Hi from a prospective stm32 owner

pflipp

Hi from a prospective stm32 owner

Post by pflipp » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi everyone,

Forum says I should introduce myself first, so I do.

I am not much of an hardware guy (yet), but I have recently had the epiphany that your "average, cheap" stm32 board carries basically the kind of specs you dreamed in the 90's your 80's home computer would have had. (Particularly the ARM processor + the ability to program your own ROM system.) For a price that you'd normally spend on a bag of chemically flavoured crisps, I'm in!

So as predicted, Aliexpress is full of the Blue Pills, with their famous quirk. The other pills are rarer.

Amongst all that, RobotDyn sell a product of their own branding. Looks neat, and so does the price. But not much info on this particular board yet. Anyone knows more?

Here's the link: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 56794.html

Kind regards,
Pflipp

victor_pv

Re: Hi from a prospective stm32 owner

Post by victor_pv » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:49 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I believe there is a thread about that board, and is being called black pill.
Do a search to see if something shows up. I don't remember much, but believe a few people ordered it and had opinions about it.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:32 am

Several people on the forum have the BlackPill board

Its OK, but I don't know if it has the 32Khz crystal needed for low power operation.
I can only see the 8Mhz crystal on the board

pflipp

Post by pflipp » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:57 am

Hi guys, thanks for your quick responses.

It is not the black pill. You can notice especially from the lack of the bigger screw holes in the corner. Also the PCB has 'RobotDyn' printed on it.

edogaldo

Post by edogaldo » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 am

Looks like a "yet another STM32 pill variant" and seems well done (1.5K ohm USB pull up).
The 32kHz crystal is on the back.
RobotDyn support (from http://robotdyn.com) kindly provided me the schematics but the file is too big to be attached here..

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:13 pm

Aliexpress.com is littered with these under $2 boards. My last purchase was one of the 10 quantities.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... +STM32+ARM

I strongly recommend purchasing one of the known to work versions: blue, black, red ... adding yet another variant to the officially supported list of boards would have diminished returns unless there was some remarkable properties available in the knock-off board.

Ray

edogaldo

Post by edogaldo » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:33 pm

mrburnette wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:13 pm
Aliexpress.com is littered with these under $2 boards. My last purchase was one of the 10 quantities.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... +STM32+ARM

I strongly recommend purchasing one of the known to work versions: blue, black, red ... adding yet another variant to the officially supported list of boards would have diminished returns unless there was some remarkable properties available in the knock-off board.

Ray
Better than the blue pill:
- diode between USB Vbus and 5V
- correct USB pull (1.5K)
for the rest it seems the same.
ROBOTDYN-PILL.jpg
ROBOTDYN-PILL.jpg (191.95 KiB) Viewed 229 times

pflipp

Post by pflipp » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:26 pm

Really informative, all! Thanks.

Indeed the charm of this board is that it appears a solid make while 'probably' compatible with the mainstream. Now only to find the value of 'probably', but I assume @edogaldo has got this thing up and running already?

I really appreciate the schematics as well, saves me guessing.

I'm planning to put an order in tomorrow. So far this is still my favourite. Should it turn out to be a bad choice, pity me, that's a whole cheeseburger and a candy bar's worth of savings :D

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:35 pm

This is going to get very confusing..

Multiple boards which look physically very similar, but are not electrically the same.
e.g. I think the Black Pill has the LED on a different pin.

Never the less, this looks like an improved version of the BluePill. Its just a shame they didnt use a different pcb colour e.g. green etc

Rick Kimball

Post by Rick Kimball » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:41 pm

RogerClark wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:35 pm
Never the less, this looks like an improved version of the BluePill. Its just a shame they didnt use a different pcb colour e.g. green etc
Have you looked at their website? Black is their thing, all their boards are black.

http://www.robotdyn.com/ ... lots of black there.
-rick