who started on even older computers, but also members who have only done MCU programming on the Arduino AVR etc.

BTW. i use SDR occasionally, so thanks for your work on that.

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:46 pm

We're showing our age!

I cut my teeth on 6510 assembly - aka Commodore 64 :)

Myself and a friend used to break the copy protection on games (shhh) and uplift tape based games onto disk: the good old 1541.

At school we had ZX-80's and custom Research Machines Z80 based computers.

I went on to MC68K Assembly (Amiga), and Z80 based controller boards at Uni.

After that I dropped back into education but this time professionally and did a lot of mucking about on the very early ARM Risc based Archimedes computers.

Then a long hiatus - I switched to the x86 dark side and became a NetWare expert... the rest is history.

Welcome aboard!
-------------------------------------
https://github.com/BennehBoy

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:54 pm

In my defence, I did start very young.

I had electronics kits long before we could afford a computer, which had switches and an LDR and a lamp and a transistor etc etc
Later on, I recall building an analogue "Moon lander" game (but I didnt really understand how it worked - as was basically integrators and differentiators, and that was well beyond the maths I was doing at school at the time)

Got my Class B HAM radio license, at the minimum age (14), which meant I had to do the full City and Guilds exam, (and I think I got into the highest score band (as they didnt use to list the actual percentage) ) and did the Morse code exam the next year to get the Class A HAM radio license at age 15.

I also wrote my own tape copying program for the Sinclair ZX computers, as the data transfer was very simple and there are API calls in the ROM you could use to read in each block to memory and write it back out again to tape.

mikikg

Post by mikikg » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:44 pm

At a time of ZX81 and ZX Spectrum I mostly play games, I was too young, 1st or 2nd grade of elementary school ...

I remember my first attempt to hack ZX Spectrum and build "auto fire" device with "self switching mechanical relay", I open case, find wiring for key used in game and connect relay on that lines ... Results? :) Several dead memory chips, ULA and Z80, sparks from relay kill them all.
My father was both happy and mad because that, mad because they used that ZX for it's work and happy because thay see something "unusual" in me.

To "punish" me, they build small program for math practice, series of question with basic math operation, likes "16+23=?", "7*6=?" ... ohh that was sooo heavy for me, I correctly answered just several questions ... but I find workaround "16+23=16+23", "7*6=7*6" :) ... after that they give up to punish me on such way :)

My father own at that time private company for manufacturing PLCs, I learn enormous things from them regarding industrial electronics and programing, also was HAM operator (YU1ZM), later I also get HAM license (YU3MA)...