IDE *very* slow under Windows 10

Windows XP,Vista,7,8 and 8.1 etc
Phono

IDE *very* slow under Windows 10

Post by Phono » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:35 pm

Hi,
I have noticed that the IDE (based on Arduino 1.6.9) is very slow to compile a sketch. As an example, a sketch that takes 30 seconds under Windows 7 takes more than 3 minutes under Windows 10.
I have been faced to the same problem using the Maple Leaflabs IDE 0.0.12. I hoped that this was due to the fact that the Maple IDE was obsolete, so I do not understand why it is the same with the current Arduino IDE.
Any one facing the same problem?

mrburnette

Re: IDE *very* slow under Windows 10

Post by mrburnette » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:52 am

Perhaps:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2025 ... t-on-linux

But, from an ex-MCSE, go to Linux ... try Mint.

Ray

Vassilis

Post by Vassilis » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:21 pm

On my windows 10 and Arduino 1.6.9 set to maple mini, the blink sketch takes ~22 seconds to be compiled.
If I change the pin number to the sketch and re-compile it, it takes ~6 seconds.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:08 pm

LOL

This is very off topic..

Have you tried compiling the same sketch for the Due, on both W7 and W10.

I very much doubt this is an issue with the core, except that we have a lot of files in the core, and lots if include paths, unlike the official Arduino products, some of which, I think have partially precompiled cores.

I have noticed that Windows 7 is significantly slower at compiling than Linux, but I have no idea why this is. Perhaps the linux FS is faster than NTFS.

Personally, I do not run W10 on any of my machines, as it runs worse than W7, and so far I have still be able to install W7 on all my latest hardware, including laptops with touch screens and new workstations running the Skylake chipset. (albeit, I had to slipstream USB 3 drivers onto the W7 installation files, as I don't think there is an official W7 installation package that includes this)

Overall, this is probably something you need to report to the Arduino.cc forum or the github account for Arduino.cc

Signal32

Post by Signal32 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:51 pm

Somewhat off topic:
If you're looking for fastest builds: using Visual Studio + free version of Visual Micro -- incremental builds ( minor change in one file ) are almost instant(less than 1 second).
I've had some issues with STM32 builds under VS but I'dd rather use VS than have to deal with the Arduino slow builds.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:06 am

@signal32

Interesting.

That implies that its not GCC that is slow but the IDE is slow to call gcc

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:13 am

RogerClark wrote:@signal32

Interesting.

That implies that its not GCC that is slow but the IDE is slow to call gcc
I believe the current IDE rebuilds everything as I recall, not just "changes". I remember bob_c playing with compiler/linker switches early on but I forget the specifics of the current state.

Ray

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:45 am

Ray

There is some caching of files, but not all core files are cached during the first build

From what I recall, we can't cache too much, because of the way the interrupts are overloaded using weak references.

i.e if we put more files into the "archive" things like the hardware timer interrupts don't work.
There didnt seem to be an easy way to fix this, i.e we'd need to rewrite major sections of the core to do it another way.

Signal32

Post by Signal32 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:17 am

RogerClark wrote:That implies that its not GCC that is slow but the IDE is slow to call gcc
Actually VisualMicro does some funky things about how it compiles the code( totally different than the Arduino IDE). From what I've seen it builds what it thinks won't change into libraries then it only builds the sketch file that you change into an object and does the linking. Sketch compiling is very fast, same with linking.
Because of this different approach to compiling I've hit some issues that made the binary unable to run so I had to do combinations of restart the IDE / clean / rebuild to get it to work. So it's not foolproof.

stevech

Post by stevech » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:54 am

Signal32 wrote:
RogerClark wrote:That implies that its not GCC that is slow but the IDE is slow to call gcc
Actually VisualMicro does some funky things about how it compiles the code( totally different than the Arduino IDE). From what I've seen it builds what it thinks won't change into libraries then it only builds the sketch file that you change into an object and does the linking. Sketch compiling is very fast, same with linking.
Because of this different approach to compiling I've hit some issues that made the binary unable to run so I had to do combinations of restart the IDE / clean / rebuild to get it to work. So it's not foolproof.
I haven't encountered such with Visual Micro. Nor a slow IDE in Win 7 or Win 10. MCU is quad core i5 with SSD as boot disk.
On my 5 yr. old Dell latop, win 10, 128GB SSD, it is slower due to the CPU, but not objectionably so. But I rarely use the laptop for builds.