Hello from UK

ahull

Re: Hello from UK

Post by ahull » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:40 am

RogerClark wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:20 am
Andy,

You're possible closer to me than you are to the UK, but it depends where in India you are
I'm not quite at the half way mark... Dehradun to Melbourne 10254km, Dehradun to Edinburgh, Scotland 67391km - however, strangely it appears to be cheaper to fly to Melbourne from here..
- Andy Hull -

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Airline pricing models are hard to fathom..

Its possible that landing fees etc are cheaper here than the UK, though I doubt that would make a big difference

Airspace would be a lot less congested here, so perhaps that saves fuel.

ahull

Post by ahull » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:58 pm

I suspect "supply and demand" plays the major role here, less demand in Australia, more "encouraging" prices. :P

Supply and demand is one of those meaningless terms that can be flip flopped to explain everything in the field of economics. Low demand either means low prices to encourage consumption or high prices because of lack of competition, high demand equals low prices due to "economies of scale" or high prices due to lack of supply.... ask two economists for their opinion on any given subject and you will probably get four answers. :lol:

Two economists were sitting at a nudist colony. The one said, "Have you read Marx?" The other says, "It's these wicker chairs."

.. or... if you don't like that one..

Three leading economists took a small plane to the wilderness in northern Canada to hunt moose over the weekend. The last thing the pilot said was, “Remember, this is a very small plane and you will only be able to bring ONE moose back.” But of course, they killed one each and come Sunday, they talked the pilot into letting them bring all three dead moose onboard. So just after takeoff, the plane stalled and crashed. In the wreckage, one of the economists woke up, looked around and said, “Where the hell are we.” The other economist replied “Oh, just about a hundred yards east of the place there we crashed last year.”

(ahull gets reprimanded for straying miles off topic).
- Andy Hull -

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:20 pm

you've talked to the wildlife conservationist, haven't you ?

at that rate, moose are likely to become an endangered species!

srp

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:41 pm

Andy

Normally the problem with pricing over here is economy of scale.
The very small domestic market, here causes prices on physical consumables to be higher.

This in turn leads prices on non physical items, e.g. digital downloads, to be higher as companies calculate their digital prices based on physical prices, and generally get away with it.

This is known locally as the Australia Tax, and applies to most if not all multinationals selling in Australia, e.g. Apple, Microsoft, the film and music industry etc etc.

Amazon just launched over here a few weeks ago (as the last 5 years amazon only sold books in Australia), but their prices are not at all competitive.

Local retailers share prices had been taking a beating in the lead uo to the expected Amazon launch, but rallied nearly 10% when it became clear that Amazon, have decided to opt for the Apple style pricing model over here. i.e don't price items at US price * currency_conversion_factor, charge 1.5 times as much as in the US

consequently, I dont know anyone who had bought anything from Amazon in the lead up to Christmas, and I suspect their sales figures will not be as rosy as they had exoected

ahull

Post by ahull » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:11 am

The "dollar for pound" tax has existed for years, if you look at a typical tech item on ebay.co.uk and compare with ebay.com you find that if it costs $100 in the US, it will cost £100 in the UK. This situation has existed for years.

My techniques if buying cheap stuff from China on ebay is to find it on the US site, check on the UK site to ensure I can't get it any cheaper there, and assuming I can't, change the ebay.com/blah url to ebay.co.uk/blah, make sure they ship to the UK, and purchase at the lower price. You can save up to 50% sometimes this way.

For example a Tronxy X1 printer (well probably a clone, shipped slow boat from the far east) comes in at around $150 on the US site, on the UK site the cheapest I could find was £147 - with the dollar sitting at $1 USD = £0.75 that is an instant saving of around 25% ... I haven't bought one yet though... still swithering...
- Andy Hull -

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:49 am

Ah yes, the emerald isle effect in action :evil:
-------------------------------------
https://github.com/BennehBoy

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:07 am

Andy

Thanks for the tip about the US eBay site

zoomx

Post by zoomx » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:52 am

ahull wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:11 am
change the ebay.com/blah url to ebay.co.uk/blah,
You can also find the ebay item number (top right corner in the description tab) and insert it into the search bar.

ahull

Post by ahull » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:59 am

zoomx wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:52 am
ahull wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:11 am
change the ebay.com/blah url to ebay.co.uk/blah,
You can also find the ebay item number (top right corner in the description tab) and insert it into the search bar.
That also works... most of the time. Not sure if the ebay search is at fault, but I find the url trick more reliable. Sometimes the search produces no results.
- Andy Hull -