Using Arduino for STM32 with Visual Studio 2013

Windows XP,Vista,7,8 and 8.1 etc
RogerClark

Re: Using Arduino for STM32 with Visual Studio 2013

Post by RogerClark » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:12 am

last time I looked at Visual Micro it was not usable, because it didnt support the menu's within the boards.txt boards.

We use these sub-menus to select the upload method, e.g. STLink or DFU.

I think someone wrote that the menu's had now been added to VisualMicro, but I've been too busy to look at this, as the primary focus is on getting the core code to work, only focusing on the Arduino IDE.

Visual Micro is not the only alternative IDE that people could possibly use, e.g. Eclipse may also be an option and these is ucide (I think I spelt it correctly), just to name 2 others.

Its not really practical for me to support much more than the core - using the Arduino IDE. Everything else is basically a third party product, so if something doesnt work on Visual Micro, that does work on the Arduino IDE, then basically the other IDE is not replicating what the Arduino IDE does.

I know it could be argued that perhaps the IDE is not operating as it should be and the STM32 is only working via a loophole etc, but the IDE third party board support docs are really quite minimal.
So ultimately the spec to confirm to is how the Arduino IDE its self operates.

stuartw

Post by stuartw » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:53 pm

Yes, sorry my post was directed at visual micro people Roger, I know you have far better things to work on :)

The good news is the menus are starting to appear - I think the upload selection is the major missing piece at
present, so hopefully they find time to have a look in that area (or I was missing something, which is of course
quite possible).

stuartw

Post by stuartw » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:15 am

Just to add a little more information..

Playing around some more tonight I have managed to get reasonably working builds and upload via DFU in the VS2013.
I *think* I added a new menu to the ribbon bar area that allowed me to select the programmer (ST-Link and DFU, etc)
which was something along the lines of 'Upload Method', however it vanished again after some testing, and for the life
of me I cannot get it to return - however it did work for a while! it appeared just before the dropdown for selecting
bootloader.

I would love to know how to get it back - and then the next step will be to try and hook some kind of debugging.

Certainly far from plug and play though..