IDE *very* slow under Windows 10

Windows XP,Vista,7,8 and 8.1 etc
mrburnette

Re: IDE *very* slow under Windows 10

Post by mrburnette » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:08 pm

I think the bottom-line is that Windows (any flavor) is not your speed-demon (daemon :lol: ) OS. You can throw CPU and RAM at it, reduce I/O latency to the harddisk/SSD but if you run older hardware for your hobby then you have what you have.

I have no doubt that moving from Win? to Linux will speed up the overall system by having a more nimble OS. I've proved that to myself time and time again since I had a major hissy-fit with Microsoft's BS late last year. Anyone at Microsoft that really cared about the OS technology is gone ... it is now all about the marketing, lawyers, and shareholder demands for earnings that are running the company based on bottom-line ... just like their counterparts in Apple.

IMO, Redmond would be a great place to stick the hose in to give technology companies an enema - perhaps that would clear their brains and reboot some creativity and sense of purpose.

Ray

zoomx

Post by zoomx » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:08 pm

In the italia section of Arduino forum I read that IDE 1.6.7 doesn't recompile all things after small changes, 1.6.8 recompile all thing due a bug and then in 1.6.9 this bug was fixed.

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:48 pm

zoomx wrote:In the italia section of Arduino forum I read that IDE 1.6.7 doesn't recompile all things after small changes, 1.6.8 recompile all thing due a bug and then in 1.6.9 this bug was fixed.

Ah, ha! I just love dot-notation version numbering since one can always fix stuff and rebrand it anew. :P

Ray

Phono

Post by Phono » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:30 pm

Ok, I have read the information following mburnette's link above.
I have set the minimal cpu performance that was 5% by default to 40%, and apparently the compilation is now faster.
Another difference between W7 and W10 is that under 7 the compilation is silent, whereas under 10 the bottom window shows the command lines for every source file to compile. Why?

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:19 pm

your preferences are set differently?
srp

ahull

Post by ahull » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:56 am

mrburnette wrote:I think the bottom-line is...
IMO, Redmond would be a great place to stick the hose in to give technology companies an enema - perhaps that would clear their brains and reboot some creativity and sense of purpose.

Ray
Thanks... I was having my lunch when I read that.. the image of compulsory corporate enemas at Redmond and Cupertino nearly put me off my chocolate mousse. :twisted:
- Andy Hull -

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:10 pm

ahull wrote:<...>
Thanks...
<...>
Sincere regrets. ;)
Sometimes the truth is just "raw".

Ray

Phono

Post by Phono » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:35 pm

@zmemw16 : you were right, the verbose option was checked. However, I have installed the IDE on two machines (one under 7 the other under 10) without changing the default options, and the verbose option was checked under 10 and unchecked under 7 !

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:49 pm

Phono wrote:@zmemw16 : you were right, the verbose option was checked. However, I have installed the IDE on two machines (one under 7 the other under 10) without changing the default options, and the verbose option was checked under 10 and unchecked under 7 !
If a prior version was installed, the install will pick-up old settings, even if uninstalled because the uninstall log does not delete user options (usually does not.)

Ray

visual_micro

Post by visual_micro » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:09 pm

Signal32 wrote:
RogerClark wrote:That implies that its not GCC that is slow but the IDE is slow to call gcc
Actually VisualMicro does some funky things about how it compiles the code( totally different than the Arduino IDE). From what I've seen it builds what it thinks won't change into libraries then it only builds the sketch file that you change into an object and does the linking. Sketch compiling is very fast, same with linking.
Because of this different approach to compiling I've hit some issues that made the binary unable to run so I had to do combinations of restart the IDE / clean / rebuild to get it to work. So it's not foolproof.
Might be useful to know that Visual Micro allows you to control the way the compiler cache works.

If you would like more info or to request new features then feel free to create a thread in the forum at www.visualmicro.com/forums.

Having said that I wouldn't expect you to hit caching issues and would like to hear more detail in the forum if possible.

If you are a library or core editor and have toggled the "hidden" source codes into the current project? Again the compiler should be intelligent and handle changes correctly even if it means a full recompile. If not I would appreciate knowing about it.

Thanks