misfet: Greetings from overly sunny brisbane.

misfet

misfet: Greetings from overly sunny brisbane.

Post by misfet » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:11 am

I started with micros with a senix sx - 8 bit risc and assembly. There I learn the value of a good debug platform. I did build a hot water controller with a propeller, but the propeller was not for me.

The STM/arduino combo appears as a versatile mix. Cheap enough to use for anything, and powerful enough to use for anything - sans os. This has a lot of appeal, in both learning and (hardware) design can take on a template style where I can mix and match what I have working.

So so far I have been getting a few of the examples going with a baite maple mini. Chosen as the path of least resistance. It has been slow going, but coming to grips with the arduino side has probably been most of the battle. The stm porting has been working for me so far, thank you very much.

I have shunned arduinio for many years. I could not get my head around why someone would relabel the software a sketch. And I can't bring myself to say it out loud. I refuse. But taking on the idea, I now call the steering wheel in my car “the directional option selector” So I am making an effort to get on board.

My first project is a re-flow controller. The aim being to make this the last board I ever etch and drill. After that there can be a verity of nick knacks in miniature. Maybe some data logging for my bike.

Today I ordered a couple of F103 boards from WAVGAT. They claim to sell a lot, so I guess some people from this forum have used them. They look like a maple mini clone but the board/stm pinouts are a bit different. So I am not sure of the correct reference, maybe maple mini clonesque. Anyhow, they have on board a 32.768 khz crystal, and I wanted that very much. However they come with an ominous warning “does not support the download.”

Maybe soon I will know what this is.

tim

mrburnette

Re: Greetings from overly sunny brisbane.

Post by mrburnette » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:50 pm

misfet wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:11 am
<...>
Today I ordered a couple of F103 boards from WAVGAT. They claim to sell a lot, so I guess some people from this forum have used them. They look like a maple mini clone but the board/stm pinouts are a bit different. So I am not sure of the correct reference, maybe maple mini clonesque. Anyhow, they have on board a 32.768 khz crystal, and I wanted that very much. However they come with an ominous warning “does not support the download.”

Maybe soon I will know what this is.

tim
Tim,

This one?
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 08361.html
If so, we call that the Blue Board and it is well documented.
or
This one?
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 58029.html
If do, that is called the Black Board and some info exists.

You may find info here useful:
http://stm32duino.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3073#p39605

Welcome.

Ray

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:15 am

@Ray
as usual blue sky, but why haven't you got a page or wiki with all that you've posted / guided with ?

srp

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:39 am

zmemw16 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:15 am
@Ray
as usual blue sky, but why haven't you got a page or wiki with all that you've posted / guided with ?

srp
Old ... Lazy... Old & Lazy.
Seriously, I find that newbies in any forum appreciate a bit more words on their behalf other than "read this link."

Ray

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:06 am

breadcrumbs and sneak in a link to everything :?:

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:11 am

zmemw16 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:06 am
breadcrumbs and sneak in a link to everything :?:
I'm so obvious...

misfet

Post by misfet » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:24 am

Thanks Ray,

yeah, I'll take a welcome whatever way it comes. Blue board it is. I'm advancing already.

I did actually already read your link from your similar other welcomes. The choices of what to read exactly are large.

tim

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:18 pm

My first project is a re-flow controller.
Tim,

I seem to remember Roger Clark working on something similar. I do remember he was no having any joy with his Chinese oven, however. I did a quick site search and did not find it, so maybe I'm having a brain-fart. May be worth sending Roger a PM... it could be a couple of day before he gets back to ya, it's summer in Australia and Roger is doing home maintenance in addition to his other pursuits, such as earning a living and paying for his toys.

Ray

UPDATE:
Found it: viewtopic.php?t=930

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:40 pm

i'll say google 'andy brown stm32 reflow' as it puts the results in a nice list :D
IMHO really well worth browsing from top as there is truly a lot there

somewhere recently on this site i saw a halogen oven based reflow system, there is one out there, note some overcooking was mentioned, also look to apply tin foil against glass heat loss. so get the add-on collar & other bits, usually it's an add-on kit.

i'll be trying it later on as a reflow oven when i free it from it's food duties.
still some work required - semi-tanned but soft chips and slightly soggy crispy in bits cod fishfingers, the feline got two thirds of those after insisting i remove the batter.
you play with her batting paws and fingers seemingly with success, try putting flea treatment on her neck hands off, she was 3ft away and heading for cover before full dose was squirted, hands on i'd suggest a strangle hold.
she'll come back honest (chicken)
stephen not a bot

misfet

Post by misfet » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:12 am

Thanks stephen not a bot, I can get some coding tips maybe. I used to have a cat. She was a unit. There was a halogen was on hackaday. Make a great portable unit I am thinking. Also a lady removing parts using a car headlamp. Looked fast and effective.

Ray, sparkfun have an interesting read on re flow. Their (and many others) preferred device is an electric skillet. I find this astounding as I have never seen one that can heat anywhere close to evenly.

In my shed I have an old glass top stove top I was going to use. Some of the elements still heat to max. The controller includes a zero crossing detector so I am thinking I can get smooth single cycle resolution. Of course this will switch a stove top element or a lamp.

tim