youprint: Thank you so much for this amazing bootloader !

youprint

youprint: Thank you so much for this amazing bootloader !

Post by youprint » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:52 pm

Hi everybody
I'm coding in python since 7 years. Last year i discovered the amazing world of 3d printing, so i decided to learn C with Arduino 2560. I decided to move to 32bits and a I bought a Open103Z for 20 Eur on Aliexpress and i installed the STM32duino bootloader without pb. now i'm trying some exemple files and that's amazing
Thank you !!!
Hope to see you soon

ahull

Re: Thank you so much for this amazing bootloader !

Post by ahull » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:13 pm

Welcome to the forum youprint
The Open103Z looks like an interesting STM32F103ZET6 board -> https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/Open103Z
Keep us posted with your experience of it. :D
- Andy Hull -

youprint

Post by youprint » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:35 pm

i ordered a ST link V2 but i'm still waiting for it. So i was impatient and a friend gave me a chinese copy of a SeggerJ-link V8 and i flashed the STM32duino Boootloader generic_boot20_pc13.bin and it seems to match. J Flash is really simple to use. I uploaded a blank sketch and it worked the device was reconized.

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:43 pm

youprint wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:52 pm
<...>
I'm coding in python since 7 years. <...>
Ah, Python :D

When you have some free time and the 64K of SRAM on your new board gets cramped, take a look into the world of microPython on the ESP32:
https://www.zerynth.com/blog/python-on- ... g-started/

240 MHz Dual core, integrated FreeRTOS, 520K SRAM ... etc. So wear your seatbelt, the ride is fast.
You can even do your own webserver in microPython: https://techtutorialsx.com/2017/09/01/e ... h-picoweb/

Boards under $5 U.S.D.

Can be programmed in ArduinoIDE

The board is a bit power hungry if you run the core at 240MHz with Bluetooth and WiFi N all on ... something like 650mA up. And you need a really, really well filtered power supply ... no cheap wall wart. The rPi power units rated at 2A max seem to do a very nice job on the ESP32.

Ray

PS: I have said this in several posts, but I will say it again here ... boards like the $5 rPi_Zero and the ESP32 have radically changed the way I approach microcontrollers... the rPi is essentially a microcomputer running Linux with something like 320 MB of RAM unused after all of the services (including X) are loaded. The rPi Zero can be run headless, too, and just use SSH to control it.
The ESP32 is absolutely my favorite fun chip/board. Priced pennies under the rPi_Zero, the ESP32 has a decent Arduino core and when used in this manner, FreeRTOS is automatically incorporated.

So, why still use the STM32F103xx ... well, real-time processing is why. I have evolved my view of my Maple Mini's much the same way as I have evolved my view of the 16MHz AVR mini boards... programmable interfaces. I no longer try and fit an entire system into a single AVR or STM32 microcontroller; rather, I view these single boards as performing fast utility functions such as a graphic display interface or an A/D, or analog with FFT.

Output signals from various interfaces can easily be aggregated into an ESP32 and hosted via a web interface. Or an rPi with a nice 7" touchscreen. A robotics friend of mine is taking this concept to a new level with SOM robotics ... he is out in the desert somewhere thinking up new ideas ... I'm told that this get-away-and-think mentality is popular with retired, old academics. :lol:

youprint

Post by youprint » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:24 am

You are totally right, these stm32 chips are really good for real time embedded applications. I dream to see one day my favorite Linux embedded application running on a STM32 chip. I love python because it was my first language (i’m Not a professional dev) and it was really simple to learn. I know that micropython is running on the chip with FreeRTOS or Nuttx, I could be interesting to try but the real reason that I’m studying STM32 chip is to learn a new language: C.
I’m coming from the pi whitch is a really good tool to start programming, I was thinking switching directly to the Arduino to learn C but I discovered the stm32 world just before....

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:01 am

youprint wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:24 am
You are totally right, these stm32 chips are really good for real time embedded applications. I dream to see one day my favorite Linux embedded application running on a STM32 chip. I love python because it was my first language (i’m Not a professional dev) and it was really simple to learn. I know that micropython is running on the chip with FreeRTOS or Nuttx, I could be interesting to try but the real reason that I’m studying STM32 chip is to learn a new language: C.
I’m coming from the pi whitch is a really good tool to start programming, I was thinking switching directly to the Arduino to learn C but I discovered the stm32 world just before....
I found the RPi to be a little annoying with C++. I was easily able to write code, but getting the environment primed was annoying. I discuss my experience here: https://www.hackster.io/rayburne/the-10 ... ed-c1dbde

Ray

youprint

Post by youprint » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:26 am

Very good article, i need to read all your publications, everything seems to be very very interesting. I m using the raspberry pi since the beginning and the first realease and it s a really good tool to start programming in general. Python is a really good way to go and I recommend it to every kid who wants to begin.
C is really not easy and compiling is really boring when you start, and you are right it’s maybe easier to start in a good environment and the raspberry one is very good and affordable.
I spent a lot of time on the beaglebone black too because this board have some qualities too. It have a PRU at 200mhz working in real time. I used it with machinekit whitch is an Arm port of LinuxCNC. But I let down this platform due to poor graphics performance.
I’m using LinuxCNC since 2010 (EMC2 was the name before) because my real interest is machine driving in real time.
I tried machinekit (linuxcnc arm port) on the raspberry pi it run really good but io can’t produce enough fast stepgen to drive motors like the bbb do (helped by his 200mhz pru)
I was thinking adding a small fpga to the raspberry with an spi communication to generate the fast io. Maybe it could work with a stm32, spi in slave mode generating steps for the raspberry.