Windows installation/configuration problem

Windows XP,Vista,7,8 and 8.1 etc
RogerL

Windows installation/configuration problem

Post by RogerL » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:36 pm

I am just returning to Arduino for STM 32 after 6 months off playing with AVR stuff. I used to have a working STM32 installation with Arduino 1.6.5 but today I discovered that the STM32 boards had disappeared from my hardware list, although everything else about the installation seemed to be OK. The STM32 files were still in My Documents/Arduino/hardware, but the Arduino IDE wasn't seeing them. Seeing that 1.6.9 is now the recommended IDE version, I decided to start again rather than mess about with 1.6.5. I downloaded and installed 1.6.9 and tried it out with a Nano board and all was OK. I installed the Arduino Zero files in Boards Manager. I then loaded the current Arduino STM32 files and restarted my Arduino IDE. Unfortunately, still no STM32 boards in the list.

I checked preferences.txt hoping to find a path to my hardware folder, but couldn't find anything. Is there any way I can check where my IDE might be looking for additional hardware?

I am running Windows 7.
My Arduino IDE is installed in d:\Program Files (x86) as I don't have space on my c: drive.

martinayotte

Re: Windows installation/configuration problem

Post by martinayotte » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:34 pm

RogerL wrote:My Arduino IDE is installed in d:\Program Files (x86)
I'm aware that some people got issues with spaces in path.
You should try to install it in path such D:\Arduino169 to see if it fix the issue.

Pito

Post by Pito » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:38 pm

I have placed /hardware folder into my sketch folder and it works fine..
Pukao Hats Cleaning Services Ltd.

RogerL

Post by RogerL » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:51 pm

Thanks for your comments guys, but it looks like I have a fix.

I renamed my preferences.txt file to preferences_old.txt and then fired up my IDE. The IDE then found the STM32 files and loaded them to the hardware list. It also created a new preferences.txt file with default settings.

So, it looks like my old preferences.txt file was somehow causing the problem. I just have to manually update my preferences file and I should be OK.

RogerL

Post by RogerL » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:18 pm

Well, I reset my preferences and promptly lost my STM32 boards again. Now I know what the REAL problem is. I had forgotten that the hardware folder needs to be in the sketch folder. I blindly followed the installation instructions to put the STM32 files into the My Documents/Arduino/hardware folder without realising that this assumes its the default sketch folder. I changed my default sketch folder a few months back, which must have been when I lost the STM32 hardware without realising it. I have now put the hardware folder in my actual default sketch folder and everything is OK.

So, it might be worth tweaking the wording in the Github instructions to allow for alternative sketch folder locations.