Hello from South Carolina

henson

Hello from South Carolina

Post by henson » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:15 pm

Hello everyone from South Carolina,

I’ve been abusing Arduino boards for around 5 years now. Lately, I have been learning to program AVR chips directly and I have a growing interest in 32 bit chips.

I think one of the great things about Arduino is that you can start learning how to manipulate the registers without having to give up all the great support/libraries that already exist. I would like to do something similar with the STM boards as well.

Thanks to this community, I’m already up and running with a “black” pill and I hope to get some Nucleo boards soon.

Thanks,

Brad Henson
www.bradhenson.com

RogerClark

Re: Hello from South Carolina

Post by RogerClark » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi Brad

I don’t think you will have any problems using STM32 boards if you are used to programming directly to the registers on the AVR.

But the STM32 is several levels of complexity above the AVR, e.g. there are 2 x 32 bit control registers for each GPIO port, just to set the pin mode, as it needs 4 bits per pin and there are 16 GPIOs per port.
And the STM32 has DMA which can send or receive from virtually any of its peripherals, GPIO, SPI , Serial etc

So there is plenty for you to play around with.

You should probably look at the programming manual for the F103, which can be downloaded from STMs site, and runs to several thousand pages.