User contributed FAQ's

ddrown

User contributed FAQ's

Post by ddrown » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:48 am

Q: How do I get Started?
  1. install the stm32duino support package with Arduino 1.6.5 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TePglhSkghg + https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/Arduino_STM32
  2. figure out how to upload code to your board
    1. Serial - requires a TTL (3.3V) serial adapter - viewtopic.php?f=36&p=295
    2. ST-Link - requires a ST-Link adapter - hook up the SWD lines: GND, Clock (labeled DCLK or SWCLK), and Data (labeled DIO or SWDIO) between your ST-Link and board
    3. STM32duino bootloader - requires you flash your target board with the bootloader first
    4. BMP (Black Magic Probe) - requires a device dedicated to being a Black Magic Probe. Hook up the SWD lines like the ST-Link and optionally the UART for debugging
  3. set the Board and Variant for your target under the Tools menu
  4. set the upload method in the Arduino IDE under Tools > Upload method
  5. set the com port for the Serial or STM32duino methods (it's optional for the BMP method)
Q: Which upload methods have USB serial?

For the STM32F1 boards, SERIAL_USB is defined for the STM32duino and ST-Link methods. This means the "Serial" object is the virtual UART on the USB port, and UART1 is "Serial1" and so on. For the other upload methods, "Serial" is UART1 and "Serial1" is UART2 and so on.

For the STM32F4 boards, "SerialUSB" is the virtual UART on the USB port and "Serial" is UART1 and so on.

jaromir

User contributed FAQ's

Post by jaromir » Tue May 03, 2016 9:18 pm

I have this suggestion for FAQ - it can happen, it happened more than once and if it happens, solution is not very obvious.

Q: I ran the install_drivers.bat file, but Maple board doesn't create virtual serial port and has yellow exclamation mark in device manager.
A: Connect your board, run the Zadig http://zadig.akeo.ie/downloads/zadig_2.2.exe tool - select Maple in hardware dropdown menu, choose USB CDC driver, install.

I also suggest to delete all other messages except of the first one, containing actual FAQ - to improve signal to noise ratio.

zmemw16

Re: FAQ's and links

Post by zmemw16 » Tue May 03, 2016 9:50 pm

Main programming reference manual for the STM32F103 series link is a Not Found
using the search on that page with CD00171190 does find it and i tried, but i can't see how to capture the link.
and its still RM0008.

stephen

mrburnette

Re: FAQ's and links

Post by mrburnette » Tue May 03, 2016 11:25 pm

RogerClark wrote:Perhaps the first Q/A needs to be minimum skill level to have a realistic chance of using an STM32

@Roger, et al.

This has come up time and time again and I'm going to repeat myself again: This forum is not setup for newbies as the Arduino.cc forum is configured. We have no dedicated Forum Monitors and no Super cop other than Roger who is already fairly busy earning a living.

I strongly suggest keeping Q/A at a level that is reasonable for advanced computing with uC's since baby-talk just cannot articulate techno-babble adequately; which is to say that flash means flash... one can hypertext to a reference for STM or to Wikipedia, for example. All ofthe platform favors have discriptive post, just not all in one place.

A knowledgable Arduino 8-bit user should be able to get into the swing of things here with a little effort on their part. The site is fully indexed in Google. The new member should be encouraged to have a start with the Maple Mini as this is the baseline device.

The ability to buy into 32-bit computing and the Arduino IDE for the price of a hamburger is disruptive economics! Let us take care that we do not allow this economics to completely disrupt the forum. Newbies without electronics or computing background are best served by 8-bit devices and the Arduino.cc forums. Learned Arduino users can easily migrate here with a bit of self-study when they hit head-room or performance issues in the 8-bit world: to those, a big welcome is extended.

I feel helpful most times, but I have no intentions to tutor a newbie starting at knowledge level zero.

Ray

blackt1ger

Re: FAQ's and links - Please read if you are new

Post by blackt1ger » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:54 pm

There was a message post about the steps needed to bring a new board variant up. And now, for the life of me, I can't find it. Could it please be posted in the FAQ's and links?
----
okay finally found it - https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... -new-board