Old timer catching up...

castortiu

Old timer catching up...

Post by castortiu » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:08 am

Hello,

I’m not very old but old enough to see in the sink my hair falling every month, I’m a programmer for the last 33 years, when I was a kid I had burnt many CIA 6526 on my old C64, dang… I used to cry every time burned one 6526 playing with the cartridge slot to turn devices and LEDs since after that I had to work cutting grass in the neighborhood for like 2 weeks to able to buy one again, I was 11 then ;)

Originally I’m from Argentina but long story short after 3 decades I find myself working for a multinational software company in Seattle, life is good however I miss my old love, I have a degree in electronics however electronic degrees won’t take you too far in Argentina, so instead I pursued Computer Science as a main career, at age of 18 I was making car alarms with my own hardware design using discrete logic, then I upgraded my designs to use PICs from microchips, there was my first interactions with micro-controllers in assembler, C compilers were incredible expensive and memory was a very limited resource so had to learn assembler :), did that for a couple years then I started to program computers professionally and the rest is story.

For the last 6 months I started with microcontrollers again, amazing how much it advanced and stay the same in very long time.
Started to play with Arduino AVR ATmega328 and did some gadgets, however now I’m trying to do some more heavy stuff and the 328 is falling short at 16Mhz, then found this amazing piece of work porting stm32 to Arduino.

A week ago I picked 1 STM32 from Amazon to get it in a day and ordered 6 more from ebay to play with overclocking and just in case burn them.

Currently I’m building back my office with instruments like oscilloscope, wave generators, power supply, logic analyzer, many components, smd equipment, CNC machine to manufacture my own PCB prototypes, etc.

Basically I’m building my hobby office and I hope get help from here and eventually help someone as well.

Please have some patience with this old timer, I may be making some stupid questions here and there until I catch up.

Cheers,
Cas

RogerClark

Re: Old timer catching up...

Post by RogerClark » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:53 am

Hi Cas

A lot if us cut started off using using computers like the C64 etc. for me it was the Sinclair Spectrum.

I am not sure what boards you ordered, but most STM32's are pretty robust. I have overclocked the F103C8 in the Blue Pill board to 120MHz with no side effectis at room temperature.

The only downside with overclockimg is that USB wont work, because of the lack of PLL divider settings.

castortiu

Post by castortiu » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:06 am

My friend had a Sinclair Spectrum, If I remember properly you didn't type works in the keyboard but combinations of keys to produce commands :)

So far I got all cheap blue pill to play with them.

I got my first one to be programmed with the USB after the R10 fix you published.

Today I received the other 6 blue pill plus the ST-LINK V2, I made the generic ST-LINK (no serial) to work and program the blue pill however lost the Serial which I need for debugging purposes, I tried to connect an FTDI to the TX/RX/GND/DTR and could not get the PC to get anything from the serial.

I would not mind to lose the USB as long I can get the Serial.

Is is possible to use a FTDI for debugging while use the ST-LINK V2 for programming? I connected the FTDI to pin 30, 31,33 is that correct?

Pito

Post by Pito » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:06 pm

For Serial1 you want 3 wires - PA9(Tx), PA10(Rx), and GND on the BPill. Connected to an FTDI dongle, Tx->Rx, Rx->Tx, Gnd-Gnd.
http://wiki.stm32duino.com/index.php?title=Blue_Pill

You may have Serial (the USB one), Serial1(FTDI1), Serial2(FTDI2) and ST_Link all connected. Flashing program via the ST_Link, and communicating via Serial, Serial1 and Serial2 (ie 3 terminals).

Code: Select all

Serial.begin(115200); // USB, the baudrate does not apply
Serial1.begin(115200); // Serial 1
Serial2.begin(115200); // Serial 2
Serial.println ("Hello USB");
Serial1.println ("Hello1");
Serial2.println ("Hello2");
PS: Mind all is 3.3V only..
Pukao Hats Cleaning Services Ltd.

castortiu

Post by castortiu » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:26 pm

Great!! Thanks!!

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:15 am

Welcome Cas,

Some of us are older than you, guess we are ancient-timers.

You will find the Blue Pill adequate for moving beyond Arduino AVR 16-bit. 32-bit at 72MHz with 20KB of SRAM will make an UNO feel like a 4-banger calculator from 1972.

The STM32 Arduino core has been overhauled and tweeked, I think you will find it suitable for many advanced Arduino'ish projects.

For myself, I was very active here a few years back and still login a few times a month to show my ass... duh... give my opinion. I have moved into a number of different directions: PSoC, ESP8266, ESP32, and RPi_Zero-W. I generally write on working projects here.

Ray