Installation on Windows

Windows XP,Vista,7,8 and 8.1 etc
RogerClark

Installation on Windows

Post by RogerClark » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:57 am

Installation on Windows is virtually the same as all other platforms apart from the driver installation.

I made a tutorial video which shows how to install on Arduino IDE 1.5.8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zwGnytGT8M
and a followup tutorial that shows the additional steps required for IDE 1.6.3 or newer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TePglhSkghg

Note at the time of writing 1.6.3 is the latest version, and I know that there are plans to change how additional boards are added. So I will update this post when any new methods are added to the IDE.

Installation is also documented in the GitHub wiki https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... stallation

But for completeness here are the instructions

• Download and install the latest stable version of the Arduino IDE from here
  • Run the IDE and on the Tools menu, select the Boards manager, and install the Arduino Due from the list of available boards.
  • Download zip file containing the STM32 files from here https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... master.zip
  • Unzip to create the Arduino_STM32 folder
  • Copy the Arduino_STM32 folder to My Documents/Arduino/hardware (note. if the hardware folder doesn't exist you will need to create it)
  • If using Maple or Maple mini you need to install the windows drivers. By running the install_drivers.bat file in the \hardware\Arduino_STM32\drivers\win folder (which you just copied), This runs dwi-simple.exe twice, once to install the usb serial device and once to install the DFU device.
  • Restart Arduino IDE, and select the appropriate board from the Tools -> Board menu, and select the appropriate Com port.

Fid3lity

Re: Installation on Windows

Post by Fid3lity » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:42 pm

And what if the Maple Mini doesn't show up with a COM port, only as a DFU in Device Manager under Windows 8.1 x64? I got the rest all set up and seemingly working on Arduino IDE 1.6.4, just the COM port I need.

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:25 pm

Fid3lity wrote:And what if the Maple Mini doesn't show up with a COM port, only as a DFU in Device Manager under Windows 8.1 x64? I got the rest all set up and seemingly working on Arduino IDE 1.6.4, just the COM port I need.
Do you see an unknown USB device? if so, looks like you may just need the drivers.
If you dont see the device at all in dev manager, now that is strange as you are getting the DFU.
Did you install any sketch to the Maple Mini yet? If you did not, then it is normal, the bootloader will stay in DFU mode if there is no sketch to run in the right place of the flash.
Once you load a sketch and reboot, you should see the Maple Serial (may need to install the drivers at that point if it shows as unknown).

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:57 am

@Fid3lity

Just to add a little to what Victor has written.

The bootloader will show up as "Maple DFU" on USB (assuming you have the Windows driver installed). The bootloader only has this USB Device, it doesnt have the Serial device.

After a sketch is uploaded, the blootloader unloads its self and removes the Maple DFU USB device, and the Sketch contains the code that handles the Serial device.

I don't think this is the problem in you case, but if your sketch crashes, you will not have the Maple Serial USB device, (because that code is part of the sketch upload).

PS. Yes, I know ideally the Maple Serial device would be part of the bootloader, but this causes problems on some systems, hence leaflabs chose to separate the two functions and only have DFU in the bootloader and only have Serial in the Sketch

jeremyvnc

Post by jeremyvnc » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:08 pm

I'm trying to get this to work for Arduino 1.6.5, latest STM32duino libraries for my STM32F4Discovery board. I'm having all sorts of trouble getting even an empty sketch to compile throws errors:

Code: Select all

Arduino: 1.6.5 (Windows 8.1), Board: "STM32 Discovery F407"

Build options changed, rebuilding all

C:\Users\Jeremy\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\4.8.3-2014q1/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -g -Os -w -MMD -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -DBOARD_discovery_f407 -DVECT_TAB_BASE -DERROR_LED_PORT=GPIOD -DERROR_LED_PIN=14 -mcpu=cortex-m4 -DF_CPU=168000000L -DARDUINO=10605 -DARDUINO_STM32F4_DISCOVERY_F407 -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32F4 -DMCU_STM32F406VG -mthumb -DSTM32_HIGH_DENSITY -DSTM32F2 -DSTM32F4 -DBOARD_discovery_f4 -IC:\Users\Jeremy\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\STM32F4\cores\maple/libmaple -IC:\Users\Jeremy\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\STM32F4\cores\maple/libmaple/usbF4 -IC:\Users\Jeremy\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\STM32F4\cores\maple/libmaple/usbF4/STM32_USB_Device_Library/Core/inc -IC:\Users\Jeremy\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\STM32F4\cores\maple/libmaple/usbF4/STM32_USB_Device_Library/Class/cdc/inc -IC:\Users\Jeremy\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\STM32F4\cores\maple/libmaple/usbF4/STM32_USB_OTG_Driver/inc -IC:\Users\Jeremy\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\STM32F4\cores\maple/libmaple/usbF4/VCP -IC:\Users\Jeremy\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\STM32F4\cores\maple -IC:\Users\Jeremy\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\STM32F4\variants\discovery_f407 C:\Users\Jeremy\AppData\Local\Temp\build1675897870998772419.tmp\sketch_aug04a.cpp -o C:\Users\Jeremy\AppData\Local\Temp\build1675897870998772419.tmp\sketch_aug04a.cpp.o 

In file included from C:\Users\Jeremy\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\STM32F4\cores\maple/wirish.h:45:0,
                 from C:\Users\Jeremy\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\STM32F4\cores\maple/WProgram.h:27,
                 from C:\Users\Jeremy\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\STM32F4\cores\maple/Arduino.h:3,
                 from sketch_aug04a.ino:1:
c:\users\jeremy\appdata\roaming\arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\4.8.3-2014q1\arm-none-eabi\include\stdlib.h:67:5: error: expected unqualified-id before 'int'
 int _EXFUN(abs,(int));
     ^
c:\users\jeremy\appdata\roaming\arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\4.8.3-2014q1\arm-none-eabi\include\stdlib.h:67:5: error: expected ')' before 'int'
c:\users\jeremy\appdata\roaming\arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\4.8.3-2014q1\arm-none-eabi\include\stdlib.h:67:5: error: expected ')' before 'int'
Error compiling.
I should note that the F1 boards compiled (verified) fine. I don't have one to test with though. Just F0 and F4 discovery boards.

I know that the F4 has been on your back burner but I figured I could start porting the F1 libraries but the basic empty sketch doesn't work either?

My next question is, I don't see any mention of using ST-LINK or DFU in the uploader selection box. Did I miss something? Must the programs be uploaded using a USB to Serial UART and some sort of bootloader like the arduino?

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:52 pm

umm

When did you download the repo. I updated the repo last week with a fix for a similar bug.

Can you try updating with the latest copy of the repo

thanks