60 years and counting

68gt500

60 years and counting

Post by 68gt500 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:41 pm

Hi all,

I am Mike, a mechanical Engineer, but been working in the IT industry for the last 40 years.

As a hobby I begun looking into uC, and started out with Picaxe, later playing with Arduinos and now, here I am struggling with the STM32.

My real hobby are old cars, Mustangs & Falcons of the 60.

I have done some stuf with the Arduinous, mostly car related, gathering data (but nothing fancy like OBDII). But nice usable stuff like temps, pressures, GPS based clock, speedometer and so on.

Latest project is a Regularity Rally Meter with an accurate, and calibratable Odometer (down to the meter), user interface is a IR remote control, a Speed display and more. All output to one of those neat monochrome OLEDs. Not even dealt with the average speed and advance retard display and running out of space (my coding is very inefficient, i know) but already running out of performance.

Those "toro cheapo" STM32F103c8t6 looked so tempting, that I just had to try them out.

What a struggle, just to get the blinking LED...

So far been programming via USB to Serial converter, so far ok, after an initial fight, that I finally won - days later.

Haven´t tried yet to change the bootloader... might try that next.

Greetings

Mike

mrburnette

Re: 60 years and counting

Post by mrburnette » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi, Mike:
What a struggle, just to get the blinking LED...

So far been programming via USB to Serial converter, so far ok, after an initial fight, that I finally won - days later.
It's all about man over machine; you won. Good. LED blinked, good.

Back when the forum started years ago, a small group splintered from Arduino.cc and started playing with the Chinese Maple Mini clones. At that time, we had a statement telling all new comers to buy at least one Maple Mini clone, and we level-set expectations and Community support around that common product. When some du jour flavor of a board was giving problems, the software could be moved onto the Maple Mini for a sanity check... we all had the same hardware so support was fairly straight forward.

Lots has changed in a few years, I am not sure the Baite Maple Mini is even available from AliExpress. We have Red pills, Blue pills, & Black pills ... freaking rainbow of STM32F1XX boards! The forum has grown many times the original size and the concept of a single common hardware product is just a memory for we oldtimers... life was simple then.

You have done the PICAXE and Arduinos, so you have a good basis for moving into the STM32DUINO world. A good number of members to not even use the bootloader - I would recommend not changing things out but to spend your time and effort on more fruitful quests. Messing around with bootloader can make one crazy and even highly antisocial. Just keep using your working procedure of USB to serial.

Otherwise, just make certain you select the appropriate board type to match your board... the IDE and core files should just work. If your upload does not work on first try, reset and try again.

For extending the Arduino paradigm onto a more capable 32 bit uC, the STM32F1 is fundamentally a good migration. Later, the STM32F4XX may be your next move. Or, the ESP32 if you use Bluetooth BLE and WiFi. Or a $5 Raspberry Pi Zero if you want to jump into Linux. I am always jumping around as I bore easily: many of my projects here.

Good luck,

Ray

Update: yes, available in single or 5x packs ($3.50 ea)
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 84783.html

68gt500

Post by 68gt500 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:14 pm

Thanks for the welcome Ray!

i should have specified, yes its a "blue pill" that I am working/struggling with.

So far it does blink and display the Adafruit demo on the SSD1306, but thats about it.

The most difficult part - at least for me - is understanding what info, tricks, libraries and approaches work for the AVR, the STM and ...

Maybe you have a hint ;)

These are the main points on my agenda:
I sure would like to get my display running with u8g2, I need "better fonts" than the scalable one included.

library/code to:
- count the impulses without loosing a single one - to get accurate distances
- get the frequency from the signal - but with much higher tolerance to display a speed.

Looking at your projects, I really like that barometer - will probably build one like it. Adding an cheap IR remote to enter the precise pressure would be a nice add on.

Greetings from Germany

Mike

stevestrong

Post by stevestrong » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:13 pm

Hallo Mike, willkommen! ;)

Please post separately each of your topics in an appropriate forum section.

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:34 pm

Maybe you have a hint ;)

Yes, STM32duino.com is fully indexed by Google, so you can distill an inquiry by using Google's "site:"

Example:

Code: Select all

u8g2 site:stm32duino.com